Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 12:25 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,599,049 times

Advertisements

And by the way, I hate threads like this. Too much pessimism about the city, mostly coming from people who don't actually live in it. I mostly just post about my own experiences, and then get reminded that the Cranberry crowd thinks I am from Mars (the planet, not the 'burb, of course.)

Old 04-25-2015, 12:36 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,895,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I always find it interesting that the worst offenders of labeling or trying to label (generalize) a sub group are those of another sub group. Of course this in itself is a generalization.

Anyway, the title of this thread is a joke as if "yinzers" are all alike. It would be the same as saying blacks and gays are all alike. Just another grouping of people and showing an ugly prejudice towards them. Kind of sad really. Whatever. Just enjoy your little thread. It has no meaning the way it was presented. I could help you in your presentation skills if you like Blackbeauty. Maybe just post the article and let people make their own interpretation of it instead of bringing some subgroup into it making them out to be some dumbed down cave people. Or perhaps just give your OWN take on it. It sure would have been more classy, but I digress.
I would say you're the one that needs some help, you keep equating "Yinzers" to that of Race, Ethnicities, Sexual Orientation....

ONE LAST TIME... A "Yinzer" is NOT exclusive to "WHITE PEOPLE FROM PITTSBURGH" it is NOT a Race, Ethnicity, Religion or Orientation .... Get that through your skull... "Yinzers" is a mindset, a state of being.....

Old 04-25-2015, 12:52 PM

1,519 posts, read 2,675,395 times
It's classism. It's stereotyping blue collar folks. Pure and simple. Classism.

Old 04-25-2015, 01:06 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,945,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkTransplant View Post
And by the way, I hate threads like this. Too much pessimism about the city, mostly coming from people who don't actually live in it. I mostly just post about my own experiences, and then get reminded that the Cranberry crowd thinks I am from Mars (the planet, not the 'burb, of course.)
Well said. And of course those same people are going to go into a defensive posture if you suggest they aren't part of Pittsburgh. Whatever.

Old 04-25-2015, 01:25 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,204,248 times
The Cranberry talk comes from mostly all city/Allegheny county folks that have never even been here, but resent those that choose to get more for less. On the bright side, all of the publicity is more great hype for people to move here. New construction can't be built fast enough.

Old 04-25-2015, 01:35 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,945,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
The Cranberry talk comes from mostly all city/Allegheny county folks that have never even been here, but resent those that choose to get more for less. On the bright side, all of the publicity is more great hype for people to move here. New construction can't be built fast enough.
When the Story Tells the Numbers | Belt Magazine | Dispatches From The Rust Belt

Applies pretty well here, of course...

Old 04-25-2015, 01:35 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,543,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkTransplant View Post
I don't imagine it; I see it. I live in the city and I am seeing Deutschtown come back to life. I also read the article, which talked about people moving to Troy Hill. I can only really comment on my own neighborhood, but where I am things are extremely positive, as places like Spring Garden and Millvale have fewer shells and more families coming in all the time.

Suburbs will do what they do, but honestly my generation (the under-40 homeowners that I know, anyway) just don't care about suburbia. Too white, too sheltered, and too remote for my crowd, anyway. Sorry.
Migrants from larger, more expensive cities have more money than gentrifiers. They might become flippers of those properties, though.

Old 04-25-2015, 01:39 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,204,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
There's at least 2 recent posters who were on here looking for info that moved to this area. Land to the north is being bought and the sprawl will continue to make its way. If we could get an hov lane to reach out here we could be in town in 15 minutes rather than 25.

Old 04-25-2015, 01:42 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,895,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinare View Post
It's classism. It's stereotyping blue collar folks. Pure and simple. Classism.
Sorry, wrong, try again.

Old 04-25-2015, 02:11 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,917,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Sorry, wrong, try again.
It’s a mindset and a state of being that is often described as being backwards looking, low class, and afraid of change. For example, using a completely acceptable form of payment on a bus that just happens to not be what one thinks the other should use.

It’s a negative term when most people use it, no matter how you look at it.

If a doctor gets on a bus and pays in nickels I doubt they would be referred to as a yinzer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh