Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 04:13 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,887,829 times

Advertisements

All i can say is "Why?????" I would love to live on Long Island. Have only heard good things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 06:12 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
All i can say is "Why?????" I would love to live on Long Island. Have only heard good things.
You ***** and moan about the cost of living in Pittsburgh, but you want to live on Long Island.

Old 03-07-2015, 12:03 AM

I'm willing to pay if it's worth it. The amenities, weather, and access to the ocean are raved about.

Old 03-07-2015, 12:30 AM

664 posts, read 806,815 times
Quote:
I'm willing to pay if it's worth it. The amenities, weather, and access to the ocean are raved about.
I've been in New York for more than 20 years and I have yet to hear ANYONE "rave" about the weather on Long Island.

And what "amenities" does it have that you can't find just about anywhere else?

Old 03-07-2015, 03:43 AM

The weather on Long Island is much milder than here and they get a ton of sunshine.

The amenities aren't even on the same level as Pittsburgh. Name it and Long Island wins - public transport, restaurants, entertainment, outdoors, shopping, education, walkability, cultural events, air quality, etc.

Old 03-07-2015, 04:20 AM

664 posts, read 806,815 times
Quote:
The weather on Long Island is much milder than here and they get a ton of sunshine.

The amenities aren't even on the same level as Pittsburgh. Name it and Long Island wins - public transport, restaurants, entertainment, outdoors, shopping, education, walkability, cultural events, air quality, etc.
You've never been to Long Island, have you?

Old 03-07-2015, 05:10 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,849 times
Omg really ; you want to move to Long Island ; here is the lowdown

Driving ; There are only three highways on Long Island ; they do not go the whole 120 miles of the island. So the traffic is horrendous.
Public Transportation is a complete joke. The buses are not dependable, The LIRR dosnt go everywhere you would want like the beaches etc ; yes, they go to the Hamptons but then you need to take a taxi from there to the beach.
Education ; my kids went to parochial, but our public schools were huge ; 2000 in each grade.
Cultural events ; really ; check out Long Island for that, and then try to get there by bus.
Air Quality ; again, lots of traffic, truck smog etc.
Walkability ; again, only in the very small villages which cost a fortune

I lived there for 25 years. Check into the cost of living there and the living wage. Our property taxes were $12K a year. Yes, we had a bigger house than here, but that comes with its own issues. People ; they are so angry and stressed.

The only good thing about Long Island is the beaches. They are really pretty. But then again, if you visit some of the bigger beaches, it costs at least $10 to park ; yes, just to park.
Weather ; yes, we got a lot of sunshine, but we also are on the coast which means more hurricanes, more flooding, more snow. In Hurricane Sandy, two of our friends lost their houses and had to rebuild from the ground up.
Oh ; don't forget the politics ; that will definitely have you scratching your head on the beach

Old 03-07-2015, 05:59 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,588,175 times
I've visited Long Island in the past. I didn't see anything there to rave about. Crowded place with some beaches. If you like beaches I guess they are pretty. I personally prefer the more rugged coastline in Maine. Beaches are okay but living on the coast comes with other lovely weather like hurricanes and Northeasters. Having been through some of those while living in CT which is not far away I can't say I would rave about the weather. Oh and if you like your roads plowed....Keep in ind that most of New England does not bother plowing until there are several inches on the ground. Humidity is much higher living near the ocean too. So a hot summer day is even more uncomfortable. You get days when the wind does not stop blowing for a week and by blowing I mean you need to nail everything down and wear earplugs to bed. There are no forests on long Island. It does have some greenery but mostly its house after house of rather uninteresting topography.

I am sure that for many people it is a wonderful place to live. No place on earth is perfect. I'll stick with Pittsburgh.

Old 03-07-2015, 07:30 AM

778 posts, read 839,749 times
I've had many friends from LI in my day, and I've pretty much only heard bad things. I visited once, just briefly, and my overall impression was a giant, overcrowded suburb.

Old 03-07-2015, 07:44 AM

87 posts, read 249,366 times
I agree. Every one of my friends from college (NYC) that grew up on Long Island could not wait to get out, and are choosing to raise their families elsewhere for a multitude of reasons. I still don't understand this idea that LI gets a lot more sunshine than the rest of the tri-state area. I spent a lot of time out there, and never noticed a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh