Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 12:23 PM

419 posts, read 446,104 times

Advertisements

'A New Cranberry': Developers eye new growth in Butler County | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Lower taxes are often cited as one of the reasons for Cranberry's boom since it is in Butler County. Another reason is the fact that is where 19, 79, and the turnpike converge. One other factor that is hardly ever mentioned but is a major reason for the growth is that the topography in Cranberry and Souther Butler County is a bit flatter than we find in and around the city of Pittsburgh and most of Allegheny County. Tis allows for more sprawl. If that is your thing, you'll be happy that more shopping centers and subdivisions are on the way up north.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 12:25 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
You know, just the other day I found myself thinking "I wish a major metropolitan area with a declining population could have another much-needed exurban housing boom". I'm glad my prayers have been answered!

Old 04-06-2015, 12:29 PM

419 posts, read 446,104 times
You seem to be souring on Pittsburgh SCR. I don't sense the enthusiasm that you seemed to have before. Maybe I'm out to lunch, but it is just an observation.

Old 04-06-2015, 12:33 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
If they didn't want it they wouldn't build it. Pretty obvious, but then again, it's been obvious.

Old 04-06-2015, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket88 View Post
You seem to be souring on Pittsburgh SCR. I don't sense the enthusiasm that you seemed to have before. Maybe I'm out to lunch, but it is just an observation.
Dealing with a lot of stress from a lot of different directions lately. Sorry if you've gleaned more negativity than usual, as I still really love living here overall. A lot of people close to me have been dealing with serious health issues, and work has been more stressful than ever before.

Back on topic...

My first reply was sarcasm. I can't think of a worse waste of open space than new housing developments at a time when the population in the area at-large is in decline. All you're doing is picking up an increasingly smaller and smaller population and spreading them out thinner and thinner like butter across a larger land footprint, making providing infrastructure and services more expensive for everyone in the long run. It would be different if the region was growing, and then it would make sense to provide people with options---urban vs. suburban vs. rural. When the population is dropping all you're doing is pitting newer exurbs (i.e. Cranberry Township) against established older suburban areas (i.e. Ross Township, Shaler Township) for the same dwindling pool of potential residents.

I suppose psychologically it just hurt me a bit to see Metro Pittsburgh showing the worst population nosedive in the country, according to the most recent estimates. I'd probably be psychologically depressed if I lived in Erie, too, and knew that next year's estimate would be putting the city's population under 100,000 for the first time in generations. Pennsylvania needs to start getting its act together because our state SUCKS in many rankings these days.

Old 04-06-2015, 01:17 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,917,912 times
Do you have a link to this worst population nosedrive? I haven't seen it and am interested....

All I have seen is this...

The population of the Pittsburgh metro area remained steady in the year ended July 1, 2014, at 2,355,968 residents, according to newly released data from the U.S. Census Bureau.

http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburg....html?page=all

Old 04-06-2015, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Do you have a link to this worst population nosedrive? I haven't seen it and am interested....
2014 Pittsburgh MSA population estimates: More bad news than good

2014 United States Census Estimates for Region, States, CSA, MSA, & Crossover

Old 04-06-2015, 01:22 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,966,065 times
The population is stable, according to the numbers for 2014 that were released a couple weeks ago. If it were not for the fact that the death rate is still higher than the birth rate, the population would have increased, since we have pretty strong net domestic and international migration. The census bureau website has the complete breakdown. Allegheny and Butler County are stable or increasing, while the rest of the sub-urban counties show declines.

But I agree with SCR, a relatively flat population probably doesn't warrant the amount of sprawl we're seeing. It's just not very efficient in the long run.

Old 04-06-2015, 01:59 PM

831 posts, read 878,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I can't think of a worse waste of open space than new housing developments at a time when the population in the area at-large is in decline.
How is it a waste of open space if there are no viable alternatives for someone who wants to live north of the city, own more land than a city plot would give them, live in a relatively low crime area, and not spend what it costs to buy something equivalent in Cranberry?

Old 04-06-2015, 02:05 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,919,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post

All I have seen is this...

The population of the Pittsburgh metro area remained steady in the year ended July 1, 2014, at 2,355,968 residents, according to newly released data from the U.S. Census Bureau.

Pittsburgh metro area's population remained relatively unchanged in the year ended July 1, 2014, at 2,355,968. - Pittsburgh Business Times
They are all estimates for gosh sakes. Stop worrying so much about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh