Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 06:23 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Yinzers HATE Progressive change (Bike Lanes anyone).... Tons of Transplants moving to the Burgh will undoubtedly force it to CHANGE! Oh and they continue to drive up Rents..but that something everyone hates.

Hence my title

The transplants aren't moving out to Shaler, or Kennedy, or East Deer or Lincoln Place.

They'll be a place in the region for the old-timers, even if the transplants succeed in transforming the center of the city into something else.

Old 04-24-2015, 06:34 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,041 times
Brooklynites are more than welcome here. Just leave Park Slope where it is. We don't want it.

Heck, you can even bring the Nets if you want.

Old 04-24-2015, 06:34 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,599,049 times
Transplant here...I think our neighbors are glad we're here. Plenty of empty houses need filling in this area, and there is a lot of North side love to go around. Nobody wants the rents to go up, but that's better than blight, and since most people around here own their homes they tend to see the positive side of rising property values. Our street is full of real yinzers -- by which I simply mean people who call us "yinz" -- and they have been 100% welcoming from day one.

And yeah, I actually do have friends in Brooklyn who are seriously contemplating moving over here, so I might just send them this article, too.

Old 04-24-2015, 06:38 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,097,165 times
Quote:
Yinzers HATE Progressive change (Bike Lanes anyone).... Tons of Transplants moving to the Burgh will undoubtedly force it to CHANGE! Oh and they continue to drive up Rents..but that something everyone hates.

Hence my title
Well, this Yinzer welcomes bike lanes, and since I'm in rental property, rents can't go up fast enough. While I don't want to see Pittsburgh become too progressive (I hate extremist) I decided to put myself into a position to make money off of the newcomers, so I hope they come.

Old 04-24-2015, 06:48 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,895,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
I thought you'd mention cashless bus too. That thread opened my eyes to local, intransigent thinking.
That too..... That's always been my definition of a "Yinzer", Non-Evolving Locals... They hate anything that interrupts their daily routine, even if its for the better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkTransplant View Post
Transplant here...I think our neighbors are glad we're here. Plenty of empty houses need filling in this area, and there is a lot of North side love to go around. Nobody wants the rents to go up, but that's better than blight, and since most people around here own their homes they tend to see the positive side of rising property values. Our street is full of real yinzers -- by which I simply mean people who call us "yinz" -- and they have been 100% welcoming from day one.

And yeah, I actually do have friends in Brooklyn who are seriously contemplating moving over here, so I might just send them this article, too.
All it takes is that Grass Roots word of mouth to start a movement, then the movement turns into a fierce wave of Transplant change... Its the same thing that happened to Manhattan which then spilled over into BK. Portland can't seem to stop the wave, even with it having super high Unemployment, transplants still flock there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Well, this Yinzer welcomes bike lanes, and since I'm in rental property, rents can't go up fast enough. While I don't want to see Pittsburgh become too progressive (I hate extremist) I decided to put myself into a position to make money off of the newcomers, so I hope they come.
Oh they're coming, as they're being priced out of the Coasts, the word of mouth is spreading like wildfire .... Its only Pittsburgh's hollowing out of the massive elderly population that keep a mask on this whole transformation in the official numbers.

Buy more property if you can, and keep buying..... I thinking about purchasing a Condo now, before this sh*t gets too outta control.

Last edited by Blackbeauty212; 04-24-2015 at 06:58 PM..

Old 04-24-2015, 06:53 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,882,782 times
Quote:

Hence my title
Pretty sure there was a big showdown in Williamsburg (Brooklyn) when the proposed bike lanes for that area occurred as well so I don't think it's a Yinzer/Pittsburgh thing.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:02 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,895,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Pretty sure there was a big showdown in Williamsburg (Brooklyn) when the proposed bike lanes for that area occurred as well so I don't think it's a Yinzer/Pittsburgh thing.
Not just about that singular issue, Bike Lane was just used as a current polarizing example that provides a clear juxtaposition.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:02 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Native Brooklynite Mike Tyson complained a bit his one-man-show on HBO about newcomers coming in and ruining the vibe of Brownsville, NY, his hometown.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:28 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,599,049 times
Does nobody else remember this uproar in NYC? Bike irritation is not just a Pgh thing.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/15/ny...ears.html?_r=0

Nobody really likes progressive change when it actually happens, sort of like nobody really likes eating their vegetables. Eventually you realize you pretty much have to do it, because for one reason or another a healthier city/body/planet has its rewards.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:30 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,243,623 times
Quote:
All it takes is that Grass Roots word of mouth to start a movement, then the movement turns into a fierce wave of Transplant change... Its the same thing that happened to Manhattan which then spilled over into BK. Portland can't seem to stop the wave, even with it having super high Unemployment, transplants still flock there.
I think places reach a tipping point where a trickle turns to a wave, and I suspect Pittsburgh is right at that point just now. We were in the PNW and saw it happen to Portland in the late 2000's-ish, and now in the last 3 years Seattle, where the tech boom has become tidal wave like. It's not on that scale here yet, but it just might be in 5 years. Don't underestimate the ability of one of the world's best Computer Science and Engineering schools to drive an economy once a critical mass is reached.

Heard of Stanford?

Last edited by gortonator; 04-24-2015 at 08:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh