Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 03:17 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,204,248 times

Advertisements

Yeah, when walking or riding a motorcycle we never assume drivers are going to obey the laws. Thinking that is always going to happen in this day and age is a fallacy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 03:44 PM

1,106 posts, read 1,163,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I'm honestly tiring of motorists behind me honking at me when I stop to wave mothers with strollers across well-marked yet unsignalized crosswalks along Wilkins Avenue, Braddock Avenue, Bates Street, Beechwood Boulevard, Bigelow Boulevard, Penn Avenue, etc. The one at Wilkins & Murray is especially burdensome, as well as the ones on Bigelow and the one at Beechwood & Loretta. I've had many, many close-calls with being rear-ended (and not in the good way) since moving here, and the first person who does this to me is getting a good old-fashioned knuckle sandwich as I stomp on their iPhone.
I always yield to pedestrians, and I let them really get across (as opposed to the cars that are immediately on the heels of pedestrians as they turn the corner), and I have never had this happen. Is it because I am a woman? Darker skinned? Exude patience and goodness?
I always expect it to happen (based on experiences in other cities) but it never does.

Old 03-28-2015, 10:41 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,054,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charisb View Post
I always yield to pedestrians, and I let them really get across (as opposed to the cars that are immediately on the heels of pedestrians as they turn the corner), and I have never had this happen. Is it because I am a woman? Darker skinned? Exude patience and goodness?
I always expect it to happen (based on experiences in other cities) but it never does.
^^^ yes, it has everything to do with your skin color and gender. ]\

Old 03-29-2015, 05:57 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,243,623 times
This might just be the saddest, old person's rage thread I have every seen, And a tad racist too - you oldies need some youthful exuberance, methinks

Old 03-29-2015, 09:50 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,008,001 times
Quote:
I'm honestly tiring of motorists behind me honking at me when I stop to wave mothers with strollers across well-marked yet unsignalized crosswalks along Wilkins Avenue, Braddock Avenue, Bates Street, Beechwood Boulevard, Bigelow Boulevard, Penn Avenue, etc. The one at Wilkins & Murray is especially burdensome, as well as the ones on Bigelow and the one at Beechwood & Loretta. I've had many, many close-calls with being rear-ended (and not in the good way) since moving here, and the first person who does this to me is getting a good old-fashioned knuckle sandwich as I stomp on their iPhone.
Yeah, I'm pretty tired of narcissist drivers. I'm not how many here would be familiar with the Beulah Road/376 on-ramp intersection at the border between Penn Hills and Churchill, sort of in front of the Churchill police station. If you're heading south on Beulah, there's a white line before the right hand turn to William Penn Highway, where you're required to stop when the light is red further down Beulah. This is so that people can actually turn left off McCrady Road (the road that runs in front of the Beulah Presbyterian Church) to get to William Penn (and 376) themselves. Otherwise they'd never be able to.

Anyway, if you actually stop at that white line (if you're someone like me intended to go through the light ahead rather than trying to get to 376), people behind you lose their everloving minds because they're being forced to wait until the light ahead turns green to be able to get to William Penn themselves. Even though there can be over a dozen vehicles who need to get off McCrady, and this is their only chance to do so, and even though the people behind on Beulah have all the chances in the world to go when the light is green. Some of the most aggressive, angry ones lately have had out-of-state plates, I've noticed.

Pedestrians also risk their lives at this intersection pretty often since there's a park and ride right there, and in their infinite wisdom, the actual bus stop that goes downtown is across the road, right at this spot where people go ****ing mental trying to get to 376. It's a mess.

The intersection, for those who don't know it, if they're curious. https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4464...SWyrjgOTCw!2e0

Old 03-30-2015, 06:40 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,004,813 times
Quote:
I've had many, many close-calls with being rear-ended (and not in the good way) since moving here, and the first person who does this to me is getting a good old-fashioned knuckle sandwich as I stomp on their iPhone.
Just hope they don't pull a gun, or, quite frankly, lawyer up. I'm not in the habit of rear-ending people, but if some psychopath got in my face after a fender bender, in addition to pressing criminal charges, I'd bleed him dry with a civil suit (and a savvy East Ender would probably do just that).

Old 03-31-2015, 02:09 AM

2,369 posts, read 2,912,524 times
I just walk into them. oops my bad. or I did around pitt. id like to think of it as the hardknocks schooling of proper walking etiquette

Old 03-31-2015, 08:59 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,085,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
Just hope they don't pull a gun, or, quite frankly, lawyer up. I'm not in the habit of rear-ending people, but if some psychopath got in my face after a fender bender, in addition to pressing criminal charges, I'd bleed him dry with a civil suit (and a savvy East Ender would probably do just that).
I'm sure they would bleed you dry in return for being the idiot who messed up their car.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:12 AM

9,340 posts, read 13,004,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave09 View Post
I'm sure they would bleed you dry in return for being the idiot who messed up their car.
SCR's scenario didn't include shanking.

Old 03-31-2015, 01:19 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
Fine. I'll skip the knuckle sandwich and just grab their iPhone and stomp on it. The message being conveyed to them as their pacifiers are destroyed will be worth me paying $600 for a new one for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh