Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 11:58 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,492,470 times

Advertisements

Maybe they can start by totally altering the design of the new US Steel world headquarters so it doesn't look like a giant suburban office park building on the cusp of downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 12:07 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,741,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
Maybe they can start by totally altering the design of the new US Steel world headquarters so it doesn't look like a giant suburban office park building on the cusp of downtown.
don't you remember, they did alter it.... they added that framing around the front entrance which nobody cared about and used a darker steel frame, which again nobody cared about.

Old 04-17-2015, 12:48 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,842,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
I've read that you can supplement that care by purchasing medical treatment from the private sector. have you found that to be the case?
While I won't pretend to know what it is today as its been a few years since I've needed to pay attention to UK health insurance, yes private insurance & ex-Nhs healthcare providers are an option, though the available procedures are usually limited. I've not had any personal interaction with them as my (& very few in general) employers didn't offer private health insurance coverage. They're also mostly prevalent in London & much less so elsewhere in the country.

Last edited by UKyank; 04-17-2015 at 01:11 PM..

Old 04-17-2015, 01:09 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,232,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
Thanks for responding, gortornator! That's usually the information critics of universal health care leave out when trying to compare the US to the rest of the world.
It is. And to me it gives the best of both worlds at no extra cost - my 1.5% tax levy for medicare and private health coverage cost in Australia was almost identical in price to what I pay here for my employers sponsored scheme. And gave pretty much the same coverage.

I think the situation in Canada is different, but honestly don't know the details. European countries vary a lot too, but I'd have to dig for details.

Old 04-17-2015, 06:53 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,622,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
It is the only place in the world I have been run over by a bicycle. The Danes are evil
Evil? As the granddaughter of a Danish immigrant from Copenhagen, I take offense!

Old 04-17-2015, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
You can in UK. Same in Australia, and we always did. The universal care was good enough for 99% of stuff, but we had extra cover for times like when my wife tore her ACL skiing, and with insurance we got that fixed in days instead of weeks. But private insurance was by no means necessary - I forget the % of peeps who had it - maybe 25%? Of that order anyway. Dunno what it is in UK?

Any universal health care system will inevitably give varying levels of service. A friend of mine's father was in hospital for 2 years in UK and received amazing care until he died. All free. So there's a reason the NHS in the UK is untouchable politically, and same with medicare in Australia - they do a fine job for most people.

The US has as good health care as anywhere in the world, no doubt.

If you can afford it, of course ....
My best friend, an American, married an Italian and they lived in Italy for almost 30 years. Italy also has supplemental insurance that you can purchase on top of the free universal health care. My friend pointed out that a single mom in Italy working a minimum wage job would have free health care for herself and her children as well as affordable quality childcare and something like 4-6 weeks paid vacation. It would not be the financial nightmare that minimum wage jobs are here in the US. They moved back to the States about 10 years ago because her husband had a fantastic job offer, but until the ACA passed they were planning to move back to Europe when one of their children graduated from college. That child has serious health problems and she did not want to risk her child not being able to get health insurance due to pre-existing conditions.

Old 04-17-2015, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
People all over the world want their cars, I don't think it's a Yinzer thing.

What's the percentage of people in this country that can afford a car, but choose not to own one? I would bet that percentage is quite small.
Except in places like Manhattan and SF where owning a car is a royal pain. Garage space is rare and expensive, parking is a nightmare as is the traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh