U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-21-2008, 10:54 AM

3 posts, read 8,446 times
Oh and it seems that most of the residents we've met and seen here so far are from 20-30 years old and almost everyone seems to have a dog including myself. Havent met any undesirable people so far! Or dogs for that matter

Old 05-14-2008, 11:50 PM

3 posts, read 8,072 times
Cool more about emerald gardens

i've lived in eg for a few months now, & for me, it's pretty much a catch 22. for those of you who are worried about it being a bad area-- it's really not. the neighborhood surrounding eg isn't great looking, but the people who live there do not in anyway bother, enter, or do anything else regarding the complex. plus, i see at least one police officer patrolling the general area every day. i've never felt at risk or in danger whatsoever.

on the other hand, i definitely have to agree with the person who posted about everything being half-assed. what the landlord should have done was demolished the complex that used to be there and started from scratch instead of remodeling everything. the walls are absolutely awful.. i can hear just about everything my neighbors do. i hear their doors & cupboards open & close, their conversations, their shower, their tv, everything. i could probably punch my arm through the drywall without injuring myself. also, there is glass EVERYWHERE. i'm afraid to walk my dog anywhere besides the sidewalk, & i sure as hell wouldn't go outside in my bare feet. the landscapers came & did such a nice job doing the mulch & plants, but nobody sprayed for weeds, so you can't even focus on how nice the landscaping looks because there are weeds & dandelions all over the place. we have a recurring problem with ants & spiders, & at least 3 of our neighbors have said that they do as well. you can't clean the granite countertops because everything that touches them soaks right through & leaves a stain. it takes a good ten minutes to get the back door to lock, & if you don't lock the front door when it's windy, it'll blow right open. i came downstairs from the bathroom one day to find my front door standing wide open. & it's also true that none of the stuff they advertise is there. there is a fitness center, a laundry room, & a dog run, but there is definitely no convenience store or any of that bs. they claim that they're putting that, a tanning salon, & a few other things in, but i haven't seen any progress yet.

as far as the people who live there go, everyone is generally nice. i've noticed that the majority of people who live there are fairly young, but it's not like it's some sort of college campus. the noise level is definitely reasonable, & it would be perfection if i couldn't hear through the walls.

definitely not renewing my lease when it's up though.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:15 PM

125 posts, read 257,419 times
So who living here would like to have a barbeque or something later this summer? Anyone?

Old 05-15-2008, 10:55 PM

522 posts, read 1,133,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarcougar View Post
so we figured there's no harm in giving it a shot.
I think the previous several posts pretty much outlined the potential harm. I wouldn't say your risk for harm is "no harm", as you say. The area has been described by many a local on these forums and others as "the next worst place" in the Pittsburgh Metro. Doesn't that place feed Langley High School for God's sake? Property values in Sheredan and Ingram have been on the decline for a decade. Violence is on the rise. One new rennovation in the middle of it doesn't make the rest go away. And you are taking all this risk on...a rental? To be the first to move into a declining ghetto might ...MIGHT...make sense if you were buying investment property, hoping to captalize on your risk after the gentrification was complete. It would at least be a risk-reward venture then. As is, it is risk-risk.

What I wouldn't do to have been the guy that invented granite countertops. If there was an internet in 1973 these forums would have been filled with people looking to move into McKees Rocks because they found an awesome rental "with powder blue formica and wall-to-wall carpeting close to the new exciting West Hills Shopping Center".

Yes- I've been in the complex. Looks to me like all was done on the cheap. Granite countertops and particle board holding it up. I suppose that is true of a lot of "flips" though where the motive is to maximize profit and not necessarily build quality, so I can't hold that against it.

What is rent there anyway? They are probably charging, what? $900 for a 2 bedroom? I hope that isn't true, because I gotta believe there are better places to live for $900. Please tell me it is $500. For that, I might marvel at my granite countertops in the hood.

Old 05-16-2008, 12:04 AM

Quote:
The area has been described by many a local on these forums and others as "the next worst place" in the Pittsburgh Metro.
If anyone says that Fairywood is "the next worst place," then they are on crack. It is certainly near bad areas, but I don't think the area itself is bad. If anything, the area has seen VAST improvement with the elimination of Broadhead Manor three years ago.

One of the main reasons I feel safe about Emerald Gardens (besides the fact that I've been there several times, including night time), is when I try to think like a criminal. If someone wants to come rob us or murder us or whatever, they will have to get in their car and specifically drive to the complex - there is nothing else around us. After they drive there, they will have to distract/maim/kill a guard and then get through the car gate. While these things are not crazy, and a really dedicated thug would do them, I doubt an average delinquent would want to go to all that trouble. They would be more likely to rob someone near their neighborhood who doesn't have security. At least that's what I would do if I would commit a crime, but I'm not so inclined, so who knows?
I don't know what it exactly is, but I am not afraid to live here. I can't live in fear of jackasses and let them run my city.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:23 AM

13 posts, read 39,669 times
okay, i've been living here for about 5 months, so let me give it to you straight. first off, people need to quit living in the past and being afraid of fairywood. all it is, is a bunch of older african americans, who would have no reason to cause any harm. honestly, who gives a ***** what happened 3-6 years ago with broadhead/westgate? quit living in the past, its not nearly as bad. plus if you are scared to drive through there, there are multiple ways around. as far as the rent goes, its $695 for a 2 bedroom. considering they are newly renovated and its 5 minutes from downtown where you can avoid the parkway, it's not that bad of a deal. you get a private entry way, a patio, 2 bedrooms, large kitchen, lots of storage, gated entrance, small, but nice bathroom. overall, the place is not that bad, especially for $695. everyone who lives here is very friendly, everyone has dogs, and they take very good care of the landscaping. okay, now the negatives...the walls are kind of thin, but in our apartment, we don't really hear too much. this is my 3rd apartment in pittsburgh in the last 2 years, and trust me you're gonna hear noise regardless. the granite countertop will stain if you don't take great care of it, but it's not a big deal. there's not really that much that i'm unhappy about here at eg. when we moved here we were scared of the "ghetto" surrounding us, but honestly, it's not bad at all. so for the price/location/quality, you're not going to beat it...

Old 05-16-2008, 11:12 AM

8 posts, read 19,291 times
Ive lived here since March and it seems fine. Its 2008 remember that. Not 1970s or 1980s or even the 1990s.

And yes we bbq a lot hit us up.

My user name is equal to my AIM name so if people in our community, Emerald Gardens for some who forget lol, want to bbq and drink some beers get at me.

Old 05-17-2008, 06:41 PM

9 posts, read 22,780 times
Default Ugh!

So to add to my previous posts I have had more hell here! My air conditioner has broken twice and they still cant get it fixed. I am now going on my 3rd dishwasher. There has been nothing but parties by my apartement. Im young myself but it gets ridiculous! Have some respect for your neighbors! I mean people puking on the side walk is just nasty! My court is full of rednecks that are to lazy to throw their garbage in the dumpster! They NEVER maintain anything! They finally weed wacked for the 1st time since I moved in in FEB! When they fix something in your apartment they leave a horrible mess. The management is the rudest I have ever been in contact with! The fitness center equipement is CRAP! And with one of everything someone is always on something! 5 washers and 5 dryers for a whole community is ridiculous! And how about we get a change machine! My row of townhouses is full of gas leaks and Tara told me they would all be checked! BS! Equitable was here YESTERDAY checking out another leak! We had have 2 already! Everything is CRAP here! I have met a handful of nice couples and all of them are unhappy and leaving when their lease is up! We to have had the ants and spiders. The extirminator is nice at least! And when they do cut the grass they blow it all over the patios and it was wet and stuck all over my back door. There is DEF glass everywhere! There are huge holes dug with boards over them and they have been like that for months. When you drive into Emerald Gardens everything looks beautiful and is maintained by the office and model home. The 1st court is beautiful. And then there is mine! Nothing has been finished! They dont finish one project before they start another. When you do call maintence the head guy shows up and he can hardly speak english and wont even let you explain what is wrong. I have now been told I have to send a certified letter for everything because tara doesnt like me. Its not my fault everything breaks and i need them here all the time! we are told over and over that we are the only people with problems I believe the exact quote is that "its unique to the community" I know thats BS! I could go on and on seriously!
On a positive note... I do not believe the area is dangerous. My husband and I feel completely safe here.
The gate doesnt do much good though! You can just walk around it and come right in! The guard doesnt even look at you when you come in or when someone needs buzzed in. You have to beep to get his attention. And quite frankly if someone wanted to do harm here getting past the guard who is probably in his late 60's wouldnt be to hard!!!
Okay I am done for now! But it would be nice to meet some other couples who feel the same and would like to get together once in awhile!

Old 05-18-2008, 07:20 PM

I'm starting to get a little scared to move in haha.
I guess I can only hope not to experience the same problems that you are dealing with. Have you tried calling the cops on the apartment that's having loud parties? That might be the kick in the pants they need to settle down a bit.
My friends and I are moving in on June 1st and we're all up for getting together with other people in the complex. The more people that get to know each other the better, I think. I like knowing who my neighbors are and being able to communicate if there are issues that affect all of us.

Old 05-20-2008, 03:02 PM

3 posts, read 8,072 times
no no no don't get scared to move in. there is a lot of **** that needs to be taken care of, and there are even some things that can't be taken care of (like the noise through the walls) but still.. you're paying less than 700$ for a two bedroom townhouse. you'll be moving in to a community with a whole bunch of generally cool people. i'm sure you'll find your own set of complaints but it's not like we're living in harlem lol. i personally have never had any BIG problems with noise. i've never heard any parties or anything like that. it's a little annoying to hear your neighbors, but you don't hear them because they're screaming. the walls just blow. of course there are a few d-bags who live here.. people who seem to think that they own the place.. but you'll get that anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh