Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 06:31 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,004,813 times

Advertisements

I mourned the day when Drew's Family Restaurant in Forest Hills stopped serving 24 hours--that's some good diner food.

It's funny, last time I was in Pittsburgh a friend and I wanted a late-night slice of pie. Drew's was the place we'd wanted to go, but now they aren't even open until midnight (it's a good thing we called first). We then drove to Ritter's, thinking it would be a sure consolation prize, and lo and behold, it was in the process of closing as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 08:34 PM

814 posts, read 1,150,307 times
Man, some of you guys have high standards for 24-hour food. We're not New York, so Ritter's is perfectly adequate.

Is Tom's Diner on W Liberty Ave 24/7? I seem to remember eating there a few times at weird hours. Its fare is decent.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:56 PM

664 posts, read 807,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
NYWriter - r u in Armstrong County periodically?
Sadly, never.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:34 PM

373 posts, read 378,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that412 View Post
Ritter's is perfectly adequate
Aim higher. Even Eat n Park is better.

Old 01-22-2015, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProFiction View Post
Aim higher. Even Eat n Park is better.
Let's not get carried away here.

Old 01-22-2015, 05:51 AM

664 posts, read 807,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
Let's not get carried away here.
Oh come now.

Ritter's does make Eat 'n' Park look like dining at the Waldorf-Astoria.

The last time I was at Ritter's it really did live up to the standards of the "greasy spoon"; the spoons really were greasy!

Old 01-22-2015, 05:58 AM

1,106 posts, read 1,163,836 times
I have never understood all of the anti-Eat n Park sentiments.
Of course it is not fine dining, but I think it is perfectly good for breakfast fare.
We often go to the one at the Waterfront. The food is good, the place is clean, and the servers are pleasant.
Meanwhile people line up for an hour to go to Pamela's, which I can never understand. Pamela's is fine, but nothing special. They are also much more likely to have surly servers and a sticky floor (at least in Squirrel Hill).

Old 01-22-2015, 06:30 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charisb View Post
Meanwhile people line up for an hour to go to Pamela's, which I can never understand. Pamela's is fine, but nothing special. They are also much more likely to have surly servers and a sticky floor (at least in Squirrel Hill).
I go to Pamela's early, when the line has yet to form. Though I've never had the surly waiter issue -- no one has ever been less than polite, though part of their job is to get you in and out ASAP -- the food isn't worth standing on line for. An hour? No way. I mean, they serve fake maple syrup. Maybe the floor wouldn't be as sticky if they used the real thing.

Old 01-22-2015, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCTelevisionWriter View Post
Oh come now.

Ritter's does make Eat 'n' Park look like dining at the Waldorf-Astoria.

The last time I was at Ritter's it really did live up to the standards of the "greasy spoon"; the spoons really were greasy!
Let's still not get carried away here.

I like Ritter's for their fried green tomatoes and pastitsio. Everything else is adequate at best.

Old 01-22-2015, 06:38 AM

373 posts, read 378,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I go to Pamela's early, when the line has yet to form. Though I've never had the surly waiter issue -- no one has ever been less than polite, though part of their job is to get you in and out ASAP -- the food isn't worth standing on line for. An hour? No way. I mean, they serve fake maple syrup. Maybe the floor wouldn't be as sticky if they used the real thing.
Yeah, but they also serve incredible pancakes and their potatoes may be the best in the city. Fake syrup be damned
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh