Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 08:00 PM

78 posts, read 137,044 times

Advertisements

My favorable term for Pittsburgh is as a ' Boutique City ' Given the lack of large scale employment opportunity and the lack of a large scale agricultural sector in and around Pittsburgh, I don't see a large scale in migration of population for the foreseeable future. In fact I would put money down that the Pittsburgh region will continue to loose population as locations such as Butler, Greensburg, Jeannette and New Castle struggle economically and continue to suffer out migration. And add to the fact that milder climates to the south will continue to be favored by the masses.

A best case scenario would be for Pittsburgh's current and emerging economic interest's in Robotics, Bio Tech, Education, Medicine, information technology and energy to continue their upswing. These individual economic areas don't produce large scale employment opportunity in general. However they do act as higher paying opportunities that help to drive a stronger urban core. Most of these sectors are located within the city and thus should help to reverse the population loss but only with modest population growth.

The Boutique aspect I'm calling Pittsburgh is defined by it's uniqueness in geography, lower cost of living, higher level of living for those making coin, ease of movement, and increasing opportunity in out of door recreation. If the city economy should happen to suffer then the quality of life will fall as well as the population.

Also, with the possibility of the Beaver County Cracker plant being developed, there does exist the opportunity to create and develop a 'new economic development sector' in petrochemicals and potentially the plastics industry. This new sector could indeed employ larger scale employment needs if the plant and associated growth of the plastics industry would come to fruition. A lot of iff's though.

Support local business and be Pittsburgh proud and accept the longer term evolution of urban formation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 08:34 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,595,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returnofthemack View Post
I think wheeling, wv will add more people before pitt does.
Wheeling might add people, but it's basically just a place to stop and buy cigarettes and liquor on your way back from Ohio. It's not even in the same class.

Old 02-16-2015, 10:56 PM

281 posts, read 340,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Someday, you're going to be the one who injures a "jaywalker" on Forbes Avenue, and when they put you in jail, well, I would say I will laugh my ass off, but really, I won't, because you'll have seriously injured someone because you were speeding, in such a hurry to deliver someone pad Thai. And it will be a surprise to no one when this happens, because you will come here to demonize the poor person you hit with your car. You foolish, petty man.
Well said.

Old 02-17-2015, 05:19 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Someday, you're going to be the one who injures a "jaywalker" on Forbes Avenue, and when they put you in jail, well, I would say I will laugh my ass off, but really, I won't, because you'll have seriously injured someone because you were speeding, in such a hurry to deliver someone pad Thai. And it will be a surprise to no one when this happens, because you will come here to demonize the poor person you hit with your car. You foolish, petty man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw_now_what View Post
Well said.
Why is jaywalking so condoned in this city? It makes no sense, especially in Squirrel Hill where there are many well-marked crosswalks. By stopping traffic to wave jaywalkers across all you're doing is rewarding bad behavior and gunking up the ever-increasing flow of vehicular traffic. The other day I missed an entire light cycle being the first car trying to turn right from Atwood onto Forbes because people kept entering the crosswalk through the entirety of the light cycle.

It's nice everyone in City-Data-land makes mega moolah at office jobs where they can post all day on City-Data. The rest of us need to EARN our mega moolah working hard and don't appreciate it when the arrogance of others thrratens the efficiency or expediency of our work.

Old 02-17-2015, 05:52 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,093,437 times
"Arrogance". LOL. The arrogance of drivers speeding, going through red lights and making right turns on red even where they are not allowed.
You are threatening the expediency and efficiency of MY work by not allowing me to cross the street when I have the legal right of way.
And to think, that you imply that I/we are not working hard, that is simply despicable of you.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:20 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
The other day I missed an entire light cycle being the first car trying to turn right from Atwood onto Forbes because people kept entering the crosswalk through the entirety of the light cycle.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:27 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Quote:
The other day I missed an entire light cycle being the first car trying to turn right from Atwood onto Forbes because people kept entering the crosswalk through the entirety of the light cycle.
That happens in Oakland, the area has a larger than usual numbers of pedestrians.

Try to avoid that area during the daylight hours, if you are easily frustrated.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:36 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,586,085 times
My point is simply that good paying jobs exist that don't require a graduate degree. Yes, 43% of the job growth has been low wage, 27% is paying $30/hr. People don't move for low paying jobs, they move for jobs with a future, this is the point of the thread, people moving here. The UPMC wages are a problem, but they don't in themselves mean nobody can find a good job/nobody is moving here.

Tying this in to SCR's accusation that none of us office drones work for a living. We are where we are due to a combination of choices and luck, and the former drives the latter. If you make the conscious decision to avoid cubicle life, analytical jobs, and leaving the city limits, doors tend to close. It's a valid life choice, but you don't get to whine about our cushy lifestyle and your hard life when this is the life you chose for yourself.

Last edited by sealie; 02-17-2015 at 06:39 AM.. Reason: Omission

Old 02-17-2015, 06:45 AM

1,106 posts, read 1,163,995 times
Quote:
Why is jaywalking so condoned in this city? It makes no sense, especially in Squirrel Hill where there are many well-marked crosswalks. By stopping traffic to wave jaywalkers across all you're doing is rewarding bad behavior and gunking up the ever-increasing flow of vehicular traffic. The other day I missed an entire light cycle being the first car trying to turn right from Atwood onto Forbes because people kept entering the crosswalk through the entirety of the light cycle.
I think a lot of people find jaywalking annoying--as someone who regularly drives on Murray and Forbes, I certainly do. But what do you propose to do about it? Have cops posted in the middle of every block to hand out tickets? And you seem to be implying that people condone this behavior by NOT running over pedestrians. Do you honestly think your 'near miss' running over a pedestrian will keep them from jaywalking again anyway? Cars are a lot more powerful and as such have to yield in these situation. It may not be fair, but killing/injuring people is not a reasonable punishment for jaywalking.
People on this forum are just trying to warn you that your impatience is likely to lead to a tragedy one day, and no one, including the legal system, is going to side with you just because jaywalking is annoying.
And people everywhere (including me) are ALWAYS going to start crossing the street when the walk signal is flashing.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:47 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,140,512 times
Quote:
I think wheeling, wv will add more people before pitt does. Aqua teen carl brings up the points I have read about most of the jobs created in pburgh will be low wage types
Um, no. One, Wheeling is economically depressed and it and its state are a mess. Second, Pittsburgh might not have major job growth, but it actually has quality job growth which is why its average income is up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh