Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 05:20 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,473,512 times

Advertisements

Try Bradford Woods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 05:31 AM

6,357 posts, read 5,021,282 times
You might have seen the busier areas of the city. There ARE neighborhoods where parking is not really an issue, but they aren't totally visible (compared to Lawrenceville, etc). What comes to mind is Westwood. That neighborhood is in the city, so to avoid taxes (one of your concerns), closeby Crafton Borough also might be an option.

Westwood I like very much. There are amenities within a short walk and/or drive. The housing stock is what I prefer - mid-century ranch style (not popular with some people, but OK). I've looked for a home there for a while, so I do know there are many very tidy, well-kept streets (if that is an indication of the neighbors).

Crafton Borough is a mix - "character" homes, but houses of all shapes and sizes. I doubt on this board there has been one dissenting voice about Crafton. (Do not confuse Crafton with Crafton Heights, a nearby city neighborhood).

Both these neighborhoods come alive in the warmer months with festivals, street presence, and so on.

I think you might look in that area. Where is your job located? From Crafton and Westwood to the more central areas of the City is not a bad bus ride or commute.

No offense, but you said you are open-minded (EVERYONE says that, meaning they agree to the status quo), and adaptable. From your post, it sounds like you are a little wary of change. It's understood - as much as I need a change (ie NO MORE RENTING FROM @#$%), I have been reluctant to buy a house. So, you've come to the right place for opinions! But BE open-minded! No place is perfect at a first impression.

Good luck! We hope your family likes it here.

Old 03-17-2015, 06:48 AM

4 posts, read 7,606 times
Let me know what you find. We are in the same situation with a 10 and 7 year old. Moving from Houston Texas where the housing market is attractive.

Old 03-17-2015, 07:23 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,767,980 times
Try South Fayette schools ; Bridgeville, McDonald and Oakdale. You should definitely be able to get something in your price range either new or old in those areas. Schools are really great.

Old 03-17-2015, 07:26 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,114,432 times
Maybe you shouldn't even move here. It soundds like all you're going to do is complain about this area.

Old 03-17-2015, 07:49 AM

14,362 posts, read 16,915,930 times
One thing to keep in mind for the Pittsburgh area is since the economy sucked from roughly 1980 to a few years ago, there's relatively little new construction suburbia. I mean, it exists of course (mostly in areas like Cranberry, Peters, South Fayette, etc) but with a roughly static metro-wide population it more snatched away the upper-middle class from the first ring suburbs than anything. Normal middle-class people had plentiful affordable housing options in dated (mid-century or earlier) neighborhoods, and liked it just fine.

My own tastes run more towards historic than contemporary, and I couldn't care less about big yards or off-street parking. Still, if I go onto zillow, look for 3 bedrooms, 1.5 baths with over 4,000 square feet of yard between $300K-$400K built after 1979, I see nearly 200 in the region. I find it hard to believe you can't find a single one which would meet your needs.

I do agree in terms of aesthetics Upper Saint Clair leaves a lot to be desired though. It's really marketed almost entirely on the strength of its school district (which is routinely the top performer in the region), which means it doesn't need to have the charm that somewhere like Mount Lebanon or Sewickley have to warrant high prices.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:05 AM

461 posts, read 746,128 times
How about Bellevue? Lovely old homes, decent schools, cute and functional business district, close to the city.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:15 AM

3,591 posts, read 3,362,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Maybe you shouldn't even move here. It soundds like all you're going to do is complain about this area.
Kind of what I was thinking. If you can work at home, why make it here.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:16 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,451,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
One thing to keep in mind for the Pittsburgh area is since the economy sucked from roughly 1980 to a few years ago, there's relatively little new construction suburbia.

I really only know the east suburbs well. We are the forgotten, unimportant direction from the city.
And there is a boatload of newer contstruction Norwin, Franklin, Hempfield, and Penn Trafford so i can only assume the more popular suburbs are the same way if not more.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:26 AM

111 posts, read 114,339 times
Maybe try Sewickley? Ben Avon?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh