Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 07:45 AM

540 posts, read 865,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
Cute, walkable business district! Community center with indoor pool and childcare!
And at least 1 Latin-Amish fusion bistro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 07:46 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,871,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
OP is not being selective enough. Ask for something flat, sparsely populated, with low taxes, a good school district, cheap housing, and ten minutes from downtown.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
Cute, walkable business district! Community center with indoor pool and childcare!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
and diverse.
Under an hour to the mountains and beach with a mild winter climate.

That is almost EVERY "I'm looking for" post on this site. Good luck.

Old 01-24-2015, 07:47 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,442,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax View Post
The parts of Eighty-Four PA that I have been in seem to be fairly flat and it is a lot of open farmland. Flat is hard to find in this part of the country though. Ohio, KY and further west would probably be more to your liking. I hear Iowa is very flat and sparsely populated....
You heard incorrectly. Iowa has lots of rolling hills. They'll put you to sleep driving on I-80 if you're the least bit tired. It almost happened to me; I had to pull off and take a nap at a rest area once. Not so sparsely populated, either, with several large-ish cities and many medium-size ones.

Old 01-24-2015, 07:49 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,871,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trotter_rej View Post
Darn. I forgot the Craft Brewery on the corner.

Old 01-24-2015, 08:06 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,579,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
You heard incorrectly. Iowa has lots of rolling hills. They'll put you to sleep driving on I-80 if you're the least bit tired. It almost happened to me; I had to pull off and take a nap at a rest area once. Not so sparsely populated, either, with several large-ish cities and many medium-size ones.
Compared to Pittsburgh, rolling hills is relatively flat. OP said relatively not literally.

So what is in between the cities? Are there no rural areas in Iowa? Anyway my point was, Western PA is hardly a place to look for relatively flat topography. There are many places in other states that would fit the OP's desires better.

Old 01-24-2015, 08:15 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,442,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax View Post
Compared to Pittsburgh, rolling hills is relatively flat. OP said relatively not literally.

So what is in between the cities? Are there no rural areas in Iowa? Anyway my point was, Western PA is hardly a place to look for relatively flat topography. There are many places in other states that would fit the OP's desires better.
Of course there are rural areas in Iowa, just like there are in PA. I get annoyed with people making Iowa some laughing-stock, when it's not, and no, I'm not from there. Perhaps the OP needs to live in suburban Pittsburgh for some reason. If so, I'd say that most places are hilly, yet housing is usually built on fairly flat parcels, e.g. on top of the hills.

Old 01-24-2015, 08:46 AM

876 posts, read 1,140,932 times
Quote:
Mmmmmm, shoo fly empanadas...

Old 01-24-2015, 09:01 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,579,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
Of course there are rural areas in Iowa, just like there are in PA. I get annoyed with people making Iowa some laughing-stock, when it's not, and no, I'm not from there. Perhaps the OP needs to live in suburban Pittsburgh for some reason. If so, I'd say that most places are hilly, yet housing is usually built on fairly flat parcels, e.g. on top of the hills.
I wasn't suggesting Iowa as a joke. I have very close friends who are from there. Even they are very upfront about the topography of the place as being rather uninteresting. On the upside they get to see some pretty spectacular sunsets because there are no hill obscuring the view.

Being on top of a hill....well that does offer great views and protection from flash floods. But at some point you have to go down them, on icy snow covered roads. The OP may wish to avoid that scenario. Again difficult to achieve considering where we live.

Old 01-24-2015, 09:12 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,753,395 times
Iowa has only 55 people/sq. mile and some flat/ some rolling hills, so compared to Pennsylvania it is both flat and sparsely populated. It's not considered a bad thing by many though, that is similar to what the OP is looking for.

Last edited by _Buster; 01-24-2015 at 09:23 AM..

Old 01-24-2015, 09:15 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,486,872 times
Quote:
With butter milk on tap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh