Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 12:12 PM

598 posts, read 748,081 times

Advertisements

According to this:

How much money you need to earn to buy a house in these cities - MarketWatch

Pittsburgh is the most affordable metro area nationally if you want to buy a home. So yeah, if you get priced out of Pittsburgh metro, the next move is to Pyongyang, North Korea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 01:25 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,645,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanPioneer View Post
According to this:

How much money you need to earn to buy a house in these cities - MarketWatch

Pittsburgh is the most affordable metro area nationally if you want to buy a home. So yeah, if you get priced out of Pittsburgh metro, the next move is to Pyongyang, North Korea.
I was thinking Mississippi or Alabama, but North Korea makes sense.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:24 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,891,134 times
They either move to a warmer climate or Ohio or WV. Both Ohio and WV have a COL far less than SW Pennsylvania.

Old 02-27-2015, 01:20 PM

664 posts, read 807,220 times
How can one possibly get "priced out" of Pittsburgh if they have a job?

Hell, even working at Starbucks you can afford a decent apartment in a nice 'hood.

Old 03-01-2015, 02:33 PM

18 posts, read 33,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCTelevisionWriter View Post
How can one possibly get "priced out" of Pittsburgh if they have a job?

Hell, even working at Starbucks you can afford a decent apartment in a nice 'hood.
Really? Exactly how much does a barista MAKE at Starbucks, especially if they're part-time? How much does a decent apartment in a nice 'hood cost? Have you no student loans? No debt? No car? No kids? Don't shop much, ever grab fast food, get your hair cut? How's your 401K?

I mean, obviously people CAN cut their own hair, live without a car etc., and sometimes they should.

My point is, yes, I guess they COULD afford a decent apartment in a nice 'hood.

As long as they eat out of dumpsters.

Old 03-01-2015, 03:33 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,645,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serena15221 View Post
Really? Exactly how much does a barista MAKE at Starbucks, especially if they're part-time? How much does a decent apartment in a nice 'hood cost? Have you no student loans? No debt? No car? No kids? Don't shop much, ever grab fast food, get your hair cut? How's your 401K?

I mean, obviously people CAN cut their own hair, live without a car etc., and sometimes they should.

My point is, yes, I guess they COULD afford a decent apartment in a nice 'hood.

As long as they eat out of dumpsters.
When I was working part-time back in my college days, I had roommates. I imagine that's what people still do. I think the poster meant a barista working full-time. Starbucks pays a decent hourly wage and offers benefits.

Old 03-02-2015, 09:07 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
I keep seeing this thread and every time I laugh about it. Priced out of Pittsburgh? How the heck can you be priced out of this entire city for goodness sake???? What planet are people living on? You can be priced out of a section of Pittsburgh, but if you are priced out of the entire city, you must be making a nickel an hour. You can't afford Homewood? Larimer? No Hill District? Really? Even places bordering these tough areas can be had cheap. You want safer? Sharpsburg and Etna are both close to the city and are super cheap. Crime is pretty low in those two places as well. The collapse of Pittsburgh from its highest level is forever. Permanent and is never coming back. This isn't a growth city because of the union stranglehold and massive taxes. We can't compete with southern cities that have grown leaps and bounds because they just have better plans in place. We are just plodding along with no real hope. Our money goes to old relics like Penn Dot and the like. Priced out of Pittsburgh is a funny title though. Thanks for the laugh that keeps coming up on my screen. Hilarious.

Old 03-02-2015, 09:41 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,101,705 times
Back to the city. I know people who gave up on the suburban house hunt and they ended up buying back into the city. Hoping this trend continues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh