Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 11:06 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,891,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Where? The Phase 2 site has always been considered Shadyside by the city.
The signs used to say "Larimer," didn't they? Or "East Liberty"?

I'm not familiar with the different "phases"; where I'm talking about is the exit onto Penn Avenue from the outdoor parking lot (Coffee Tree, West Elm), where the hideous apartment buildings on the other side of Penn Avenue sit directly ahead of you. The Blue Sign says "Shadyside" on top of "Penn Avenue."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 11:28 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
The signs used to say "Larimer," didn't they? Or "East Liberty"?

I'm not familiar with the different "phases"; where I'm talking about is the exit onto Penn Avenue from the outdoor parking lot (Coffee Tree, West Elm), where the hideous apartment buildings on the other side of Penn Avenue sit directly ahead of you. The Blue Sign says "Shadyside" on top of "Penn Avenue."
Penn Avenue is the northeastern border of Shadyside, so a sign running parallel to Penn which says Shadyside there isn't completely inaccurate. IMHO it would only be misleading if the sign going into (the older part of) Bakery Square, or East Liberty Boulevard, was labeled as Shadyside.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:36 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,891,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Penn Avenue is the northeastern border of Shadyside, so a sign running parallel to Penn which says Shadyside there isn't completely inaccurate. IMHO it would only be misleading if the sign going into (the older part of) Bakery Square, or East Liberty Boulevard, was labeled as Shadyside.
I would really have to be standing in front of (or driving through) the area to continue discussing this, but IIRC, in the pre-Google era, the Nabisco factory and Reisenstein School were thought of as being in Larimer and East Liberty, respectively. And pre-Blue Sign Squad, most people thought of both buildings as being in East Liberty.

As for Penn Avenue being the northeastern border of Shadyside, in general, I live south of Penn Avenue in this area, and I'm never quite certain if I live in Friendship or East Liberty. But Shadyside stops (turns into Friendship?), I thought, at Centre Avenue where it intersects S. Negley. And it becomes East Liberty when you cross Negley as you go eastward on Centre (although it stays Shadyside below Centre). But then, some of the area between Penn and Centre is clearly marked "Friendship."

This confusion is why I call where I live "ELFS": East Liberty/Friendship/Shadyside.

Last edited by jay5835; 06-29-2015 at 11:48 AM..

Old 06-29-2015, 11:41 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I would really have to be standing in front of (or driving through) the area to continue discussing this, but IIRC, in the pre-Google era, the Nabisco factory and Reisenstein School were thought of as being in Larimer and East Liberty, respectively. And pre-Blue Sign Squad, most people thought of both buildings as being in East Liberty.
I understand what would have been commonly thought of as being the borders. The same way that the city has always said that Kelley's is in Shadyside, but no one looked at it that way because it was the "wrong side of the tracks." But Pittsburgh has always defined neighborhoods based upon census tracts (well, now census block groups, since the census eliminated some of the old census tracts) which leads to pretty inexact borders in some cases.

Old 06-29-2015, 12:00 PM

2,401 posts, read 2,101,337 times
It's Shadyliberty yo!

Old 06-29-2015, 12:37 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,957,171 times
The former Reizenstein Middle School along with Mellon Park is considered Shadyside. The former Nabisco Factory and the Port Authority garage is located in Larimer. Penn Avenue is the dividing line. The Bakery Square complex spans two adjacent city neighborhoods.

Old 06-29-2015, 12:45 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,964,681 times
More totally useless information: up until the 1960s or so, the area that is now the Village of Shadyside was considered East Liberty, as well as the Highland Avenue and Ellsworth Avenue business districts. Once the Ellsworth Avenue Bridge was torn down (Ellsworth used to intersect with Centre near Highland), it got cut off from East Liberty and became part of Shadyside.

Old 06-29-2015, 06:29 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,203,240 times
I've pointed that out a few times, since that's where my roots are. Mom grew up where the Village of Shadyside now stands, and Dad grew up one street over. I grew up another five blocks or so from there. Google "Sacred Heart Church" or "Hunt Armory" which are a few blocks yet further south, and any references you find from that time period or earlier reference them as being in East Liberty.

Personally, I think the Village of Shadyside played a role in stemming the creep of East Liberty's decay during the last quarter of the 20th century further into what's now regarded as Shadyside, but it probably wouldn't have sold as well if they'd named it the Village of East Liberty.

Also, my sensibilities don't allow me to consider Nabisco/Bakery Square as being in Larimer. Call the railroad tracks/busway the dividing line, and it is and has always been East Liberty.

Old 06-30-2015, 06:46 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,101,337 times
Growing up I had friends who attended Reizenstein in EL, not Shadyside. People would dispute the Nabisco plant being in Shadyside as well. It's Shadyside's psychological land grab BS, just like Whole Foods and Kelly's. Thankfully the Carnegie Library there is designated the EL branch.

Old 06-30-2015, 07:37 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,092,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
Growing up I had friends who attended Reizenstein in EL, not Shadyside. People would dispute the Nabisco plant being in Shadyside as well. It's Shadyside's psychological land grab BS, just like Whole Foods and Kelly's. Thankfully the Carnegie Library there is designated the EL branch.
Shadyside's land grab or East Liberty looking for better branding?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh