Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 01:56 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,644,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCTelevisionWriter View Post
I've been trying to do just that, but finding the type of home I want in the neighborhoods I want tailored to what I need is about as easy as herding cats.

Much simpler to just build it the way I want. But the way I want is 1915.

Hence the post.
I guess it makes sense to build new if you haven't been able to find what you want in your chosen area. If you were willing to expand your search area, I'm sure you could find a great old house with period details intact. The interior of my home in Crafton is quite similar to the pictures you posted, but the exterior is more of a four square style. I've forgotten how to post photos directly so I'm including a link to a photo album of my home so you can see what I'm talking about. The paint colors are from previous owners. I plan to repaint but I've run out of steam since the remodel. I want a break from projects for awhile. I'll probably get to it in the spring when the temperature is better for opening the windows! https://www.flickr.com/photos/205501...7642367658994/

Link to Craftsmen's Guild for people with old school skills: Craftmen's Guild of PittsburghCraftsmen's Guild 0f Pittsburgh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 11:15 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,644,131 times
Check out this place in Regent Square. I'd buy it just for the floors! Property Photos

Old 01-22-2015, 11:26 PM

995 posts, read 1,114,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodjules View Post
Check out this place in Regent Square. I'd buy it just for the floors! Property Photos
...and the fireplaces...and the windows...

Old 01-23-2015, 03:08 AM

664 posts, read 806,815 times
Yes, this is a jaw-dropping home, but there are several major drawbacks, including:

-- lack of garage

Old 01-23-2015, 05:28 AM

778 posts, read 839,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCTelevisionWriter View Post
Yes, this is a jaw-dropping home, but there are several major drawbacks, including:

-- lack of garage
The listing says it has a 2 car garage.

Old 01-23-2015, 06:35 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,585,203 times
If I don't miss my guess that's a Wilkinsburg property and anyway, it's not what he wants. But then neither were the faux-lonial properties. It'll be interesting to see what it finally sells at, since the property tax on this house, assessed at $282k, is pushing $15k. But none of this, nor the suggestion to buy an older house, addresses the OP's question. I guess the answer is that it just isn't done, not in this market. Even in markets with a "Craftsman" home plan, they just seem to put in the stone pillars on the front to look like a fancy version of a Sears bungalow, but the interiors are still - well, you're not going to see parquet floors. None of the new build examples are anywhere near what he wants.

Old 01-23-2015, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theta_sigma View Post
The listing says it has a 2 car garage.
Correct.

That is insufficient.

Old 01-23-2015, 07:03 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Why don't you buy a big historic house like that then, and also buy out a house next door and knock it down? You'd get a much bigger lot that way, with plenty of room for the 3-4 car garage you apparently desire.

Old 01-23-2015, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
If I don't miss my guess that's a Wilkinsburg property and anyway, it's not what he wants. But then neither were the faux-lonial properties. It'll be interesting to see what it finally sells at, since the property tax on this house, assessed at $282k, is pushing $15k. But none of this, nor the suggestion to buy an older house, addresses the OP's question. I guess the answer is that it just isn't done, not in this market. Even in markets with a "Craftsman" home plan, they just seem to put in the stone pillars on the front to look like a fancy version of a Sears bungalow, but the interiors are still - well, you're not going to see parquet floors. None of the new build examples are anywhere near what he wants.
Thanks. I couldn't have said it better (without sounding snobbish).

And at the risk of sounding snobbish, I've been quite disappointed with what passes for "high end" finishes these days. A "Sosso" house (apparently he's one of the top builders in Pittsburgh these days) just completed in a plan in Franklin Park listed for more than a million dollars (!!!!) smallish with an overblown master suite and three small bedrooms (and not even a living room, just one of those dreadful "great rooms" that have kitchen appliances clustered on one end) had oversized, boxy rooms trimmed out with the same 3-inch baseboard throughout and stock balustrades they use in much lower-end Maronda homes (and I'm not knocking Maronda homes, I'm only making a market-rate comparison here).

Yes, I've been doing my homework, as you can see.

For a MILLION DOLLARS in the Pittsburgh area, I was expecting at least some architectural detail and craftsmanship, not just stock woodwork and cabinetry slapped up inside of a giant empty box (on a crappy hillside lot, no less, that aside from the footprint of the house and driveway was otherwise completely unuseable).

This is why I'm putting feelers out for anyone who might know of any contractors -- even the small guys who typically don't compete with these big guys -- who would be interested in building a house to historic specs.

Old 01-23-2015, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Why don't you buy a big historic house like that then, and also buy out a house next door and knock it down? You'd get a much bigger lot that way, with plenty of room for the 3-4 car garage you apparently desire.
In most municipalities, this is a very costly, time consuming, and in many cases legally impossible option.

Also, given how much money I'm planning on sinking into this project, I need the house to be in a much higher-end neighborhood than Wilkinsburg in order for it to be cost-effective enough to maintain its (increased) value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh