Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 10:29 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,872,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Alderdice feeder (a big step up), and allow access to Pittsburgh magnets and the Pittsburgh Promise money. Seems like a no-brainer to me.
Still a big step down from what they once had. You know, viewing kids as collateral damage.

I do agree that Alderdice would be a much better option though. Wonder if it could ever happen? Probably not. Somehow they would make it out to be racist or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 11:10 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,506,011 times
Quote:
Edgewood couldn't get back their own school district. They probably could merge with Pittsburgh Public Schools though. I've done out the math and it would lower taxes for the average household there considerably. It would also result in their being in the Alderdice feeder (a big step up), and allow access to Pittsburgh magnets and the Pittsburgh Promise money. Seems like a no-brainer to me.
Property taxes would go down. Now about the income tax .... It would all depend on how much you make.

Old 03-03-2015, 11:15 AM

14,362 posts, read 16,946,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
Property taxes would go down. Now about the income tax .... It would all depend on how much you make.
True. I worked out a model a last year based upon household income and assessed house values though, which estimated moving into PPS would save the average person pretty substantially. We're talking on average shaving $1,145 off of taxes - about a 29.5% reduction. It would be a win for PPS as well, as the average Edgewood household would bring in about $1,373 more than the average PPS household in taxes.

Edit: Although they'd save less, Churchill, Forest Hills, Wilkins Township, Swissvale, and Chalfant would all lower their taxes going into PPS as well, along with raising PPS revenues. East Pittsburgh and Braddock Hills would also see their taxes fall in PPS, but would be a net tax drain on PPS. Braddock, North Braddock, Rankin, and Turtle Creek are lose-lose - their taxes would rise, and they'd be a drain on the district.

Old 03-03-2015, 11:17 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,506,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
First, do you know this for a fact that they, "pulled all their kids out of the new school district," or is this a rumor you heard? If so, where did they send them? The Catholic school option was limited and how many could have gone to Shadyside Academy, Sewickley Academy, Winchester Thurston, The Ellis School, St. Edmunds Academy, or Kiski Prep.
I was pulled out. My bus was fairly crowded and it only was for St. Edmunds and Community Day School. From memory, 4 kids were in my St. Edmunds class who went their from the Woodland Hills. All of us started after the merger.

My sister was sent to WT. My best friend was sent to Shadyside. A good friend was sent to Ellis.

Old 03-03-2015, 02:42 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,948,709 times
I remember the news reports on TV. Back then, it was still called "busing" and it freaked out white people. This was just a few years after the Boston busing debacle. The idea that your kids were going to have to go to school with black kids was the rub, and parents were not shy about expressing it back then. Many threatened to pull their kids out, and a lot of them did. Not a proud moment.

I remember going to a community meeting in Edgewood in the late 80s during the planned expansion of the East Busway beyond Wilkinsburg. The people of Edgewood were adamant that a station NOT be built in their community because they didn't want "those people from Homewood" coming into their town. So Edgewood doesn't have a busway station.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:37 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,366,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfds View Post
Woodland Hills ranks in top 10 nationwide for elementary student suspensions | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Not surprisingly Woodland Hills elementary schools are at the bottom in terms of academic performance.
There seems to be a strong correlation between school performance and student suspensions.
And people wonder why there are shootings at the Edgewood Towne Centre?
Woodland Hills is a great example of the school to prison pipeline that plagues already disenfranchised people.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:52 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
I remember the news reports on TV. Back then, it was still called "busing" and it freaked out white people. This was just a few years after the Boston busing debacle. The idea that your kids were going to have to go to school with black kids was the rub, and parents were not shy about expressing it back then. Many threatened to pull their kids out, and a lot of them did. Not a proud moment.

I remember going to a community meeting in Edgewood in the late 80s during the planned expansion of the East Busway beyond Wilkinsburg. The people of Edgewood were adamant that a station NOT be built in their community because they didn't want "those people from Homewood" coming into their town. So Edgewood doesn't have a busway station.
Where the people of Edgewood correct in their thinking? If you don't think they were, please explain. We are talking about the parents of children looking out for their kids best interest. I hate to tell you, but regardless of how politically correct it is, the parents were correct from the beginning. robrobrob was a lucky one to get to go to a private school and so were his friends. They got out of there and rightfully so. I would have move out if I had kids in that district and will make no bones about it. I could care less what people think. A good education is important to ME and if enough people in a district could care less, that district isn't for my family. The merger was sinful.

Old 03-04-2015, 04:44 AM

778 posts, read 837,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
I was pulled out. My bus was fairly crowded and it only was for St. Edmunds and Community Day School. From memory, 4 kids were in my St. Edmunds class who went their from the Woodland Hills. All of us started after the merger.

My sister was sent to WT. My best friend was sent to Shadyside. A good friend was sent to Ellis.
I lived in Edgewood and I was pulled out, too. I went to a small parent-run school in Churchill that was pretty much entirely made up of other families who had done the same thing. (And yes, I do think my parents are racist, though they'd deny it.)

Old 03-04-2015, 06:10 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by theta_sigma View Post
I lived in Edgewood and I was pulled out, too. I went to a small parent-run school in Churchill that was pretty much entirely made up of other families who had done the same thing. (And yes, I do think my parents are racist, though they'd deny it.)
But where your parents correct in pulling you our of that mess? Seems they were. Proof is in the pudding as they say. Hard to deny it.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:45 AM

12,390 posts, read 7,075,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
And people wonder why there are shootings at the Edgewood Towne Centre?
Woodland Hills is a great example of the school to prison pipeline that plagues already disenfranchised people.
The people doing the shooting at Edgewood Town Center were from Wilkinsburg.

Quote:
I think we need to be careful not to equate the initial white flight from Woodland Hills after the court-ordered merger with the District's more recent issues. I know several people who graduated from Woodland Hills in the 90s. Although it was getting rough then, it was still a racially mixed district, and they went on to do great things. One is a writer for Politico today. The bottom line is the district was *not* doomed by the merger alone, although it indeed may be at the point of no return today.

Edgewood couldn't get back their own school district. They probably could merge with Pittsburgh Public Schools though. I've done out the math and it would lower taxes for the average household there considerably. It would also result in their being in the Alderdice feeder (a big step up), and allow access to Pittsburgh magnets and the Pittsburgh Promise money. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

I agree that there were a lot of factors that have lead to the decline of the Woodland Hills school district, and the communities it serves. I also agree that the district is (unfortunately) a lost cause.

The problem with Churchill or Edgewood leaving the district is that they would take a large percentage of the tax base with them. The district already has funding problems, it's unlikely it could operate without the tax dollars from Churchill and Edgewood, so I couldn't see them being allowed to ever leave. It would seem that all of the communities within the district are chained to this sinking ship until it goes down. As we can see from the Wilkinsburg district, the state is unwilling to step in and putting these lame districts down, so it could be decades before the WHS district problem will be dealt with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh