Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 06:17 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,632,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
I come here for the booze and the broads. Still can't believe Hopes left me.
Poor baby. So sorry.

Old 04-29-2015, 03:55 PM

432 posts, read 357,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
Crap - I didn't realize you were that smart. I'm always terrified of psychologists and people with those 3 letters after their name
What does PhD stand for anyway?
Pittsburgh Defender. (They're like the Justice League n'at.) Never fear, charisb is here! (Now, how does that make you feel? )

Old 04-29-2015, 08:01 PM

440 posts, read 547,762 times
Sorry this post created a little drama... I left for a while and came back little rusty on checking up.. Do appreciate all the feedback..

I have to the say this quote imho sums up a huge amount of people who left... ( Not all and Pittsburgh still has a ways to go on lot of fronts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelers1523 View Post
I think there are some people who move and think they are better than people who have stayed. Then there are also some people who look at people who leave and feel betrayed or something. At the end of the day there is a huge world out there and everyone needs to go to the place that works best for them.
Just seems with this new found "stardom" out of towners are more enthuasic than some of the current or formal residents. Yes, this a blanket statment , but just seems to no matter teh amount of progress the past still is fogging up view points...

Old 04-29-2015, 08:05 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,103,789 times
Yeah, the "betrayal" dealio mentioned in that quoted statement is a definite. Many feel that because they live there and it works for them that everyone should live there. Then again, many of those same people haven't lived or been other places people would rather live.

Old 05-03-2015, 11:29 AM

432 posts, read 357,544 times
Apologies for my off-topic previous post on this thread. As a recent immigrant to Pittsburgh who's lived in such popular cities as Seattle and San Diego, so far I'm liking Pittsburgh very much. But I suppose somebody who grows up in a place will always have a unique emotional perspective about it.

Old 05-05-2015, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pughnose View Post
Apologies for my off-topic previous post on this thread. As a recent immigrant to Pittsburgh who's lived in such popular cities as Seattle and San Diego, so far I'm liking Pittsburgh very much. But I suppose somebody who grows up in a place will always have a unique emotional perspective about it.

Really happy you like the city, especially coming from those previous locations.. Depending how recent you moved here , this city has changed a lot , physically and mentally, in last decade-- even more so in the last 5 years.. Just seems new comers are more perceptive than previous native residents. Just seems will always have some with the mentality of well " its good for Pittsburgh" or yea its ok but "its not as good as __________" ...

Old 05-05-2015, 02:25 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,938,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie6 View Post
Really happy you like the city, especially coming from those previous locations.. Depending how recent you moved here , this city has changed a lot , physically and mentally, in last decade-- even more so in the last 5 years.. Just seems new comers are more perceptive than previous native residents. Just seems will always have some with the mentality of well " its good for Pittsburgh" or yea its ok but "its not as good as __________" ...
Many of the people you are talking about did live through some hard times here in the city. It's not just the last decade that things have changed a lot. They changed a lot from the 60's to the 70's.... the 70's to the 80's... and the 80's to the 90's... JUST as much as they've changed over the last ten years. Since I've moved here in the 80's it has always been transplants who have been most bullish on Pittsburgh... me included. Natives (and obviously those who moved away especially) have always dragged it through the mud, but you have to understand just how shattered people were here during the 70's to understand that whole mentality. Those folks will not be around forever. And as they move away (or die off) the collective self-esteem is likely to rise here in the Burgh.

Old 05-06-2015, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
Many of the people you are talking about did live through some hard times here in the city. It's not just the last decade that things have changed a lot. They changed a lot from the 60's to the 70's.... the 70's to the 80's... and the 80's to the 90's... JUST as much as they've changed over the last ten years. Since I've moved here in the 80's it has always been transplants who have been most bullish on Pittsburgh... me included. Natives (and obviously those who moved away especially) have always dragged it through the mud, but you have to understand just how shattered people were here during the 70's to understand that whole mentality. Those folks will not be around forever. And as they move away (or die off) the collective self-esteem is likely to rise here in the Burgh.
Very well put...

Old 05-11-2015, 11:25 PM

781 posts, read 1,615,570 times
I lived in Pittsburgh from 2007-2013. I found most people to be kind, I loved going to Pirates games, museums & plays, it was a much nicer city than I expected.

However, it has a grit, or a hard shell that is hard to describe or get used to. I am back in Chicago, although I don't miss Pittsburgh, however, I speak highly of it.

My son described Pittsburgh as a Tim Burton movie; It's always dark, rainy and crooked.

That summed it up for me.

Old 05-12-2015, 04:28 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,873,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie6 View Post
It is frustrating being one of those residents who has lived here through the changes of the last 5+ years. When I came in the late 2000s, there was so much excitement for the future in the city. A person on a decent budget could live in the "cool" neighborhoods. There was progressive talk about the possible changes Pittsburgh would be undertaking. The city was electric. Jump ahead and Pittsburgh has become the standard Hipster Paradise of haves and have nots. Talk of future development has died off and the suburbs are growing. The excitement for the potential of Pittsburgh is gone and has been replaced by the status quo of the 'getting through the day' zombie mentality.

It still amazes me the number of newbies who post in this forum looking for a 2 bedroom in a hot neighborhood for $500 a month. I guess those top 10 MSNBC articles never die.

I'm starting to believe that when Bob O'Connor died, the dreams died with him. The buzz was around the first couple years with Ravenstahl but fizzled out soon afterwards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh