Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 11:13 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,498,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
There are currently 21 homes for sale in the East End with asking price north of 800k

Real Estate & Homes For Sale - 21 Homes | Zillow

and many more which aren't on the market.
Total waste of money to spend that much on a house in Pittsburgh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 11:13 AM

14,361 posts, read 16,879,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Those clusters in Squirrel Hill are about the same size as the clusters in Lawrenceville.
As I said, Lawrenceville has no dense clusters of apartments like this and this, which is why there parts of Squirrel Hill have equal or higher density. The non-apartment areas of Squirrel Hill aren't especially dense, although the higher number of children there (meaning higher household size) may partially cancel out the lower number of units.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
& btw, we do have some streets that look like the Philly link, but the brick houses are covered with ugly-*ss siding that someone thought looked better for whatever reason back in the day & remains on way too many homes.
Siding on brick homes is rare here. Most of the sided houses are frame. And I disagree it's exactly the same. Living on a car-traveled alley versus a totally pedestrian one is a whole different ballgame. AFAIK, Pittsburgh has no pedestrian streets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayona View Post
We've already bookmarked the houses you pointed out but we're kinda flummoxed by the schools stuff. Here it was a no-brainer to send our kids to the school down the street.

Speaking of schools; is there a map that shows all of the neighborhood school boundaries? Zillow is giving me conflicting information. And is there anywhere that shows data for magnet programs separately from their neighborhood schools if they are co-located? For example, I like the idea of a French magnet but the raw data for Fulton looks pretty dire.
PPS does not release maps of feeder schools any longer. However, if you enter an address here (scroll down), you can find out the feeder area.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Colfax, or many of the magnet schools in the east end. You can't get the scores broken out for partial magnets alone. However, you can download the PSSA statewide scores here. I like to look at the school disaggragated results, which break down standardized testing by demographics. You'll see that like nearly everywhere in the U.S., there's a gap between black and white test scores, and if you compare the white students in several PPS schools (Colfax, Linden, Dilworth, Montessori, etc) with white students in the top suburbs, they score very similarly.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Why is it waste to spend it in the city, but not the suburbs?

Old 02-26-2015, 11:20 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,498,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Why is it waste to spend it in the city, but not the suburbs?
I didn't mean to restrict it to the city.

You could buy a home for half that price here and still have luxury.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:47 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,741,534 times
Quote:
I didn't mean to restrict it to the city.

You could buy a home for half that price here and still have luxury.
there's a lot more to it than just having luxury though. Location, build quality, resale potential, and uniqueness are all major factors when deciding to buy an expensive house.

Old 02-26-2015, 03:44 PM

268 posts, read 235,549 times
Quote:
So how much would you expect to pay for this? I'm not interested in a fixer-upper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
I agree. For example the homes right on North with their small yards, or these homes on Buena Vista with their porches offer a little separation without sacrificing urbanity compared to say Monterey Street in the same neighborhood.
Those places are beautiful!

Old 02-26-2015, 03:49 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,842,546 times
Quote:
So how much would you expect to pay for this?
A place very similar to that in the same general area sold not that long ago (fall sometime - I know because it perked my interest as I'll be in the house buying market soon) for around $450,000; it did sell fast. I'll see if I can dig up the listing anywhere. I recall it was on North Negley there.

Old 02-26-2015, 03:54 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,528,967 times
Quote:
So how much would you expect to pay for this? I'm not interested in a fixer-upper.
I recognized that house. I think it might be a bit out of the ordinary even among fancy houses.

https://www.jlpgh.org/?nd=designers_show_house

Old 02-26-2015, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Those places are beautiful!
If you like that style, you should look in the North Side. This is the only thing available right now which is of the size you're looking for however.

Old 02-26-2015, 04:24 PM

618 posts, read 687,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
A place very similar to that in the same general area sold not that long ago (fall sometime - I know because it perked my interest as I'll be in the house buying market soon) for around $450,000; it did sell fast. I'll see if I can dig up the listing anywhere. I recall it was on North Negley there.
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...18-44777?row=5

This one was a pretty good deal. The lot on the highland property seems more generous though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
If you like that style, you should look in the North Side. This is the only thing available right now which is of the size you're looking for however.
The house is fine, but that price is a joke and the location is horrendous. Nothing shielding you from swaths of parking lots and fast food joints. It is pretty unattractive in person for that reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh