Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 06:58 AM

1,284 posts, read 1,261,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I'm pretty sure the OP wanted input from people who currently live in Pittsburgh in order to ascertain as to whether one could truly live on salaries that would be considered lower-middle-class by American standards.

I can safely assert that it's possible to live comfortably here alone if you're making $30,000/year-$35,000/year if you have limited debt obligations and have either a cheap studio/1-BR in an unfashionable part of town or split the rent/utilities with a roommate.

The fact that PreservationPioneer bought a home in Stowe Township debt-free several years ago while making (presumably) a salary in the high-$20k range at the time is something unheard of in most other parts of the country.

Rents in the urban core (i.e. neighborhoods contiguous with Downtown and Oakland) are escalating to the point where only the upper-middle-class will be able to afford to live here in a decade without a roommate. With that being said the vast majority of both the city and region outside that rapidly-gentrifying urban core will remain affordable for the lower-middle-class for at least a few more decades.
Oops. Sorry for That! Did not see that this threat was posted in the Pittsburgh forum

Kindly ignore what I wrote lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 07:17 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiannon67 View Post
Oops. Sorry for That! Did not see that this threat was posted in the Pittsburgh forum

Kindly ignore what I wrote lol
It's all good! Feel free to contribute to our sub-forum! It's just this topic in particular was for the OP to gauge if someone who isn't a Google employee pulling in an $80,000 salary could really afford to live comfortably in the city. Yes, they can.

My partner was living in Shadyside, a high-brow neighborhood, several years ago by splitting a ~$1,350/month rental several ways. If you get enough cohabitants you can even live in Manhattan on $25,000/year, as long as you don't mind sharing the living room futon with a stranger and have six people using the same bathroom.

Old 05-02-2015, 01:23 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,945,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1219 View Post
Yeah absolutely. I think it's probably just human nature to always want the "next model up."
It may be the nature of Americans... but most of the world doesn't waste a lot of time thinking about that.

Old 05-02-2015, 01:41 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
It may be the nature of Americans... but most of the world doesn't waste a lot of time thinking about that.
It's the nature of people living in developed and prosperous nations.

Old 05-02-2015, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
It's the nature of people living in developed and prosperous nations.
I don't know. Have you visited them all? Do you know for sure, like, people in Denmark and Sweden and the Netherlands and France and... you get my point, right? This seems like a sweeping generalization to me.

I'm also speaking from personal experience. I regularly forgo getting the "next higher model", although I could quite easily afford it. It has also been known as an "old money" trait to show a bit of restraint when it comes to spending one's wealth... NOTE: Not that I'm saying I'm Old Money. I'm just...money.

Anyway, I'm not convinced.

Last edited by Merge; 05-02-2015 at 02:21 PM..

Old 05-02-2015, 02:42 PM

Quote:
I don't know. Have you visited them all? Do you know for sure, like, people in Denmark and Sweden and the Netherlands and France and... you get my point, right? This seems like a sweeping generalization to me.
After base necessities are covered, people spend marginally more money on material goods as their disposable income increases. Your "point" is a conclusory assertion that sets out to prove a negative. Show me actual statistics that Europeans are less materialistic than Americans, and I'll be convinced that my "sweeping generalization" is just that.

Quote:
I'm also speaking from personal experience. I regularly forgo getting the "next higher model", although I could quite easily afford it. It has also been known as an "old money" trait to show a bit of restraint when it comes to spending one's wealth...
Nor is my statement synonymous with blind materialism. I've been told I have "old money" tastes, as well (which people intend as a complement but I see as downright insulting, and in some cases subtly anti-Semitic). However, I know for a fact that next year, when I'll be making double my current salary, I'm bound to spend more cash on luxuries. That won't be the case for all, or even most, of that money, which will be saved and invested. But if I can afford an intermediate golf or country club membership, I'm going to get one. I love the game, and the several thousand dollars a year will be well worth it commensurate to my salary increase (and that's not getting into the fact that clubs are great for networking, getting clients, making business connections, etc.).

Quote:
NOTE: Not that I'm saying I'm Old Money. I'm just...money.
I couldn't be happier for you.

Quote:
Anyway, I'm not convinced.
Nor am I. I would actually be interested in seeing the data if you can find it (a cursory search didn't yield much).

Here's one study from the 1980s (examining Germany, England, France, Turkey, and the US). Only Germany had a significantly lower aggregate materialism score than the US (and just barely):

Here's the rest of the study:
http://www.acrwebsite.org/volumes/70...umes/v17/NA-17

Last edited by ElijahAstin; 05-02-2015 at 03:06 PM..

Old 05-02-2015, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
After base necessities are covered, people spend marginally more money on material goods as their disposable income increases. Your "point" is a conclusory assertion that sets out to prove a negative. Show me actual statistics that Europeans are less materialistic than Americans, and I'll be convinced that my "sweeping generalization" is just that.

Nor is my statement synonymous with blind materialism. I've been told I have "old money" tastes, as well (which people intend as a complement but I see as downright insulting, and in some cases subtly anti-Semitic). However, I know for a fact that next year, when I'll be making double my current salary, I'm bound to spend more cash on luxuries. That won't be the case for all, or even most, of that money, which will be saved and invested. But if I can afford to an intermediate golf of country club membership, I'm going to get one. I love the game, and the several thousand dollars a year will be well worth it commensurate to my salary increase (and that's not getting into the fact that clubs are great for networking, getting clients, making business connections, etc.).

I couldn't be happier for you.

Nor am I. I would actually be interested in seeing the data if you can find it (a cursory search didn't yield much).
I don't think you should mistake anti-douchebag for anti-semitism. But it's your prerogative, I guess.

Old 05-02-2015, 02:59 PM

Quote:
I don't think you should mistake anti-douchebag for anti-semitism. But it's your prerogative, I guess.
I said the old money "complement" is only anti-Semitic in some cases. However, it's a cogent observation because the "flashy, tacky, nouveau riche Jew" trope is alive and well (which is funny because we're simultaneously supposed to be miserly).

"Showier" people aren't necessarily douchebags, either. I've met plenty of nice people who happen to have a lot of things. It's a question of why they have all those things. Wanting something because you want to treat yourself is a lot different from wanting something so you can impress someone else.

Last edited by ElijahAstin; 05-02-2015 at 03:09 PM..

Old 05-02-2015, 06:38 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,243,863 times
this thread was much more fun when we were trying to find out everything about doo dah. And charisb - PhD shrink - must be rolling in the money. Katiana will be here any second now with the average earnings in Pgh for such highly qualified folks, and showing how they are pathetic compared to the rest of the country

I'm not sure about the 'always want more' thing. We're very happy with what we have, and could earn more but this would lead to compromises, like being at work all the time and having less freedom. Work-life balance is important to us and we really don't need super fancy cars/houses.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:16 PM

255 posts, read 284,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
I'm not sure about the 'always want more' thing.
Made me think of this:
Economic problem - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh