Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 07:08 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,644,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
But you really have to work at it to meet single, desirable women over 35 here.
Whoa! You must not be working hard enough. I'll have you know that I'm well over 35 and very desirable. :roll eyes:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl-Cns View Post
Having moved to Pittsburgh from New York a few years ago I think the major difference (besides shear volume of drivers) is that traffic in Pittsburgh is completely predictable. It can be awful, it's true, but you know it's going to be bad during the morning and evening rush, during inclement weather, and anytime there is a major event going on in town. That's about it. But that's easy to plan around. In NY/NJ there is no planning. You can be driving along somewhere at 1am and all of the sudden you're unexpectedly caught in 2 hours of standstill or slow moving traffic because of rubbernecking at an accident that occurred 3 hours ago on the other side of the highway.
As someone who moved here from the SF Bay Area, which I believe is one of the top 10 worst places for traffic congestion in the US, I couldn't agree more. My daily commute took me 1.5 hours each way. Longer if there was a Giants game or any other major event, accident, storm, full moon...

Old 04-27-2015, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interstate 35 South View Post
Update:It did seem like I saw a lot more smokers than I normally see around here. This varies from region to region and maybe it was due to the areas I visited, but it was noticeable.[/font]
OMG, it seems like just about everyone smokes here - except for my neighbors. I'm from CA and we've had aggressive non-smoking laws along with lots of health conscious citizens for decades. I hate being around smoking. It's one of my pet peeves about the area. I just hope the trend toward healthier living takes hold in the region. Don't get me wrong, I love living here. Like anywhere, there are things I don't like, but overall I think it's a great place to call home.

Old 04-27-2015, 08:58 PM

50 posts, read 156,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodjules View Post
OMG, it seems like just about everyone smokes here - except for my neighbors. I'm from CA and we've had aggressive non-smoking laws along with lots of health conscious citizens for decades. I hate being around smoking. It's one of my pet peeves about the area. I just hope the trend toward healthier living takes hold in the region. Don't get me wrong, I love living here. Like anywhere, there are things I don't like, but overall I think it's a great place to call home.
So it wasn't just me then that noticed this! I'm like you in that I don't like it either. I'm more of the health/fitness-oriented type and I felt like I was a little bit of a fish out of water in that respect.

Kansas City isn't exactly a hotspot for healthy living compared to CA or CO, but I saw many more smokers in PA than I have in a long time. I stayed at a pretty nice smoke free hotel, and literally every time I went from my room to the car or vice versa there was at least one smoker outside. It didn't matter whether I was in the suburbs or the city. It was pretty much everywhere. I would be sitting at a stoplight and smell the smoke from the people in the car in front of me. I would be biking down some narrow winding road to see a resident of a nearby house with a cigarette hanging out his mouth while walking to his mailbox. The guys sitting near me at the Pirates game were certainly smokers (dried out/leather faced, one of which had a pack of Marlboros in his front shirt pocket). Those are just a few examples.

No place is perfect and people certainly have a right to smoke if they want to. Personally I think it's kind of sad given it's an expensive and medically detrimental habit, but to each their own.

Since I was there alone I didn't go into any bars or restaurants. Have the municipalities/townships banned smoking in eating and drinking establishments, or are there still smoking sections there?

Last edited by Interstate 35 South; 04-27-2015 at 08:59 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-28-2015, 06:13 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,914,913 times
Our state laws suck in regards to indoor smoking. They pretty much half-*ssed it when they put them on the books. I believe all restaurants are smoke free, but if a bar generates more than 40% of its revenue from food it cannot have smoking or something like that. Basically old dive bars, you can smoke but newer bars you cannot.

Goodjules....I know you went to the Brookline bar crawl last year and found the bars to be really smokey. Good news...the Brookline Pub recently went smoke free, and they have great wings and a huge craft beer selection.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:50 AM

697 posts, read 777,796 times
Quote:
So it wasn't just me then that noticed this! I'm like you in that I don't like it either. I'm more of the health/fitness-oriented type and I felt like I was a little bit of a fish out of water in that respect.

Kansas City isn't exactly a hotspot for healthy living compared to CA or CO, but I saw many more smokers in PA than I have in a long time. I stayed at a pretty nice smoke free hotel, and literally every time I went from my room to the car or vice versa there was at least one smoker outside. It didn't matter whether I was in the suburbs or the city. It was pretty much everywhere. I would be sitting at a stoplight and smell the smoke from the people in the car in front of me. I would be biking down some narrow winding road to see a resident of a nearby house with a cigarette hanging out his mouth while walking to his mailbox. The guys sitting near me at the Pirates game were certainly smokers (dried out/leather faced, one of which had a pack of Marlboros in his front shirt pocket). Those are just a few examples.

No place is perfect and people certainly have a right to smoke if they want to. Personally I think it's kind of sad given it's an expensive and medically detrimental habit, but to each their own.

Since I was there alone I didn't go into any bars or restaurants. Have the municipalities/townships banned smoking in eating and drinking establishments, or are there still smoking sections there?
I do notice the smoking thing more here than in other areas we visit. Except the south, still see it there, prob because of the tobacco industry presence.

I was at the WaterWorks (strip mall) last weekend. I noticed they posted signs on the posts outside stores that smoking isn't permitted. I'm not there often so unsure if they are new but that's awesome, even if there will be a few who ignore it. Most healthcare buildings have smoke free zones so patients (yes) and staff who smoke have to cross the street or go outside the perimeter to smoke. The zoo is smoke free. Kennywood has smoking sections. I've never been to a restaurant/bar that has smoking but imagine they exist somewhere.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Our state laws suck in regards to indoor smoking. They pretty much half-*ssed it when they put them on the books. I believe all restaurants are smoke free, but if a bar generates more than 40% of its revenue from food it cannot have smoking or something like that. Basically old dive bars, you can smoke but newer bars you cannot.

Goodjules....I know you went to the Brookline bar crawl last year and found the bars to be really smokey. Good news...the Brookline Pub recently went smoke free, and they have great wings and a huge craft beer selection.
Whoo hoo! I'll definitely be going back if it's smoke free. I'll be sure to tell the management it's why I returned.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:43 AM

Quote:

I go into bars and restaurants alone all the time. Sit at the bar and you'll be able to strike up a conversation with the bartender and other patrons. As a newcomer, I find it a fun way to get to know the locals. I prefer places that serve food because they are more likely to be non smoking with fewer drunks.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:49 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,526,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyDaisy View Post
I do notice the smoking thing more here than in other areas we visit. Except the south, still see it there, prob because of the tobacco industry presence.

I was at the WaterWorks (strip mall) last weekend. I noticed they posted signs on the posts outside stores that smoking isn't permitted. I'm not there often so unsure if they are new but that's awesome, even if there will be a few who ignore it. Most healthcare buildings have smoke free zones so patients (yes) and staff who smoke have to cross the street or go outside the perimeter to smoke. The zoo is smoke free. Kennywood has smoking sections. I've never been to a restaurant/bar that has smoking but imagine they exist somewhere.
I think the Waterworks signs are pretty new.

Years ago St. Margaret's Hospital went smoke free and next thing you know people would walk into Aspinwall to smoke. Didn't go over very well.

Kennywood should be smoke free.

Old 04-28-2015, 05:44 PM

50 posts, read 156,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodjules View Post
I go into bars and restaurants alone all the time. Sit at the bar and you'll be able to strike up a conversation with the bartender and other patrons. As a newcomer, I find it a fun way to get to know the locals. I prefer places that serve food because they are more likely to be non smoking with fewer drunks.
I wish I could have talked to some PA natives while I was there, but I typically don't try to chat up random strangers in public due to the stranger-danger mentality that is so prevalent these days. As a woman you can get away with that, but as a guy people think you have alterior motives in one way or another (especially if you are a woman) if you even bring up a simple question to someone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
40% of revenue from food vs. alcohol seems like a pretty ambiguous standard. Sounds like bars are hit and miss as far as smoking. My approach is that if an establishment allows smoking, I don't patronize it period. I am glad to hear restaurants are smoke free - that is what matters the most as I'm not one who frequents bars that much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh