Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 05:28 PM

809 posts, read 2,402,944 times

Advertisements

There is such an incredible sense of place here. So much history. The neighborhoods are beautiful and the architecture in many places(esp oakland , northside and southside) is absolutely stunning.

I shed a small tear every time I come back from some other hellhole of American sprawl (*cough* Detroit). I see the rivers and rolling hills, then I know I'm home.

This is truly a special place. I think we all need to step back and realize what a good city we have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 06:06 PM

511 posts, read 1,932,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gameguy56 View Post
There is such an incredible sense of place here. So much history. The neighborhoods are beautiful and the architecture in many places(esp oakland , northside and southside) is absolutely stunning.

I shed a small tear every time I come back from some other hellhole of American sprawl (*cough* Detroit). I see the rivers and rolling hills, then I know I'm home.

This is truly a special place. I think we all need to step back and realize what a good city we have.
There are a series of books that can be found at any good bookstore about all the major neighborhoods of the city from their beginnings to today. They are great reading, check them out if you're interested.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:11 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,763,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gameguy56 View Post

Awww...you live in Detroit? I can see where you're coming from. Just an hour ago, I was having a conversation with a friend about how the movie Robocop was not science-fiction, but a prophecy of the near future of Detroit.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:52 PM

141 posts, read 720,006 times
I have to agree wholeheartedly. As a permanent transplant to this area, I have simply fallen in love.

And I find it sad that so many who were born and raised here are chomping at the bit to get away.

But funny how most of them come back!!

Old 01-10-2008, 08:40 PM

809 posts, read 2,402,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
Awww...you live in Detroit? I can see where you're coming from. Just an hour ago, I was having a conversation with a friend about how the movie Robocop was not science-fiction, but a prophecy of the near future of Detroit.

Nah, but I have a lot of family from there and I'm always in the Detroit area for the Holidays. It's truly a depressing place!

Old 01-11-2008, 05:27 AM

3 posts, read 21,785 times
Ok, I have to come to the defense of the Detroit area...

There is a big difference between Detroit and it's surrounding cities. My family also lives in the Detroit area (NW of it), and I always enjoy going back there. People are much nicer drivers, it's easy to get places, the grocery stores are great... at one point, I too, hated MI and couldn't wait to leave, but now that I'm gone I think it's a very nice place to live, esp for families with kids. It's just very different from Pittsburgh.

I did go to university in downtown Detroit, and it's not as bad as people say it is. For example, the Detroit Institute of Arts just finished a year-long renovation and it's amazing. The waterfront view is very nice, and there are festivals going on downtown all summer long. Sure, I wouldn't want to live in downtown Detroit, but it's a fun excursion.

and you never have to fight for parking or deal with Pittsburgh road rage

Old 01-11-2008, 06:04 AM

107 posts, read 349,510 times
I never been to Detroit, so I am not going to attack it. I also don't want to attack other cities because I still think Pittsburgh is not Paris of the rust-belt. However, I am always willing to defend Pittsburgh as I think it is a very underrated and great American City. We still have a lot of work to do to this city. However, that is the fun of living in a town like Pittsburgh; being able to take part in making a great city that has it problems better. Instead of taking the easy way out and moving to a new sunbelt town.

I am thinking of going to Detroit this spring or summer. I want to actually see it. It is one of the larger cities I never been to. I wonder if it is also a underrated city that gets a lot of underserving rep, or if it really is depressing as people say.

Old 01-11-2008, 07:01 AM

3 posts, read 21,785 times
You should definitely visit Detroit - I think making your own opinion of a city is always a great idea. Go during a festival; it's the best time to be downtown. Yes, Detroit is a strange, and shrinking, city, let's be honest; I just don't like hearing people say bad things about it (like the Robocop thing) when they've never been there. It had it's best days in the 20s and has never been able to make a comeback. I think Detroit has had a lot of back luck, but that doesn't negate the fact that there are still a lot of interesting places, good 1920s architecture, and a lot of cultural things to do downtown. And some people like the gritty-ness of it.

Anyway, sorry to derail the thread... back to the original post, yes, Pittsburgh does have a beautiful landscape. It's always fun to come around a bend in the freeway and see the skyline rising up - very pretty.

See, I got back on-topic

Old 01-11-2008, 09:44 AM

675 posts, read 2,091,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by returnedYinzer View Post
I am always willing to defend Pittsburgh as I think it is a very underrated and great American City. We still have a lot of work to do to this city. However, that is the fun of living in a town like Pittsburgh; being able to take part in making a great city that has it problems better. Instead of taking the easy way out and moving to a new sunbelt town.
I couldn't have said this better myself. I think one reason I get somewhat defensive about Pittsburgh is simply because I think people have a tendency to berate it for having issues and expect them to get fixed on their own. Pittsburgh needs more people with this attitude.

Old 01-11-2008, 10:23 AM

2,902 posts, read 10,046,782 times
I've noticed quite a large amount of positivity on the forum lately, I couldn't be happier. I also have noticed a large amount of posts from people relocating to the Burgh.

Hopefully this continues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh