Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 10:48 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,912,901 times

Advertisements

lol. uber doesn't have a real office. they rent out office spaces for a few days a week. and ill bet these IT folks are paid 10/hr and work part-time. As an IT guy I find it subpar how uber has managed their data breach and subpart technology. its like they hired only fresh out of school folks to design,implement their entire stuff.

their security is a joke. they claim no one stole drivers SS#,bank info or customers info. they are a bunch of liars as is lyft.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 05:24 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,243,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
lol. uber doesn't have a real office. they rent out office spaces for a few days a week. and ill bet these IT folks are paid 10/hr and work part-time. As an IT guy I find it subpar how uber has managed their data breach and subpart technology. its like they hired only fresh out of school folks to design,implement their entire stuff.

their security is a joke. they claim no one stole drivers SS#,bank info or customers info. they are a bunch of liars as is lyft.
They how did someone i know just get hired by Uber engineering on over 100K pa? Methinks your Uber IT knowledge may be a little out of date

Old 04-09-2015, 07:48 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,586,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
They how did someone i know just get hired by Uber engineering on over 100K pa? Methinks your Uber IT knowledge may be a little out of date
Again, this is their robotics center in Lawrenceville. If people would read the article they'd realize people are talking about they're looking for automotive engineers and EEs and robotics expertise. Most of the general plain Jane IT operations are in SF. What they want in the Pittsburgh office is specialized expertise, they'll pay for it. You don't poach researchers from CMU on the cheap.

Old 04-09-2015, 08:01 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,586,085 times
And, while there are six figure jobs in Technology, a lot of that's either specialized skills or a decade plus of experience. I don't doubt ATC when he says his experience is low pay, but a senior level engineer with gray hair and niche expertise is generally making six figs. To the point it's not even anything to brag about. I think relatively new college grads have a totally different experience, mine doesn't invalidate theirs and vice versa.

Old 04-09-2015, 08:21 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
I would laugh if Apple relocated everything here. The reason ; it has had a huge prescence in Cork, Ireland where I am from since the early 80's. When it came, it promised everything and did deliver for a few years. My sister and her ex worked there ; ex still works there, was his first and only job ever. But now they only hire contract workers.
According to the article, that's not in the plan.
"Apple is expanding its domestic footprint on many fronts, including building a new data facility in Reno, Nevada and expanding its operations office in Austin, Texas. And just yesterday it was reported Apple is working to expand its facilities in the Boston area where it has a team working on speech recognition.

The company also is building a new corporate office in Cupertino that is under extensive construction."

They are almost doubling their office space in Pittsburgh; it doesn't say if they're almost doubling their workforce.

Old 04-09-2015, 08:24 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post

They've got their problems, that's for sure. An Uber driver in Denver took a customer to the airport and went back to try to rob her home!
UberX driver accused of trying to break into Denver home is arrested - The Denver Post

Old 04-09-2015, 09:51 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,243,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
And, while there are six figure jobs in Technology, a lot of that's either specialized skills or a decade plus of experience. I don't doubt ATC when he says his experience is low pay, but a senior level engineer with gray hair and niche expertise is generally making six figs. To the point it's not even anything to brag about. I think relatively new college grads have a totally different experience, mine doesn't invalidate theirs and vice versa.
I have MSc students graduating with offers of 90+K. In Pittsburgh ... they get 6 figs in SV easy. And need it!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh