Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 09:39 AM

338 posts, read 557,326 times

Advertisements

Hoping to visit Pittsburgh in a couple of weeks. Are there any good hiking trails not too far away from the city? Is the zoo undergoing a renovation now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 09:55 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,350,054 times
How far are you willing to venture out of town? There are some great trails in the region.

One of my favorites is McConnells Mill State park. Some if its trails are part of the North Country Trail:
PA*DCNR*-*McConnells Mill State Park

I find myself at Raccoon Creek State Park about once a week this time of year. Not as scenic but still fun. Pretty convenient if you're going to be going through the Airport.
PA*DCNR*-*Raccoon Creek State Park

There is lots to do in the East and South too--I'm not that familiar though and I'll leave it to someone else.

If you're interested in the Zoo, then maybe check out the Pittsburgh Aviary and the Phipps Conservatory.
The National Aviary - The Nation's Premier Bird Zoo

https://phipps.conservatory.org/

I'd add a trip to see a baseball game too, but that might or might not be down your alley . . .

Old 04-30-2015, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
How far are you willing to venture out of town? There are some great trails in the region.

One of my favorites is McConnells Mill State park. Some if its trails are part of the North Country Trail:
PA*DCNR*-*McConnells Mill State Park

How far is this trail from University of Pittsburgh? Is it closer from Ikea area or from Monroeville area?

Old 04-30-2015, 10:41 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,350,054 times
It's a ways actually--maybe an hour north of the city. If you're spending most of your time around Pitt though, I'd check out Schenley Park and Frick Park in the city near by.

Old 04-30-2015, 12:45 PM

6,600 posts, read 8,931,563 times
I second the idea to walk around Schenley and Frick Parks since you'll be in that area anyway. Some of the trails feel quite woodsy and secluded despite being in such an urban area.

Old 04-30-2015, 01:42 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,576,509 times
Close to Pitt.

Schenley and Frick parks are great. Phipps conservatory is kinda like going for a hike indoors through a Forrest that changes climate zones every so often.

Do visit the dinosaurs at the Carnegie museum.

I have not been to the Zoo yet this year so I'm not sure what is being done work wise, but it also will get you a lot of walking that is enjoyable.

You can also tour the Cathedral of learning's nationality rooms.

Get a bus down town and ride the incline to get an awesome view of the city.

I have yet to visit the Aviary but hear it is worth a trip.

The Carnegie science center is fun and educational and a Omnimax movie is worth the cost.

I hear the mattress factory is cool.

About 20 miles south of the city, in Bridgeville (25 minute drive if traffic is light) you can rent a horse for a great trail ride int he woods and fields at Rolling Hills Ranch. You can see the tops of the buildings in Pittsburgh from List Hill on a clear day.

Old 04-30-2015, 04:32 PM

I won't be spending time around Pitt, I just know where this area is. I will be spending time near the mall that has Ikea and Monroeville.

Old 04-30-2015, 05:26 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,278,564 times
Ikea and Monroeville are fairly far apart. Why don't you check Google maps for these places and for the McConnell's Mill/other hiking locations.

Old 04-30-2015, 06:35 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,629,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deskjockey View Post
I won't be spending time around Pitt, I just know where this area is. I will be spending time near the mall that has Ikea and Monroeville.
Robinson Mall is where Ikea is located. It's not far from the west side of Pittsburgh.

Old 04-30-2015, 06:43 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,217,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deskjockey View Post
Hoping to visit Pittsburgh in a couple of weeks. Are there any good hiking trails not too far away from the city? Is the zoo undergoing a renovation now?
How about hiking right in the city, in Frick Park?

The late industrialist donated his backyard to the city of Pittsburgh in his will, and its open to the public.

http://www.pittsburghparks.org/userdocs/frickmap.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh