U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 01:32 AM

13,389 posts, read 18,898,515 times

Advertisements

According to CareerBuilder, only 57.1% of all new jobs created in the Pittsburgh MSA since 2010 pay a "living wage."

Of course, that's the fourth-highest percentage of all metropolitan areas with at least 1,000,000 population.

Here's the list of the nine major metropolitan areas with at least half of all new jobs created since 2010 paying a living wage:

64.2% - Detroit
60.2% - Seattle
59.3% - San Jose
57.1% - Pittsburgh
52.3% - Rochester
51.4% - Minneapolis/St. Paul
50.8% - Denver
50.8% - Kansas City
50.4% - Cleveland

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 06:55 AM

31,199 posts, read 69,432,101 times
I appreciate how you and all the other "boosters" put a positive spin on anything and everything, but what about the 42.9% of new jobs NOT paying a "living wage" here in Pittsburgh? My partner and I each have one of these, and there's not much better out there unless you're in health care, education, or IT (and even then I have my doubts given that Aqua Teen Carl, who works in the IT industry, seems to also be in the same boat as me and my partner).

With rents rising rapidly here these days where are these 42.9% of new job-holders supposed to live?

Old 06-02-2015, 07:07 AM

2,942 posts, read 2,263,384 times
Perhaps outside of the East End?

Old 06-02-2015, 07:22 AM

6,065 posts, read 7,550,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
there's not much better out there unless you're in health care, education, or IT
I'm sort of in all three at once. The trick is to buy a house more than ten years ago.

Old 06-02-2015, 07:34 AM

1,183 posts, read 1,888,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
There is currently a 4BR in Troy Hill on Craigslist for $825/mo. So, maybe people can live there, or in any of the other several hundred homes and apartments still available that come out to about $200/person or less.

Housing affordability is a real problem in some areas. It is not yet a citywide epidemic when there are 2BRs available in Knoxville for $395, or a 3BR in Fineview with a deck overlooking the skyline for $1000.

Old 06-02-2015, 07:45 AM

1,560 posts, read 1,312,750 times
Do you WANT to work in healthcare or IT? Because seriously, don't believe the hype, you do not need a graduate degree from Carnegie Mellon to get your foot in the door in IT, and while the pay may be similar to what you're making now for an entry level job, there's promotion options if you apply yourself. If you want to explore options like that, they are available.

Old 06-02-2015, 07:45 AM

733 posts, read 869,081 times
Some of the views from Fineview are...uh, well, really fine. That's not even ironic; it's just accurate.

I would totally trade the climb up Polish Hill for the climb up Fineview, if I was getting a deck with one of those views.

I wouldn't trade the flat street I live one for either climb, though. I don't think I'm quite hardcore enough to bike those everyday.

Old 06-02-2015, 07:54 AM

31,199 posts, read 69,432,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
There is currently a 4BR in Troy Hill on Craigslist for $825/mo. So, maybe people can live there, or in any of the other several hundred homes and apartments still available that come out to about $200/person or less.

Housing affordability is a real problem in some areas. It is not yet a citywide epidemic when there are 2BRs available in Knoxville for $395, or a 3BR in Fineview with a deck overlooking the skyline for $1000.

Today? Yes. Ten years from now? Questionable.

I think what concerns me is that just since moving here in 2010 a lot of formerly "affordable" neighborhoods for those working jobs like the 42.9% of these new jobs being created that don't paying a living wage have dissipated. How many more will be gone by 2020? 2025? To be quite honest I don't see Troy Hill, Brighton Heights, Beechview, and many other areas still being "affordable" by that time, just as how Polish Hill, for example, saw its median rents soar meteorically in just a few years. Bloomfield was cheap in the 2000s, too. It's not anymore. Same with South Side and the Lower North Side. You can only cram so many people into places like Homewood or Knoxville in the coming years, and even then despite the mass abandonment of both neighborhoods I very rarely see many rentals available in either neighborhood on CraigsList.

It seems like the "new normal" is that ~55% of jobs being created nationally pay a living wage or better while ~45% of jobs being crated nationally don't. That's not a very good ratio at all. What that means is that almost half of people landing jobs these days need subsidized housing, and we don't have NEARLY that much to go around.

I'm personally not concerned about myself. I have a plan in place to upright myself financially and to be more successful in the future. What I DO worry about, though, are future generations of lower-middle-class Pittsburghers who will eventually face the same housing prospects as the lower-middle-class of San Francisco or New York City---live in a rooming house or move away entirely?

It seems like society these days is quite selfish. "Well, I GOT MINE, so &@&#&# our posterity's chances". I don't think that way. Sorry.

-Urban sprawl is unsustainable in the long-term; it has led to this being a state of wilderness being raped for McMansions in subdivisions surrounding boroughs and cities emptying out like donut holes.
-Median rents outpacing working-class wage growth is unsustainable in the long-term.
-People using homes as "get rich quick schemes" instead of SHELTER was part of what caused the most recent housing recession in 2007-2008, and we're heading back onto that same path again now that Pittsburgh was called the "Best City for Flippers".

My above sentiments are unpopular on this sub-forum. Too bad. I didn't join to make friends. I joined to have in-depth discussions about matters pertinent to our city. I still love this place. I just worry that ~100% of new residential rental development seems to be upscale-oriented while only just over half of new jobs being created these days pay wages commensurate to afford such upscale rentals. What about everyone else?

If Pittsburgh creates 10,000 new jobs over the next fives years, and only 5,710 of those can be expected to pay a living wage, then where will those taking the other 4,290 jobs be able to live if 42.9% of new rentals coming to the marketplace aren't targeting those who don't make a living wage?

Old 06-02-2015, 08:06 AM

1,859 posts, read 2,218,331 times
There isn't much money in education.

Replace education with banking or finance and I'll listen.

But what everybody else says is spot on. There are 90 neighborhoods in Pittsburgh. Of course 15 of them are going to be expensive or "unaffordable." Yet those are the neighborhoods where houses sell the fastest, even if they are the most expensive areas or houses.

There was a house for 600k on Northumberland St in Sq Hill for sale last week. It had 7 offers and went for well above asking.

There are 128 houses on the market in Sq Hill right now. Half are under contract. Most expensive is 2.2 Million and median asking price is over 400k.

There are 89 houses on the market in Brookline right now. Just under half are under contract. Most expensive is 220k and the median is 99k (very affordable!!!).

There are 56 houses for sale in Sheraden. Over a third are under contract. Most expensive is 219k and median is 63k (super affordable).

There are 47 houses for sale in Brighton Heights. One third are under contract Most expensive for sale is 248k and is under contract. Median price is 109k (very affordable).

I know those are all just numbers and conditions and whatnot may vary, but the numbers are pretty telling.

Yes, there are some neighborhoods where prices are expensive, but they are also the neighborhoods where houses are selling the most often as well as for the most money.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:09 AM

5,895 posts, read 5,965,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
-Urban sprawl is unsustainable in the long-term; it has led to this being a state of wilderness being raped for McMansions in subdivisions surrounding boroughs and cities emptying out like donut holes.
So in the same post you're both arguing that the city is filling up & becoming too expensive to live in & that it is emptying out as people flee to the suburbs. M'Kay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh