Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 03:15 AM

2,634 posts, read 3,693,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodjules View Post
OMG, I turned on the AC in May and didn't turn it off until October! Clearly we have very different tolerances of heat.
With ALL the water (rivers) Pittsburgh HAS to be humid! Humidity has been my biggest concern re moving to Pittsburgh. However, the posters here have educated me: how it affects a person is an individual call. But I already know, now, after all this input, that, for me, I will just lie down and die in July and August. LOL

I think I will invest in a BIG dehumidifier, for my apartment!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 04:40 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Wind chill of 5 degrees as we prepare to head out to do laundry. It's almost April. Have to admit I'm tiring of "bundling up" in "Spring".

Old 03-28-2015, 06:42 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,093,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
With ALL the water (rivers) Pittsburgh HAS to be humid! Humidity has been my biggest concern re moving to Pittsburgh. However, the posters here have educated me: how it affects a person is an individual call. But I already know, now, after all this input, that, for me, I will just lie down and die in July and August. LOL

The water in the rivers is moving, there is a breeze. It is cooler on the river.

Old 03-28-2015, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Wind chill of 5 degrees as we prepare to head out to do laundry. It's almost April. Have to admit I'm tiring of "bundling up" in "Spring".
I understand. By the time the first of October rolls around here (which is when our heat FINALLY really starts to abate -- most years, not all years, sometimes it's November), I'm so tired of it, I could scream. Plus, summer isn't even pretty here (at least I don't think so, except for the wonderful, many lightening and thunder storms).

The bottom line here is that we have 4 months of summer (at least) and 4 months of winter (altho' not nearly as bad as yours), and that leaves only 4 months of nice weather. If we're lucky. At least a couple of years, in the past 9 years that I've been here, we've gone from summer to winter -- no fall. And from winter to summer -- no spring.

Yes, it gets tiring after a while. But -- take it from someone who lived in Southern CA for 45 years -- nice weather all year round gets VERY boring.

Pittsburgh has other good things to offer.

Would I move to Pittsburgh if I were 20? Probably not. Before the traffic became truly intolerable, working in Southern CA was THE BEST. I couldn't have asked for a better place to spend my work life. No snow, no flooding rains. But over the decades Southern CA has become a place where you REALLY don't want to live (too many people, too much traffic, high taxes, too many people, too much traffic, high taxes). Doesn't matter if you're poor or rich -- it's not a good place to live anymore, hasn't been in at least 20 years, and it certainly isn't going to get any better. Oh, and it's getting hotter, longer, and more humid every year. And Southern CA isn't even pretty any more (and I remember when it was) -- now it's wall-to-wall houses and businesses (along the coast) from then north Santa Barbara city limit to Tijuana.

Now I'm old -- and what we want from a place to live -- and can give to a place -- changes in old age. And I don't have any family to tie me down.

Old 03-28-2015, 07:17 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:

Yes, it's humid in Pittsburgh.

Old 03-28-2015, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
The water in the rivers is moving, there is a breeze. It is cooler on the river.
Humidity doesn't have much to do with hot or cold. It's cooler on the coast of Southern CA -- it's still pretty humid. I was in Boston for two weeks one October -- it was cold -- and, to me, the humidity was almost unbearable. [Of course, not unbearable in the same way as summer humidity is unbearable.] It rained most of the time I was there -- in fact, a lot of parts of MA flooded the day after I left -- that was 2005, I think. But still . . . . Boston is humid all year round. And I think Pittsburgh is, more than likelym humid most of the year too, at least to the new people on the block. Just less so than NYC, Boston, etc.

Old 03-28-2015, 07:34 AM

Here are some weather stats for Pittsburgh:
https://weatherspark.com/averages/31...-United-States

Compare/contrast with Boston:
https://weatherspark.com/averages/29...-United-States

New York:

Similar humidities all.

Old 03-28-2015, 08:00 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,773,197 times
Quote:

As long as you have central air conditioning, that should be enough.

Old 03-28-2015, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
Here are some weather stats for Pittsburgh:

Compare/contrast with Boston:
https://weatherspark.com/averages/29...-United-States

New York:

Similar humidities all.
I looked at your web sites and did my own research too -- you're right -- they are similar. But Pittsburgh is still better than Boston!

It's a little humorous -- I woke up this morning thinking that MANY people live in Boston/MA permanently and may others are there for years while they go to college. Some people who go to Boston, just for college, wind up making Boston their permanent or long-time home. They survive. I'll survive in Pittsburgh.

After the past 5 years of research of all the states and all the major cities, I have there places I can go and enjoy, to a greater or less extent, where I live: I can stay in NM -- I really don't want to do that; I can move back to San Diego -- absolutely not a possibility; or I can move to Pittsburgh !

Just as an aside, as I've been researching -- do you know that PA is one of the few places in The US that does not have natural disasters -- you don't have hurricanes, tornadoes, major earthquakes -- and I've experienced enough tornadoes (Missouri and Oklahoma) and major earthquakes (California) to last me a lifetime. Humidity -- I'll learn to live with it. [ LOLOLOLOL] I'll have central AC -- AND I'll get a dehumidifier!

Old 03-28-2015, 09:31 AM

Quote:
I looked at your web sites and did my own research too -- you're right -- they are similar. But Pittsburgh is still better than Boston!

It's a little humorous -- I woke up this morning thinking that MANY people live in Boston/MA permanently and may others are there for years while they go to college. Some people who go to Boston, just for college, wind up making Boston their permanent or long-time home. They survive. I'll survive in Pittsburgh.

After the past 5 years of research of all the states and all the major cities, I have there places I can go and enjoy, to a greater or less extent, where I live: I can stay in NM -- I really don't want to do that; I can move back to San Diego -- absolutely not a possibility; or I can move to Pittsburgh !

Just as an aside, as I've been researching -- do you know that PA is one of the few places in The US that does not have natural disasters -- you don't have hurricanes, tornadoes, major earthquakes -- and I've experienced enough tornadoes (Missouri and Oklahoma) and major earthquakes (California) to last me a lifetime. Humidity -- I'll learn to live with it. [ LOLOLOLOL] I'll have central AC -- AND I'll get a dehumidifier!
God, yes, how could anyone who has ever lived there, or posted on this board, not know that! It's a common refrain: "you don't want to move to (insert name of city, state, country, continent, solar system, etc) they have (insert type of natural disaster)". You'll find out soon enough.

Central air should take care of the humidity for you. Some people do put dehumidifiers in their basements, as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh