Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 08:50 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,644,131 times

Advertisements

I'm guessing that I'm not the only one on this forum who regularly checks local real estate listings even though I'm not in the market for a home, right? With that in mind, I give you my latest dream home. If I was looking to buy, this one would be a serious contender. 1302 Singer Place - Property Details
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2015, 08:59 AM

3,595 posts, read 3,389,024 times
That house would come with a bad tax bill, around $400 a month.

Old 05-25-2015, 09:04 AM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
While I also check out the listings, Goodjules, my addiction is floor plans (especially for converted buildings!).

Old 05-25-2015, 09:15 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,091,748 times
I like to look at real estate in other countries! Yesterday I found an apartment in Paris, practically under the Eiffel Tower, for €20,000 per MONTH!

Old 05-25-2015, 09:24 AM

6,357 posts, read 5,050,411 times
Not MY dream house, but it is beautiful - a lot of character, some added security (with the vestibule, if that is what its called), and the brick is a beautiful color. Seems like there is shade there, too - that is the one I found online in Shadyside, correct?

Egads, though - would you leave the frontage as is, or cut away a bit at the tree canopy? I do like some visibility. Still, you have good taste!

Old 05-25-2015, 10:05 AM

12,390 posts, read 7,092,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodjules View Post
I'm guessing that I'm not the only one on this forum who regularly checks local real estate listings even though I'm not in the market for a home, right? With that in mind, I give you my latest dream home. If I was looking to buy, this one would be a serious contender. 1302 Singer Place - Property Details
I love the bowed window, and the old kitchen in that place.

I had a friend that grow up in that neighborhood (on Wood St.). His families house was similar to the one on Singer. The homes in that area where really something special when they were built.

Old 05-25-2015, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
That house would come with a bad tax bill, around $400 a month.
That's about what I pay now in Crafton, although my house is assessed at a lot more than this one is selling for! According to the real estate listing the taxes are $1213 a year, but I suppose that's based on an earlier assessment. I'm not sure if the real estate listing includes both county and school district property taxes. That number may only be county taxes. I went to the Wilkinsburg Vacant Home Tour and attended a workshop on buying property in the borough. There are some abatement programs, but I think they're only for homes that are abandoned and need a lot of work. I don't have my notes handy and I don't remember the exact details.

Old 05-25-2015, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
Not MY dream house, but it is beautiful - a lot of character, some added security (with the vestibule, if that is what its called), and the brick is a beautiful color. Seems like there is shade there, too - that is the one I found online in Shadyside, correct?

Egads, though - would you leave the frontage as is, or cut away a bit at the tree canopy? I do like some visibility. Still, you have good taste!
Hadn't thought it through to consider landscaping. I do love shade. I believe the home is in Wilkinsburg, not Shadyside. I went to that street during the Vacant Home Tour. The street was nice with many well kept homes. Not nearly as many abandoned homes as other streets in the area.

Old 05-25-2015, 12:20 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,031,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodjules View Post
Hadn't thought it through to consider landscaping. I do love shade. I believe the home is in Wilkinsburg, not Shadyside. I went to that street during the Vacant Home Tour. The street was nice with many well kept homes. Not nearly as many abandoned homes as other streets in the area.
You'd still be an urban pioneer in that area of Wilkinsburg, which I approve of.

Old 05-25-2015, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreservationPioneer View Post
You'd still be an urban pioneer in that area of Wilkinsburg, which I approve of.
Yes, but I already have a house and no desire to move again anytime soon. Maybe I should become a landlord? Ugh, but I have no desire to be a landlord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh