Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 09:40 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: orphaned

I lean to the right and am the person that started this thread. How do you account for that? Oh, maybe just throwing out names like, "right wing" doesn't make any sense?

The sooner Americans stop looking at things as right and left wing extremes the better. I am a fiscal conservative, green minded anti 1% greed person. I don't really fit into your extreme profiles.

It sickens me how some punk kid kills another like this. It also sickens me that people are saying, there could be some justification if we knew the victim better. Really odd how people can justify a 17 year old kid being shot to death and then the shooter posing for pictures as if it is a trophy. WOW!

Last edited by Yac; 02-10-2015 at 02:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 09:50 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,101,983 times
Ok, fine, but it's always the same, "how come nobody is paying attention to the story of black kid dujour committing heinous act?" Yet, the coverage is there and all over the place. This theme seems to come up often here and I don't get it. Some poster here made the same observation after the Monroeville Mall fight last fall, "where's the outrage!?!". The outrage is there, maybe your news source just chooses to fan the flames of Conservative rage...

Old 02-09-2015, 09:55 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,958,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I lean to the right and am the person that started this thread. How do you account for that? Oh, maybe just throwing out names like, "right wing" doesn't make any sense?

The sooner Americans stop looking at things as right and left wing extremes the better. I am a fiscal conservative, green minded anti 1% greed person. I don't really fit into your extreme profiles.

It sickens me how some punk kid kills another like this. It also sickens me that people are saying, there could be some justification if we knew the victim better. Really odd how people can justify a 17 year old kid being shot to death and then the shooter posing for pictures as if it is a trophy. WOW!
These horrific acts play out daily in inner cities across the U.S.. Kids killing kids is nothing new. The question is how are these young getting all these guns?

Old 02-09-2015, 10:07 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
These horrific acts play out daily in inner cities across the U.S.. Kids killing kids is nothing new. The question is how are these young getting all these guns?
I don't think you can stop the guns. Open up the school gyms at night for all the neighborhood kids and hire a few mentors to keep kids busy. Fill their minds with hope and pride. It really can be done, but it takes work and commitment. When I was growing up, I was at the local school gym 5 nights a week. I was very lucky to be able to play sports every night. On weekends kids would get together and play sports on their own because that is what we were used to. Gotta keep busy. Tax dollars are already paying for the schools. Use them!

Old 02-09-2015, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Unfortunately, this is true. It's also true that if it was a white teenager killing a black teenager, the national media would be on the warpath for the next six months. The media only makes race relations worse.

Illegally, like the overwhelming majority of people who commit crimes with guns.
Are you confusing police brutality with kids killing kids? Police abusing black people in general is a totally different issue. I can think of numerous instances where a white kid killed a black kid. Many of the school mass murders included black victims. There was no difference in coverage with black vs white.

So we all know that it is illegal to sell unregistered guns to minors. Our inner cities are flooded with AK47s and 9MM handguns. Why do so many children have access to illegal firearms? Where are these weapons coming from?

Old 02-09-2015, 11:42 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,093,437 times
Quote:
Are you confusing police brutality with kids killing kids? Police abusing black people in general is a totally different issue. I can think of numerous instances where a white kid killed a black kid. Many of the school mass murders included black victims. There was no difference in coverage with black vs white.

So we all know that it is illegal to sell unregistered guns to minors. Our inner cities are flooded with AK47s and 9MM handguns. Why do so many children have access to illegal firearms? Where are these weapons coming from?
National Rifle Association suing Pittsburgh and Philadelphia over gun laws | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The NRA feels that reporting lost or stolen guns infringes on their rights.

Old 02-09-2015, 11:55 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,457,737 times
on a side note, if we take the last 1000 shooting deaths and check the shooter for NRA membership, what would the over/under be? about 3?

Old 02-09-2015, 12:01 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,055,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by safak View Post
on a side note, if we take the last 1000 shooting deaths and check the shooter for NRA membership, what would the over/under be? about 3?
The large majority of NRA members are people who do not use guns for violence against human beings.

Old 02-09-2015, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
National Rifle Association suing Pittsburgh and Philadelphia over gun laws | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The NRA feels that reporting lost or stolen guns infringes on their rights.

The NRA feels that reporting lost or stolen guns infringes on the rights of criminals.

Old 02-09-2015, 12:19 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Quote:
The NRA feels that reporting lost or stolen guns infringes on the rights of criminals.
I don't think that the NRA is against reporting lost and stolen guns, they are just against mandating it. And with some lost or stolen guns, the owners don't necessarily know that the weapons were lost or stolen.

I think the real problem with this legislation is that it just isn't likely to be effective at reducing violence, and even more draconian laws are likely to be shortly down the road. If advocates like the Brady Campaign were to just stick to modest changes in the law, and openly endorse the ownership and carrying of firearms by law-abiding citizens- they'd get a lot more cooperation from the NRA and gunowners. Right now, it looks like the proverbial "slippery slope" toward gun confiscation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh