Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 09:50 PM

5 posts, read 5,460 times

Advertisements

I am moving to pittsburgh from Virginia for my new job . I have twin daughters who are in elementary school and I need a 3 bedroom apartment/ house in the range of 1500-2000, with two most important considerations being-

1. Good school district
2. Easy Public commute to downtown as driving is a constraint for me.

Please pour in some ideas as I am thoroughly confused. I have been contemplating north allegheny school district but not sure of the commute to downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 10:10 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,230,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NehaRuia View Post
I am moving to pittsburgh from Virginia for my new job . I have twin daughters who are in elementary school and I need a 3 bedroom apartment/ house in the range of 1500-2000, with two most important considerations being-

1. Good school district
2. Easy Public commute to downtown as driving is a constraint for me.

Please pour in some ideas as I am thoroughly confused. I have been contemplating north allegheny school district but not sure of the commute to downtown.
North Allegheny is indeed a great school district, but a crappy selection for a public transport to downtown.

Mt. Lebanon is also an excellent school district, and right on the LRT line as well as the Banksville Rd. bus (depending on where in ML you are coming from) going into downtown.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:39 PM

3,592 posts, read 3,370,394 times
I would cast my vote for Mt Lebanon or bethel park. But in bethel park you will need to be on the trolley line.

Old 04-04-2015, 06:28 AM

32,613 posts, read 77,432,847 times
I would recommend Mt. Lebanon. You'd be in an upper-middle-class community with a good public school district, and the town lies along the train line to Downtown.

Old 04-04-2015, 06:58 AM

225 posts, read 322,988 times
The only trolley line to downtown runs through the south hills. If public transportation is a must, you are probably limited to the Mt Lebo area.

If public transportation is not a "must" then the north hills/North Allegheny option is better. The commute to downtown isn't bad, but you will most likely have to drive. There are busses, but they are not as convenient.

Old 04-04-2015, 07:26 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,028,360 times
The North Allegheny School District has long been acclaimed as one of the most academically elite and prestigious school districts in the Pittsburgh region. The McCandless Township segment of this school district has more valued community amenities available than virtually any other local area (including two colleges, a huge county park, a hospital, an impressive, large library,etc., all within its boundaries). Both the school district and the township have been recognized nationally as being among the best in the country by noted publications and research groups in recent years.

The newest interstate highway system in the immediate Pittsburgh region comes from the northern portion of Allegheny County- the only highway locally that actually has an HOV lane and no traffic-clogging tunnels to disrupt your commute. If you travel to town for major sporting events, concerts, plays, parades, etc., HOV lanes are often opened to all leaving the crowded venues, allowing for a very quick travel home. Commuting to Pittsburgh from most portions of the North Allegheny School District by car is not seamless, however, as McKnight Road can sometimes become congested (but nothing like what you might be used to Virginia, nor anywhere that requires you to commute through the Pittsburgh tunnels). Although still in the planning stages, there are plans to "sync" these McKnight Road stop lights in the foreseeable future to ease the potential for traffic slow-downs. Direct public transportation (bus) to downtown is readily available in McCandless with buses leaving/ coming home at 15 minute intervals at key times during the work day.

Your potential home choice in the North Allegheny School District is an excellent one. Plus, you would be moving into one of the most progressive suburbs in the Pittsburgh region, and yet, have a multitude of community amenities (many often free, or very inexpensive) within minutes of your home. Good luck in your search, and welcome to Pittsburgh!

Old 04-05-2015, 02:23 PM

5 posts, read 5,460 times
Thanks everyone. Unfortunately I am not getting a good accommodation in Mt Lebo area . So now I am trying to focus on Bethel Park . I also trying to see the school ranking instead of just looking at school district in isolation. Not sure it that's the best approach ...so I saw a apartment in Green tree road Pittsburgh where the elementary school ranking is 10 .

But thanks again for all your suggestions. It's been helpful

Old 04-05-2015, 04:55 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,777,128 times
Try South Fayette. The school district is really good. It used to take me about an hour to drive to the city to work, however, if you take the T from Dormont, it is a 20 min ride.

Old 04-05-2015, 07:51 PM

3,592 posts, read 3,370,394 times
South Fayette also has bus service to town, you can try Ingram or crafton also.

Old 04-06-2015, 10:53 PM

26 posts, read 25,436 times
I am from the North Hills Area.

I would recommend:

Hampton Township
Mccandless Township
Ross Township
Ohio Township
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh