Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 01:59 PM

2,401 posts, read 2,099,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
Wow, what a lot of bluster. What's really funny is that there is likely some crusty old man who grew up in Cranberry Township, preparing to write a letter to the Cranberry Eagle complaining about how the invasive hordes of transplants from other places are mucking up the area with their SUVs and traffic congestion and their road rage and sprawl and their strip malls and soccer moms... and meanwhile all he can do is tear up at the memory of swimming in the local watering hole, and running bucolically through the cornfields as a young lad.

Times change. There's no guarantee that the place you live is going to retain the qualities you chose it for. You can spend your time lamenting the past, or you can engage wherever you are in the present.

That's pretty good, I'm sure there's another side to the coin. Not entirely sure if it's located in Cranberry or Warrendale, but a housing development was supposed to have been built in an area where Paleo Indian mounds were located. The mounds have been found all over Western PA, if this is true it's terrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 02:04 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,186,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
That's pretty good, I'm sure there's another side to the coin. Not entirely sure if it's located in Cranberry or Warrendale, but a housing development was supposed to have been built in an area where Paleo Indian mounds were located. The mounds have been found all over Western PA, if this is true it's terrible.
Everyone that has a problem with the sprawl should buy the property they don't want to see changed. Everyone has a right to buy it.

Old 05-05-2015, 02:13 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,144,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclifton View Post
Sorry, if you're too obtuse to follow what you wrote, there's not much else I can do for you.
You are objectively wrong. There is literally no argument about this. He was comparing the potential for crime in Homewood to the potential for road traffic injury in Cranberry. There was no reference to crime in Cranberry, whatsoever, at any point. You are indisputably wrong.

Old 05-05-2015, 02:21 PM

831 posts, read 878,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
You are objectively wrong. There is literally no argument about this. He was comparing the potential for crime in Homewood to the potential for road traffic injury in Cranberry. There was no reference to crime in Cranberry, whatsoever, at any point. You are indisputably wrong.
Really?

this isn't him comparing personal safety in Homewood to Cranberry?

Quote:
I don't even know where to begin with this one. Are you suggesting if you place me on Brushton Ave at 12AM Friday I'm going to witness crime or be the victim of one? If you think this you just may have too active of an imagination. "Hey, look at that lost white man, let's relieve him of some of his belongings". You are aware that the presence of adult white males in black neighborhoods causes the impression that under cover cops are afoot, right? Especially late at night. Now, if I were to walk a poorly lit stretch of some Cranberry road late at night, there would be a chance I'd be struck by a speeding car because there is no sidewalk. I'll take my chances on Brushton.

Old 05-05-2015, 02:25 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,009,810 times
As I see it, he was just saying he thinks the chance of being the victim of a random crime in Homewood is not high enough for him to be worried to go there.

I think the crack about getting killed by a driver in Cranberry was just meant to provoke people into thinking what "safety" really is. Nowhere did he say Homewood was safer than Cranberry, he just said that he'd personally feel safer in Homewood.

Old 05-05-2015, 02:42 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,144,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclifton View Post
Really?

this isn't him comparing personal safety in Homewood to Cranberry?
Hmmm, pretty good attempt to obfuscate your original accusation, but here is what you actually said:

Quote:
If you think that Cranberry has more crime than Homewood Brushto, you're living in a fantasy world.
Yes, it is him comparing personal safety in Homewood to Cranberry -- using two different measures. But that's not what you said. You said that he compared crime. And he clearly did not.

Old 05-05-2015, 02:43 PM

1,106 posts, read 1,162,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
As I see it, he was just saying he thinks the chance of being the victim of a random crime in Homewood is not high enough for him to be worried to go there.

I think the crack about getting killed by a driver in Cranberry was just meant to provoke people into thinking what "safety" really is. Nowhere did he say Homewood was safer than Cranberry, he just said that he'd personally feel safer in Homewood.
This type of reasonableness has no business on this thread.

Old 05-05-2015, 02:43 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,376,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
Wow, what a lot of bluster. What's really funny is that there is likely some crusty old man who grew up in Cranberry Township, preparing to write a letter to the Cranberry Eagle complaining about how the invasive hordes of transplants from other places are mucking up the area with their SUVs and traffic congestion and their road rage and sprawl and their strip malls and soccer moms... and meanwhile all he can do is tear up at the memory of swimming in the local watering hole, and running bucolically through the cornfields as a young lad.

Times change. There's no guarantee that the place you live is going to retain the qualities you chose it for. You can spend your time lamenting the past, or you can engage wherever you are in the present.
Isn't he from Marshall-Shadeland & moved to Cranberry? I mean Horrance Man & Shadeland Avenue were in the article & he alluded to Young Field & Washburn Square Park right?

Old 05-05-2015, 02:49 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,944,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
Isn't he from Marshall-Shadeland & moved to Cranberry? I mean Horrance Man & Shadeland Avenue were in the article & he alluded to Young Field & Washburn Square Park right?
Yes.

Old 05-05-2015, 02:49 PM

814 posts, read 1,149,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
I think Merge is imagining that a totally different person is crankily complaining about how Cranberry "used to be" to make the point that everywhere changes over time and nostalgia makes fools of us all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh