Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 11:53 AM

346 posts, read 535,233 times

Advertisements

lol obviously it is up to each and every individual but like I would never "encourage" people to bike to work who aren't experienced with bike riding in this city. I just feel like it's dangerous for your average individual who is only used to biking in a controlled environment. I feel like for example "I" would doing the city as a whole a disservice by biking to work as I would probably cause accidents and traffic issues lol... but I feel like there is this idea that everyone should bike to work so we can be more like places like the Nederlands...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 11:59 AM

2,519 posts, read 2,076,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrn14 View Post
Pittsburgh will never be a bicycle lovers paradise because of the hills. I would never ride a bike to work because I live near Mt. Washington and the hills are both physically intimidating and terrifying. I love biking on a flat surface and if we lived in one of the 85% of flat cities and grid like streets around the country I'm sure i'd be more open to it, but I feel like Pittsburgh is just not made for cycling and I'm ok with that... More power too you if you are a cyclist in the city but I dont' really think it's a realistic idea that the majority of Pittsburghers would or even should be biking to work... because the geography just isn't suited for it.

My two cents.
Ever been to San Francisco? That town is bike crazy. Hills aren't the reason, old school attitudes on the other hand...

Old 06-04-2015, 12:05 PM

346 posts, read 535,233 times
See ... I feel like the negative "old school attitude" moniker is being associated to me because I dont' want to ride to bike from Mt. Washington to Downtown... It's not because of lazniess (i'm a distance runner) or stubborness (openminded) but because of fear... if I changed my "old school attitude" I'd probably hurt myself or someone else..

I will check out the cyclocable thread ... thanks for the heads up.

Old 06-04-2015, 12:08 PM

2,519 posts, read 2,076,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrn14 View Post
See ... I feel like the negative "old school attitude" moniker is being associated to me because I dont' want to ride to bike from Mt. Washington to Downtown... It's not because of lazniess (i'm a distance runner) or stubborness (openminded) but because of fear... if I changed my "old school attitude" I'd probably hurt myself or someone else..

I will check out the cyclocable thread ... thanks for the heads up.
Mt Washington to Town is a pretty doable ride if you have the cardio from distance running. That hard right turn headed up Arlington after Sycamore is my preferred climb to Mt. Washington, long hill but not as steep until the very top.

Old 06-04-2015, 01:54 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,075,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
Mt Washington to Town is a pretty doable ride if you have the cardio from distance running. That hard right turn headed up Arlington after Sycamore is my preferred climb to Mt. Washington, long hill but not as steep until the very top.
Also, you don't even have to climb it, the inclines allow bikes on them.

Old 06-04-2015, 02:12 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,051,069 times
It would be great if all you needed was a simple wheel lock to secure your bike here in the states. Having to lock up your bike to something secure (and hope it's still there when you come back) really makes taking a bike a real hassle.

Old 06-04-2015, 02:28 PM

733 posts, read 982,770 times
stburr91, my main bike is a pricey one, and I've been totally fine locking up my front wheel and fork with a regular U-lock.

I wear a good sized messenger bag everywhere I go, and the lock slides right into one of the pockets, no problem.

Plus, I'd be wearing the bag anyways because I also carry a spare tube/pump, a change of clothes and some food. Sometimes, I'll also have a laptop and hair product/towel in there as well.

Don't tell anyone, but there have probably been 15 or so days over the last couple years where I've forgotten the lock or my keys at home and just let my bike sit in a garage unlocked all day long while I'm at work. Those days are nail-biters, but I've been lucky so far.

Old 06-04-2015, 02:55 PM

6,598 posts, read 8,921,111 times
Quote:
Mt Washington to Town is a pretty doable ride if you have the cardio from distance running.
This sentiment seems really prevalent in the bike commuting community. If someone wants to have their commute double as their gym routine that's fine, but it's not a winning argument with the general public. Bike commutes aren't ever going to become widespread unless there are realistic options for people who are merely in "walking commute" shape.

Ideally a bike commute of 20 minutes shouldn't take much more energy than a walking commute of 20 minutes.

Old 06-04-2015, 03:47 PM

1,776 posts, read 2,687,318 times
Quote:
Ever been to San Francisco? That town is bike crazy. Hills aren't the reason, old school attitudes on the other hand...
Spent the entire winter out there and I can attest to this. Cars treat you like human beings, every road has a bike lane, and everyone uses them.

With that said, much of SF is actually flat, and I had to have the single speed I was using out there re-geared when I brought it back here. Much more difficult terrain. SF proved that with infrastructure changes, you can overcome this, though.

Old 06-04-2015, 04:20 PM

778 posts, read 835,564 times
As said, a lot of sf is flat, and all of Holland is flat. I lived for a while in Cambridge, England, and cycling there is a pleasure. My family and I had no transport but bikes there and it was no problem at all. You didn't arrive to your destination sweating and out of breath, it was the same level of exertion as walking. That would not be the case if I were to bike commute to Oakland from Stanton Heights (though when I used to bike commute from point breeze to Oakland, it was fine, because that ride is mostly pretty flat)

People who bike a lot in Pittsburgh (and I work with several) are extremely fit just all around. Like, the fitness is not a result of biking, they bike because they are already fit. And they belong to gyms and they commute to work with enough time to go to the gym and shower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh