U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 10:05 AM

140 posts, read 294,011 times

Advertisements

I just found this website on the Singer Mansion in Wilkinsburg. It has the floor plans, and a couple of pictures of the inside from the 1960's. What a cool house!! Does anybody know what's going on with it these days? I read in a PHLF newsletter that it is going to be restored by new owners, but also read that the property is caught in some type of legal limbo with estates, etc.

John F. Singer House Mansion, Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2015, 10:16 AM

2,627 posts, read 1,940,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennHillsNative80 View Post
I just found this website on the Singer Mansion in Wilkinsburg. It has the floor plans, and a couple of pictures of the inside from the 1960's. What a cool house!! Does anybody know what's going on with it these days? I read in a PHLF newsletter that it is going to be restored by new owners, but also read that the property is caught in some type of legal limbo with estates, etc.

John F. Singer House Mansion, Pittsburgh Pennsylvania

Singer Place is actually Homewood. It is off of Oakwood (before it becomes Wood Street in Wilkinsburg) There are some amazing homes in that area. I have not drove up Singer Place in years and I am not sure if this house is still standing. I will drive up there and report back.

Old 01-10-2015, 10:43 AM

618 posts, read 601,040 times
It is still standing. It's in a family trust and needs work. Seems like they are keeping it up at the bare minimum but I'd be curious if anyone has further details.

Old 01-10-2015, 11:06 AM

I just did an Allegheny County Assessment search on the property, and it lists it as being in Wilkinsburg, however it is just a few parcels away from the Pittsburgh line. It looks like the streets of Tioga, Moosehart, and McKee are the dividing lines between the city and the borough. The house next to the Singer Mansion (which appears to be owned by the same people or family that owns the mansion) is also quite beautiful.

Oakwood has some great homes but so many are in sad states of disrepair.

I was reading online that the Singer Mansion originally had 70 acres of land that went with the property, including a small lake. It was divided into apartments at one time and also served as a rooming house. From what I read, in the late 60's, the apartments were taken out and it was turned back into a single family dwelling.

Old 01-10-2015, 11:12 AM

Quote:
I just did an Allegheny County Assessment search on the property, and it lists it as being in Wilkinsburg, however it is just a few parcels away from the Pittsburgh line. It looks like the streets of Tioga, Moosehart, and McKee are the dividing lines between the city and the borough. The house next to the Singer Mansion (which appears to be owned by the same people or family that owns the mansion) is also quite beautiful.

I was reading online that the Singer Mansion originally had 70 acres of land that went with the property, including a small lake. It was divided into apartments at one time and also served as a rooming house. From what I read, in the late 60's, the apartments were taken out and it was turned back into a single family dwelling.
That sounds about right. As a teen there was a bar (Dolphin) in that area. People would refer to it as the only bar in Wilkinsburg but it is actually on the Homewood border. The house was maintained through the 90s and I am glad to hear that it is still with us.

Old 01-10-2015, 11:25 AM

2,861 posts, read 2,405,801 times
5 bedrooms and only 2 bathrooms, how did they ever manage back then.

i would love to see the inside today. i love the marble stair treads.

Old 01-10-2015, 11:50 AM

2,576 posts, read 2,689,787 times
Quote:

Have a look at the Pittsburgh Historic Maps - in 1872, it is just to the right of (B)Rushton Station, there is a green triangle. If you scroll, you can see that the property previously belonged to a J. Kelly; then it is listed as "Mrs. Singer".
This map (1895) shows the size of the estate (below the "N" in Brushton).

Old 01-10-2015, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
5 bedrooms and only 2 bathrooms, how did they ever manage back then.

i would love to see the inside today. i love the marble stair treads.
A home built in 1869 would be lucky to have one bathroom. The bathrooms were probably installed in the 1910s or 1920s. They most likely sacraficed a bedroom or two for the 2 bathrooms.

Old 01-10-2015, 01:28 PM

1,106 posts, read 984,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
A home built in 1869 would be lucky to have one bathroom. The bathrooms were probably installed in the 1910s or 1920s. They most likely sacraficed a bedroom or two for the 2 bathrooms.
I laughed about the two bathrooms too.
Although that was progressive then, now people want at least one bathroom per bedroom.
And some of my friends with kids act like their children would suffer terribly if they had to share a bedroom. My parents thought it was character building.
I loved looking at the plans. What exactly is a breakfast room? I assume it is for less formal meals but I couldn't find much about it, even using the Googles.
I love the way old houses tell us about the social history of a place and time.

Old 01-10-2015, 02:15 PM

These maps are awesome! It looks like "Singer Place" street was originally called Allison Street.

I'm reading things online that parts of the movie "The Spiral Staircase" was filmed there in the 1940's. Does anybody know if that is true?

I am glad that the property is being maintained and not left to rot away, but am sad to see the state of neglect that it's in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh