Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 08:53 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,957,958 times

Advertisements

The way you look may have something to do with it. A new haircut and outfit can work wonders. If you want a pretty woman you will have to stand out in the crowd.......and drive a car. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 08:55 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quackxp View Post
Side rant, if this is a city of couples. Where are the couples without kids? I'm 35 and my wife is 29 and we don't have kid and its not on the immediate future plans. Finding others in their late 20's early 30's who don't have kids is difficult.

I work in IT and its %95 male here. Just about everyone is either single or married with children.
Of my friends in their late 20s/ early 30s its about a 50/50 split of those with or without kids so we're out there somewhere

Old 01-09-2015, 09:40 AM

89 posts, read 216,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jea6321 View Post
being single is what you make of it no matter your location. like it or not, online dating sites have become the most effective way for finding people who fit a certain lifestyle. Give it a shot and you might change your tune.
Yea but the thing is their are a lot of fake dating sites out their as well.

Old 01-09-2015, 09:48 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,687,417 times
What's wrong with a girl who drinks? Smoking I get, I can't handle that either. But a girl who enjoys wine is somehow unworthy? May need to do a little self inventory internally and externally. May solve your problem.

Old 01-09-2015, 09:50 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,718,517 times
I'd say it's about a 60/40 split for me for those who have kids and those who do not in my social circles. It's likely that the number who do have kids will increase as many are planning.

Obviously not a scientific study with sample size of a few dozen families, but in my personal experience is that when you are child free you are not the norm here.

Old 01-09-2015, 10:05 AM

373 posts, read 378,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
What's wrong with a girl who drinks? Smoking I get, I can't handle that either. But a girl who enjoys wine is somehow unworthy? May need to do a little self inventory internally and externally. May solve your problem.
I took 'drinking' to mean heavily.

Old 01-09-2015, 10:32 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,243,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
I'd say it's about a 60/40 split for me for those who have kids and those who do not in my social circles. It's likely that the number who do have kids will increase as many are planning.

Obviously not a scientific study with sample size of a few dozen families, but in my personal experience is that when you are child free you are not the norm here.
And not the norm anywhere. Once again Pgh is ascribed characteristics that are totally representative of the rest of the USA. Some evidence - from Childfree - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Being a childfree American adult was considered bizarre in the 1950s.[11][12] However, the proportion of childfree adults in the population has increased significantly since then. In 2003, a U.S. Census study found that a record 19% of U.S. women age 40–44 did not have children (compared with 10% in 1976). A 2004 U.S. Census study found that 18.4% of U.S. women age 35–44 were childfree."

Given these statistics, if you are childfree you are extremely unlikely to be the norm anywhere. What a shock ...

Old 01-09-2015, 10:45 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,145,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quackxp View Post
Side rant, if this is a city of couples. Where are the couples without kids? I'm 35 and my wife is 29 and we don't have kid and its not on the immediate future plans. Finding others in their late 20's early 30's who don't have kids is difficult.
Like literally everything else in the world, this is contextual. I am 31 and my wife and I are the only of our "close" friends (I'd count 15-20 people in this boat) who have a child. Even in terms of our "extended friend group" (increasing that circle to 100-200 people), we are by far in the minority... I'd say 10-15% of even our acquaintances between 20-40 have kids, tops.

DISCLAIMER: We exist, demographically, at the often-childless intersection of liberal/artsy and professional/career-oriented. We also live in the city.

I'm just saying... childless 20- and 30-somethings are definitely out there. I know because apparently we are hogging all of them.

Old 01-09-2015, 11:05 AM

24 posts, read 27,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouristExplorer281 View Post
Ok I'm not bashing the of what it has to offer this time but pittsburgh really hasn't been a good place for young singles; and I've noticed this since I lived here for 14 years. It seems like every time you turn around all the hot girls are in a relationship with a guy. Literally like every fine girl you see around this town. Their are no good looking girls in Pittsburgh that don't smoke and drink...what I've seen, they either do one or the other. That's what I'm looking for...are their any girls like that around here? Doesn't seem like it..,I've been everywhere around Pittsburgh and haven't found a lot of singles. Their are more singles in New York city and Miami than here. So basically this is the truth if someone wants to find love in the burgh; their not going to find it in Pittsburgh.
There are more singles in NYC for a reason... it is just a giant hook-up scene.

So you want a decent looking girl the doesn't smoke or drink heavily? Attend church or get a gym membership. Maybe a wine bar will yield someone closer to your tastes in a more social atmosphere. Volunteering is also a good way to meet good people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jea6321 View Post
being single is what you make of it no matter your location. like it or not, online dating sites have become the most effective way for finding people who fit a certain lifestyle. Give it a shot and you might change your tune.
There is a lot of truth to this. Almost every single girl these days has an active online dating account on at least one website. Tinder is the hook-up app, so you will find more of the girls you dislike on there.

Sign up to a website and find a girl to go out with for a coffee or a glass of wine. Online dating is not very similar to the old fashioned way when it comes to the first date. Save the dinners for later dates once you can tell the girl is legitimately interested in pursuing a relationship with you. Do fun activities or simply hang out for your first few dates. Girls in online dating are often going on dates with a handful of men simultaneously. Therefore, one shouldn't put much money into the dates until a relationship seems inevitable.

Old 01-09-2015, 11:06 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,718,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
Given these statistics, if you are childfree you are extremely unlikely to be the norm anywhere. What a shock ...
Well yeah, I wasn't denying that but rather answering the previous poster. However, if you are childfree in Japan you'll be in good company!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh