U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-08-2008, 10:47 AM

75 posts, read 266,759 times
Default Arlington Heights??

I was doing a little joy riding through the Southside Slopes (for the view) coming back from Oakland this morning. I ended up driving through that loop of a street that goes through Arlington Heights (I believe its called Devlin St.). Anyways, once I got past the projects I noticed a large space of overgrown empty land that is fenced off and says it is the property of the city of Pittsburgh. What's the point of this. Were there previously other projects there? Is that neighborhood dangerous as say, St. Clair Village?? Just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 11:52 AM

2,024 posts, read 2,394,748 times
I recently discovered that area as well on my way to a party on the other side of that hill. That vast open space with the terrific view was in fact a huge 1940s style public housing complex that was torn down several years ago. The neighborhood right past it is an old-style Pittsburgh neighborhood with well-kept houses and some new housing. The ride back down the hill at night on Josephine Street has incredible views of downtown and Oakland.

Old 01-08-2008, 01:47 PM

81 posts, read 337,057 times
Here is a 1995 Top-Down view courtesy of Microsoft Terraserver. You can see the housing complex that is now gone...

Interesting find, my girlfriend lives near hear and I never noticed the abandoned lot.

Microsoft TerraServer Imagery (http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?t=1&s=10&Lon=-79.96470609&Lat=40.41535289&Alon=-79.96470609&Alat=40.41535289&w=1&opt=0&addr=Zaruba +St%2c+Pittsburgh%2c+PA+15210&qs=zaruba+st%7cpitts burgh%7cpa%7c/ - broken link)

Old 01-08-2008, 02:09 PM

75 posts, read 266,759 times
Anybody know why this was torn down? Too much crime?

Old 07-14-2008, 05:10 PM

153 posts, read 276,503 times
Thankxxx for posting this image. I was born and raised in the burgh and have been gone now for twelve years, haven't been back since; so it's very nice to see pics of my old stomping grounds.

Old 08-17-2008, 02:39 PM

1 posts, read 5,837 times
Default Housing Projects....

It's happening in cities all over America...They R demolishing those huge old 30s-40s style fortess/prison-like housing projects & rebuiling them as townhomes & single-family dwellings.....In Pittsburgh, they tore down Mckees Rocks Terrace, Terrace Village, BraodHead Manor, & others.....When they rebuild, they change the name of the developement & sometimes even the street names, cuz the names of the projects & the streets have become synonymous with crime & urban blight....Even out in my area, they demolished the Morgan Hill housing project....They havent rebuilt yet, but they did change the street name....But Arlington Heights was massive & intimidating 2 drive thru....They left several of the buildings at the bottom of the hill going towards Josephine, at the end of Arlington Avenue....

Old 08-18-2008, 10:10 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,285,350 times
Arlington was built as a war project in the early 40's. The top section, (about 75% of the total complex) was torn down about 6 years ago. There are about 8 buildings left. Arlington was all 3 story apartment buildings. No rowhouses. Arlington never had as bad a rep as St. Clair. St. Clair has also been depopulated. I'd guess that about 60% of the units are gone, including all of the large apartment buildings, (one still stands, used by the Housing Authority for storage, 2 more had their third floors removed, and were converted to townhouses, while 2 two story walk-ups still stand. One is empty, and the other contains the administrative offices). Of the rowhouse units that still stand, I'd say 30% are vacant.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:46 AM

67,283 posts, read 54,864,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
Arlington was built as a war project in the early 40's. The top section, (about 75% of the total complex) was torn down about 6 years ago. There are about 8 buildings left. Arlington was all 3 story apartment buildings. No rowhouses. Arlington never had as bad a rep as St. Clair. St. Clair has also been depopulated. I'd guess that about 60% of the units are gone, including all of the large apartment buildings, (one still stands, used by the Housing Authority for storage, 2 more had their third floors removed, and were converted to townhouses, while 2 two story walk-ups still stand. One is empty, and the other contains the administrative offices). Of the rowhouse units that still stand, I'd say 30% are vacant.
Interesting. Those projects were part of my territory when I was a visiting nurse there in the early 70s. The above was a little trip down "Memory Lane".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh