Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 05:17 PM

778 posts, read 840,151 times

Advertisements

I found it! It was in Stanton Heights this morning where I slid down a hill and then my car got hit by not one, not two, but three other vehicles that did the exact same thing. I think I'm done with winter now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 07:23 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,895,961 times
You guys wasnt satisfied until we got a "real" winter...Well here it is, Polar Vortex... Personally Im fine, just keep the big snow storms away. I have NO PROBLEM with anything else

- Grey Skies
- Polar Vortex Cold
- Up and Down Temps
- Rain
- Wind

Nothing, just keep the "Buffalo" sized snow storms away.

Old 01-05-2015, 07:39 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theta_sigma View Post
I found it! It was in Stanton Heights this morning where I slid down a hill and then my car got hit by not one, not two, but three other vehicles that did the exact same thing. I think I'm done with winter now.
Oh, my Gosh! Is everyone OK?

Old 01-05-2015, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Oh, my Gosh! Is everyone OK?
Amazingly, yes, we're all fine. My 2-year-old son was with me and I managed to get him out of the car between the second and third hits (the third was the worst).

But now Geico wants to charge me my deductible x 3 because it's technically 3 different accidents. I wasn't at fault, I was parked the whole time (and not even in the car for crash #3) and everyone I know is telling me "They can't do that!" but... can't they? I can't find anything online indicating they can't.

I just wrote a nastygram to Deb Gross about the fact that all of Stanton Heights, including Stanton Ave., was a sheet of ice at 8 AM this morning. I've never seen anything like it, and I've lived through a lot of Pittsburgh winters and crappy Public Works road treatment.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:05 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Quote:

I just wrote a nastygram to Deb Gross about the fact that all of Stanton Heights, including Stanton Ave., was a sheet of ice at 8 AM this morning. I've never seen anything like it, and I've lived through a lot of Pittsburgh winters and crappy Public Works road treatment.

Ms. Gross is just a legislator, a city council woman.

The Public Works Department reports to the mayor's office, that's where your ire should be directed I think.

I thought it was pretty slippy out there too this morning, the city owned Plummer St. was a sheet of ice, but the 40th St. Bridge and 28 were cool. Does look like the city wasn't up to snuff this morning.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:12 PM

I know Deb Gross can't herself do anything about it, but her office has been good to me in the past with forwarding my concerns on to the various departments that need to hear them, with the extra added oomph of coming from her office. I'm sure Public Works hears the rants of millions of angry Pittsburghers all day every day. And they screwed up big time this morning. I mean, school wasn't even delayed, was it? But many major arteries around 15201 and 15207 were completely impassable. My husband said that when he left for work (earlier than me) there was a school bus going sideways up Stanton that he and several other cars just missed hitting by the skin of their teeth.

I'm a very good winter driver and I drive a Subaru so for me to say that things were bad--they were bad.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:16 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,243,863 times
Quote:

I'm a very good winter driver and I drive a Subaru so for me to say that things were bad--they were bad.
Bummer - sorry you had hassles this morning. Luckily around Sq Hill it was fine - I rode in about 8-ish and never felt the need to tremble. From fear anyway.

Good luck with the insurance. Snow tonight, so hopefully your roads will be grippier. Winter has its hazards, no doubt!!

Old 01-05-2015, 08:18 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,595,436 times
Quote:
Amazingly, yes, we're all fine. My 2-year-old son was with me and I managed to get him out of the car between the second and third hits (the third was the worst).

But now Geico wants to charge me my deductible x 3 because it's technically 3 different accidents. I wasn't at fault, I was parked the whole time (and not even in the car for crash #3) and everyone I know is telling me "They can't do that!" but... can't they? I can't find anything online indicating they can't.

Conditions vary so much in such a little distance. There was no issue in Squirrel Hill or Oakland at that time. I couldn't see any sign that the roads were treated.

Also, if the other cars hit you after you were parked, I don't think what your insurance company says about deductibles matters. Assuming the people who hit you weren't uninsured.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:20 PM

480 posts, read 611,845 times
Quote:

1. That really doesn't surprise me about Geico, I had nothing but horrible experiences with them last year after my accident. I dropped them as soon as my claim was wrapped up.

2. I have found Deb Gross to be sort of incompetent when it comes to Public Works issues in her district. I sent numerous pothole complaints about a certain intersection to 311 with zero luck on getting them filled and I tweeted to her a few times before she gave me some lame excuse about lack of road funding for paving. I never asked for it to be repaved, just wanted the craters fixed near the 40th St bridge on the city side.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:32 AM

540 posts, read 868,384 times
Quote:
And they screwed up big time this morning. I mean, school wasn't even delayed, was it?
Sorry to hear about your troubles today. The city schools were delayed 2 hours. Many of my co-workers had awful (2-3 times normal) commutes. My short drive to the Hamnett park and ride was slippery, but not awful. As usual, Swissvale had the clearest roads out of the 4 municipalities on that drive (Pittsburgh, Swissvale, Edgewood, Wilkinsburg).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh