Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 04:45 AM

32,606 posts, read 77,287,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
I do remember - am I correct - no less than THREE car lots in that area. Strange how at the time you don't think of it, but when it's gone, you think fondly of it. Is that a Porsche dealer up the street (much closer to Craig Street), or another luxury car? I walk by their building on occassion - I think their floor space and those cars are just so beautiful.
Yep. Right near Baum & North Craig is the Auto Palace Porsche dealership. A block down the street is Mercedes-Benz of Pittsburgh, which is also home to the city's Smart Car dealership. Just down from there is P&W BMW, with a MINI dealership across the street from that. That's pretty much the end of Pittsburgh's "historic auto row". If you're not an East Ender with zillions to plunk down for one of these cars you shop along Route 51, for the most part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 08:58 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,933,215 times
There is still the Honda dealer on Liberty in Bloomfield, a couple blocks off Baum. It's where I got my little Honda that uses economy gas, economy tires, and is closing in on 100,000 miles.

Old 01-19-2015, 09:02 AM

32,606 posts, read 77,287,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
There is still the Honda dealer on Liberty in Bloomfield, a couple blocks off Baum. It's where I got my little Honda that uses economy gas, economy tires, and is closing in on 100,000 miles.
Yep. I bought my Honda Fit there, too. I was very displeased with the sales team, but I've been very happy with the service department.

Old 01-22-2015, 02:38 PM

52 posts, read 74,887 times
I'm sorry I found this topic so late. Bottom Dollar was the vehicle Delhaize used to expand their footprint into Pennsylvania and bordering Ohio. The concept worked well in a lot of the stores, but not in others. A new management team simply wanted to cut the concept loose before the debt of building the new stores was paid down. I feel if they used their Food Lion brand here and built up from there slowly they would have had success in this market. Food Lion is found in central PA and a lot of the southeast. Their parent is no stranger to pulling out of markets. Food Lion abandoned Florida on a whim last decade.

Pittsburgh is dying for another full line grocer that has the "balls" to play in Giant Eagle's court. Independents like Shop N Save, Kuhn's (and upper middle grocers with only a few locations like Whole Foods, Trader Joes) are barely able to compete with 500 lb Giant Gorilla, I mean, Eagle.

Old 01-22-2015, 07:54 PM

6,357 posts, read 5,008,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by king26 View Post
Pittsburgh is dying for another full line grocer that has the "balls" to play in Giant Eagle's court. Independents like Shop N Save, Kuhn's (and upper middle grocers with only a few locations like Whole Foods, Trader Joes) are barely able to compete with 500 lb Giant Gorilla, I mean, Eagle.
How do you see Shop N Save as a competitor? You stated they "are barely able to compete". To me, competition is the ability to provide what I think people need (meet, milk, etc.) regularly, at a lower price than someone else.

Shop N Save never wins this, compared to Giant Eagle.

My view on their customer service is that it is...horrible.

Why CAN'T they get a store running like a well-oiled, efficient machine? My first thought is they don't have the prime locations.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:47 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,777,226 times
There's basically no one to come in here. Kroger's never coming back. Giant Eagle has bought out the regional chains to the west. The regional chains to the east like Giant, are worse than Giant Eagle. I've read where Wegman's and Giant Eagle have an unwritten agreement not to encroach on each other's home markets, and even if they came in, they would only open a handful of big stores, in affluent areas. I almost wish GE would go ahead and expand into DC. The competition with Wegman's would make them tighten up their game.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:59 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,203,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
How do you see Shop N Save as a competitor? You stated they "are barely able to compete". To me, competition is the ability to provide what I think people need (meet, milk, etc.) regularly, at a lower price than someone else.

Shop N Save never wins this, compared to Giant Eagle.
The Shop n Save down here in L'ville is pretty subpar, but the one across the bridge on Babcock in Shaler is clean and the meat looks good over there.

Giant Eagle's prices aren't that great, but I do a lot of grocery shopping for staples over at Wal-Mart which definitely as lower prices, as well as at the Family Dollar for a lot of items.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:10 PM

6,081 posts, read 4,557,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by king26 View Post
I'm sorry I found this topic so late. Bottom Dollar was the vehicle Delhaize used to expand their footprint into Pennsylvania and bordering Ohio. The concept worked well in a lot of the stores, but not in others. A new management team simply wanted to cut the concept loose before the debt of building the new stores was paid down. I feel if they used their Food Lion brand here and built up from there slowly they would have had success in this market. Food Lion is found in central PA and a lot of the southeast. Their parent is no stranger to pulling out of markets. Food Lion abandoned Florida on a whim last decade.

I'm not in PA but found this thread in the "newest threads" tab and was surprised that Botton Dollar is still around.

It started as a prototype as a lower priced version of Food Lion in my area (I'm in NC where Food Llon began before it was sold off to Delhaize in Belgium) and really started off like a larger, cleaner version of ALDI with great prices and extra clean stores (cleaner than many of the Food Lion stores), but slowly the prices crept up and the upkeep of the stores went down before they closed. All of the Bottom Dollars here have been converted to Food Lions (probably for about a couple of years now).

Old 01-22-2015, 09:26 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,842,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
I almost wish GE would go ahead and expand into DC. The competition with Wegman's would make them tighten up their game.
Unfortunately that might end up screwing us even more as they would have to have lower prices in those markets, & could jack our (safe for them) market up even more to cover the 'discount'.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:31 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,777,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Unfortunately that might end up screwing us even more as they would have to have lower prices in those markets, & could jack our (safe for them) market up even more to cover the 'discount'.
Maybe, but I'm sure they would only open Market Districts there. The competition outside of the relatively few stores that Wegman's has is pretty weak. They wouldn't be down in Frederick if they weren't at least thinking about taking the leap. DC is such a big, and affluent market that it wouldn't be that hard for them to find a niche there. They could also open dozens of Get-Go's, as the DC market is woefully underserved with regard to convenience stores. I go down there frequently, and it's amazing how few large convenience stores they have. Sheetz, and Wawa are starting to creep into the area, but there is room for dozens of outlets there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh