Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 05:53 AM

16 posts, read 43,734 times

Advertisements

Any thought on the 2 companies (ADT and Guardian) for security systems? We're in Wexford (if that makes a difference).

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2015, 09:55 AM

664 posts, read 806,815 times
I use ADT.

*Knock on wood* I haven't had any problems.

I've always seen ADT as the gold standard of security systems, but frankly I could be wrong. As long as the house is secure, as far as I'm concerned, it "works".

Old 03-08-2015, 10:17 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
I had Guardian for about 10 years, they kept asking me to update my system and when I declined had two false fire alarms sent out. Got home just in time to stop the firemen from breaking in the front door. Don't know if it was a coincidence or not, but after the 2nd time in 2 weeks I cancelled service. So far just having the sign in the yard is working well!

Old 03-08-2015, 12:47 PM

16 posts, read 43,734 times
Anyone else? Guardian is local company and I would like to hear more about them but want to make sure they are not heavy-handed as mentioned above.

Thanks

Old 03-08-2015, 01:30 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,554,052 times
I have Guardian. I'm approaching year 3 of having them. So far, I have no complaints at all with the system or the interactive features. The few times I've had a question or wanted to tinker with something in the system and I call--I get great service on the phone too. I like the fact that they're headquartered in Warrendale. When I say, "Crafton Heights," they know where I am versus asking me what state that's in.

The interactive, alarm.com features seem to work well. I can control my thermostat and equipped door locks from my iPhone and computer from anywhere. You can also add the ability to control equipped lights and cameras.

All in all, I really would recommend Guardian to others.

I do NOT recommend the Comcast/Xfinity security system however. When I first bought my home, I had all Comcast services for barely two weeks. They simply couldn't get any of their services working in my home, so that was a deal breaker. But, there is some weird contractual loop hole with the security system. The contract becomes active after a certain amount of business days, effectively voiding Comcast's own "Money Back Guarantee." Then you're looking at early termination fees, etc. The contract also requires you to have Comcast Internet as well...so it's a very "sneaky" set up, in my opinion. Things may have changed in 3 years, but I will never have another overpriced Comcast or Xfinity service in my home again...even if they could get it working!

Old 03-08-2015, 06:29 PM

436 posts, read 342,818 times
Our home was broken in to on the Friday of Memorial Day Weekend last year. We considered offers from both Guardian and ADT. The Guardian sales rep made me feel like we had another criminal in the house. He tried to get us agree to a 600 dollar installation, and in desperation, kept lowering the cost until he got to 99 dollars. The fact that he was attempting to get over 600 out of us when in the end offered the same service for 99 made my decision easy.

Old 03-08-2015, 08:03 PM

6,357 posts, read 5,050,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8YearsinPittsburgh View Post
Our home was broken in to on the Friday of Memorial Day Weekend last year. We considered offers from both Guardian and ADT. The Guardian sales rep made me feel like we had another criminal in the house. He tried to get us agree to a 600 dollar installation, and in desperation, kept lowering the cost until he got to 99 dollars. The fact that he was attempting to get over 600 out of us when in the end offered the same service for 99 made my decision easy.
Thanks for the anecdote. I may be close to actually buying, and I will know Guardian's rep, based on a few comments here, at least.

Old 03-08-2015, 08:14 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,242,702 times
we have guardian and all has been excellent. And we've not been robbed either ...

Old 03-09-2015, 02:19 AM

664 posts, read 806,815 times
Weighing in again. After reading some of these Guardian horror stories, I can say the ADT people were completely upfront with me, absolutely no pressure, and they even talked me out of expensive options I didn't really need.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:11 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,962,766 times
I've had Guardian for about 25 years and never had a problem. I've only called customer service a few times and had good service. It's nice that they are local and the people I've talked to on the phone have always been helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh