Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 09:49 AM

3 posts, read 12,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbucci24 View Post

The top 6 schools in the south hills by order in my opinion are:
Mt. Lebanon- insanely expensive property taxes
Upper St. Clair- huge school, nice and new
Bethal park- most well rounded school with most activities
Thomas Jefferson- older school but good sports and academic programs
Baldwin- probably the biggest school on here and most diverse
Tie between South Park and Elizabeth Forward- smaller school but still pretty good
You forgot South Fayette, which was recently rated as the best school district in Western PA. SF is a bit west of South Park/Bethel Park, located near the borough of Bridgeville, PA on a map. I-79 divides SF in two. Many of the newer homes in South Fayette are McMansions, with McMansion prices, but you can find plenty of smaller, older homes near the $140K price point mentioned.

The location of I-79 makes South Fayette fairly convenient to reach. The rush hour commute to Pittsburgh typically falls around 45-50 minutes. Outside of Rush Hour, I can reach downtown in about 20 minutes from my house in SF. If you prefer light rail for commuting, you have to drive about 15-20 minutes to reach an station or you could catch a bus into town at a Park and Ride lot located in the community.

In terms of sports, SF High School has a winning tradition in football and basketball. Hockey is still a club sport, but with the proliferation of hockey rinks in the area, there are plenty of clubs to choose from. Lacrosse is catching on, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 09:58 AM

154 posts, read 179,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
Not sure about Mt. Lebanon but it is a municipal rink. I heard a few years ago they had cuts for mite hockey.
For standard house leagues, or for their travel team?

Old 06-02-2015, 10:23 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,526,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlbraves49 View Post
For standard house leagues, or for their travel team?
House league.

Around here teams don't have cuts for Mites/ADM even if the kids aren't the greatest skaters/players. So, when a friend told me that her kid got "cut" as a 6 year old I was surprised. This was a 3 years ago so maybe it has changed.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
House league.

Around here teams don't have cuts for Mites/ADM even if the kids aren't the greatest skaters/players. So, when a friend told me that her kid got "cut" as a 6 year old I was surprised. This was a 3 years ago so maybe it has changed.
Yeah that's surprising to me. Are there boundaries for hockey house leagues, like how little league baseball leagues usually have residence boundaries? Or can you live near one rink but play at another?

Old 06-02-2015, 10:59 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,526,102 times
Quote:
Yeah that's surprising to me. Are there boundaries for hockey house leagues, like how little league baseball leagues usually have residence boundaries? Or can you live near one rink but play at another?
No boundaries. Our kids teams have players from all over. Not sure about Mt. Lebanon though since it is at a municipal rink.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:15 PM

56 posts, read 62,781 times
In Pittsburgh you can play for any "pay" team no matter where you live. Mite all the way up to Midget AAA. You do have to MAKE these teams. I dont know how it is with mites or beginners though.

With HS hockey you must live in that district to play. No hockey I know of (short of Minnesota) is a school sponsored Varsity sport, but most programs are recognized by the school and you get a varsity letter for playing it if you make the team. Also, depending on the level of the club and money behind it.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:17 PM

Quote:
In Pittsburgh you can play for any "pay" team no matter where you live. Mite all the way up to Midget AAA. You do have to MAKE these teams. I dont know how it is with mites or beginners though.

With HS hockey you must live in that district to play. No hockey I know of (short of Minnesota) is a school sponsored Varsity sport, but most programs are recognized by the school and you get a varsity letter for playing it if you make the team. Also, depending on the level of the club and money behind it.
That's interesting (regarding high school Varsity); I know NY high schools have their own Varsity teams (we had one). Surprised Pennsylvania doesn't.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:41 PM

56 posts, read 62,781 times
Quote:
That's interesting (regarding high school Varsity); I know NY high schools have their own Varsity teams (we had one). Surprised Pennsylvania doesn't.

It depends here. HS hockey is a Varsity sport, but is not paid for by your school and the taxes you pay to the district. Its a separate cost that often gets offset by fundraisers or volunteer work by your parents at venues.Some of the bigger schools that have the "better" programs often have little cost to them because the school helps out because if they are good its recognition for the school. Its still "associated" by the school. Meaning they will provide buses to away game if necessary, you get a varsity letter and ect. Now if its a private school and they have hockey, then hockey is covered under the tuition and is no cost.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:53 AM

86 posts, read 96,421 times
Quote:
It depends here. HS hockey is a Varsity sport, but is not paid for by your school and the taxes you pay to the district. Its a separate cost that often gets offset by fundraisers or volunteer work by your parents at venues.Some of the bigger schools that have the "better" programs often have little cost to them because the school helps out because if they are good its recognition for the school. Its still "associated" by the school. Meaning they will provide buses to away game if necessary, you get a varsity letter and ect. Now if its a private school and they have hockey, then hockey is covered under the tuition and is no cost.
What school (or schools?) are you referring to with the bolded? And what's your definition of "little cost"?

Not being a ass, but I've never heard this stated before about any school in this area and was surprised to hear it.

Old 06-03-2015, 11:02 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,779,329 times
Can anyone tell me why all the houses in the area have concrete driveways? Over here in NJ they are all asphalt. Just curious as to why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh