U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 03:54 PM

29,091 posts, read 33,093,514 times
Not really, but he lives in the same area. I was his FB and lead blocker too. Hopefully, I will come across him and see how he is doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 11:33 PM

2 posts, read 4,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I'm also in an interracial relationship with kids. So, I understand the concern. Some people just make some things something totally different though.
Hi,
I reside in Brentwood and have raised 5 children ages 5 to 20. My 8 & 9 y/o's close friends, are sibling's, african-american, and play at my home often. I do not know what caused the subject to arise, but when visiting the other day, the 8 y/o, sincerely informed me, they had moved here 2 yrs. ago, because his parents wanted him to be safe. He relayed that where he went to school before was "too scarey". I'm sure some of what has been said is true of Brentwood, but found it isn't the norm with the younger generations/families. As far as the children and school here, there is no prejudice or difficulities. Actually, the school principal has a bi-racial child that attends the school in my 9 y/o's grade. However, I have worked in Human Services all over Allegheny County, and it is true that Brentwood isn't very diverse. My children have a few other African-American friends, and they all seem very well adjusted and happy here in school and socializing.

Shadyside, Oakland, and Swissvale are all very nice neighborhoods, and are not only diverse, but are located nearby a wide variety of more diversified activities, schools, etc... for the children to do -beside your basic usual i.e. dance school, park, ect... I wish we were closer to get my children more invovled in some different things. They did attend summer camp at the "Center for the Arts" in Shadyside. I know several families that reside in these area's and their children attend very, very good school's there too. The 'Pittsburgh Parent Magazine" and "United Way" web site's may be good resources too, as well as, the "About" web site on Pittsburgh...I hope this helped.

Old 01-25-2009, 11:36 PM

2 posts, read 4,525 times
Hi,
I reside in Brentwood and have raised 5 children ages 5 to 20. My 8 & 9 y/o's close friends, are sibling's, african-american, and play at my home often. I do not know what caused the subject to arise, but when visiting the other day, the 8 y/o, sincerely informed me, they had moved here 2 yrs. ago, because his parents wanted him to be safe. He relayed that where he went to school before was "too scarey". I'm sure some of what has been said is true of Brentwood, but found it isn't the norm with the younger generations/families. As far as the children and school here, there is no prejudice or difficulities. Actually, the school principal has a bi-racial child that attends the school in my 9 y/o's grade. However, I have worked in Human Services all over Allegheny County, and it is true that Brentwood isn't very diverse. My children have a few other African-American friends, and they all seem very well adjusted and happy here in school and socializing.

Shadyside, Oakland, and Swissvale are all very nice neighborhoods, and are not only diverse, but are located nearby a wide variety of more diversified activities, schools, etc... for the children to do -beside your basic usual i.e. dance school, park, ect... I wish we were closer to get my children more invovled in some different things. They did attend summer camp at the "Center for the Arts" in Shadyside. I know several families that reside in these area's and their children attend very, very good school's there too. The 'Pittsburgh Parent Magazine" and "United Way" web site's may be good resources too, as well as, the "About" web site on Pittsburgh...I hope this helped.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:40 PM

62 posts, read 224,783 times
CRIME RISK INDEX
100= national average

zip 15215 zip 15201 zip 15208
crime risk 24 crime risk 196 crime risk 229

hispanic .. 1.4% hispanic .. .8 hispanic.. .8%
black ...... 1.4% black ...... 19% black ..... 74%
white ...... 95% white ...... 76% white ..... 22%

How much diversity would you like for your son ?

Old 01-27-2009, 03:44 PM

That didn't post as I typed it.
Sorry.
Bob

Old 01-27-2009, 07:42 PM

3,134 posts, read 5,418,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Osborne View Post
That didn't post as I typed it.
Sorry.
Bob
You can go back and edit it so that it's understandable. Where did you get the information?

Old 01-27-2009, 09:46 PM

Mr. Rabbit,
Always do your own sourcing. Multiple unrelated sites. .Gov prefered. Thats what I did.
Thanks for the editing tip.

Bob

Old 01-28-2009, 11:28 AM

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

postgazette.com
local news / crime stats
part 1 table 2
zip codes 15207 & 15208

This lists serious or violent crimes. I chose those two
because of their demographic similarities with the exception
of race. They are good examples of what's typical and
represent what the index infers.
I'm usually to busy dodging beer cans and invectives
to notice how great this diversity thing is.

Last edited by Yac; 02-24-2009 at 04:57 AM..

Old 05-05-2009, 11:42 AM

2 posts, read 4,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zip95 View Post
Brentwood is a white ghetto. Century III (Brentwood's mall) is a hole in the ground. Brentwood, more than anywhere else, epitomizes the decline of the South Hills.

First off, Century III Mall is not Brentwood's Mall, that Mall is in West Mifflin and the majority of indiviuals from Brentwood do not shop at that mall, we go to the Village. Secondly, Brentwood is not a ghetto and is a very nice quiet place to raise your children and is graded one of the better school districts despite our size we rank with the larger schools in Allegheny County.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:48 AM

2,043 posts, read 3,054,605 times
I would not move to Brentwood if I were in an interracial relationship.

This thread is old. I wonder if this poster ever moved there. They probably got harassed day and night.

I remember when we used to play them in basketball. I was a cheerleader, and their ignorant fans would call us the N word without any type of hesitation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh