U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 06:21 PM

1,043 posts, read 611,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feanix View Post
I think you will like Penn Hills. A lot of the issues I found myself having revolved around the school district, and then eventually apartment living in Penn Hills. Yes, there is crime in Penn Hills and areas you may not want to hang out in, but if you avoid those areas you'll avoid most issues. There's no place I would have avoided shopping in, or eating out at. So unless you're looking for trouble you likely aren't going to find much looking for you. When I lived in a house there was a bit more separation and thus a lot less issues. The few times I did have an issue it usually involved a house with renters (and everyone had issue with these folks).

BTW I did respond to your thread about the water bills (I just recognized your name). There's a dog park over on Jefferson Road if you ever get that way to check it out. The new library is worth checking out too. While I wouldn't generally encourage someone to buy into Penn Hills, home ownership is a huge upgrade for someone who has been stuck renting, I appreciate that having been in the same position as you recently.

Also there was some discussion about putting up a Wal-Mart just past the Shop N Save in Penn Hills. Don't know if there's been anything happening about that since then. I know on the other side, East Hills, they're looking to develop the old shopping center where Petra Ministries is at, including adding a Wal-Mart as well.

EDIT TO ADD: Oh!!! I forgot to add some of my favorite places from there! Labriola's is a little Italian grocery store worth checking out. Stoecklein's bakery on Saltsburg Road is delicious as well. Cheap chinese food can be found at No 1 Chinese on Frankstown Road (people either love or hate them) and right across the street is Ray Aztecas for excellent Mexican food. Hope you will love them as much as I did!
Thanks for some of the tips. I did happen to notice Ray Azteca one of the times we were in the area recently. We used to live in Portland, OR before moving here, and there was much more variety in good Mexican food that we've been able to find here. So another option will be awesome.

And thank you for your reply in the water bills thread!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 06:23 PM

209 posts, read 252,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
R.I.P. & respect to the deceased if the rumor is true. This recent shooting only adds to the cons of the "Safety in Penn Hills," debate.
Hate to add this, but there's a high probability that there's gonna be a retaliation shooting in the next 48hrs (if the guy was killed). I know Penn Hills riff-raff isn't that bad compared to say Homewood vs. East Hills, or any where near close to being as bad as the Westside of Chicago. Yet IF the man/boy was a thug his friends are probobly gonna "ride" out "hunting" in revenge...
Supposedly he's a white dude and this was about a girl. He's been in trouble in the past, so he's no angel. I can imagine he just was associating with a rougher crowd that put him at risk not that there is likely anything to fear about the situation or future situation.

Until the news says anything more I am taking the info from the rumor mill with a grain of salt.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowmint View Post
Thanks for some of the tips. I did happen to notice Ray Azteca one of the times we were in the area recently. We used to live in Portland, OR before moving here, and there was much more variety in good Mexican food that we've been able to find here. So another option will be awesome.

And thank you for your reply in the water bills thread!
That was one of my husband's biggest complaints (good Mexican food), but he really liked Ray Azteca, especially being able to call/walk-in and order in Spanish. He's a Southern California Mexican, so Pittsburgh just made him feel entirely out of his element. There's also a restaurant a lot of people go on about in Monroeville (name slips my mind), but he didn't think it was nearly as good. Where we live now there is a bigger hispanic community enough so that we can frequent a local Mexican butcher shop and bakery finding all the stuff he loves for a good price (instead of having to rely on marked up prices in 'specialty stores').

Edit to add: Hubby said the Monroeville restaurant was El Campasino. He said, even with those places he didn't have a good tamale again until we moved!

Last edited by feanix; 01-26-2011 at 06:38 PM..

Old 01-26-2011, 06:33 PM

Is the Monroeville one El Campesino? That's where we've been going for our Mexican fix, it's pretty good, and their daily specials are cheap.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowmint View Post
Is the Monroeville one El Campesino? That's where we've been going for our Mexican fix, it's pretty good, and their daily specials are cheap.
LOL! I edited to add the name and when I saved I saw your response. Yep that's the place. We both thought Ray Azteca was better. Give them a try and let me know what you think. They have some good lunch specials.

Plus where they're located was an old Burger King that sat empty for a long time so we always tried to eat/buy in Penn Hills to support the local businesses there.

(And you're welcome!)

Old 01-26-2011, 06:50 PM

Haha, funny coincidence. Alright, we'll definitely look forward to trying out Ray Azteca. Thank you!

Old 01-26-2011, 07:46 PM

Update on the Penn Hills shooting:

Man Found Shot, Killed In Penn Hills - Pittsburgh News Story - WTAE Pittsburgh (http://www.wtae.com/r/26629758/detail.html - broken link)

They confirm he is dead, so far the rumors are true, sadly. Article says he was shot elsewhere and drove there. RIP.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:26 AM

127 posts, read 136,052 times
Since this thread got revived, I’ll throw my two cents in again. Penn Hills right now looks what Wilkinsburg looked like in the 1980’s. So, with the long term Pittsburgh residents that witnessed the downfall of Wilkinsburg seeing this, everyone knows what the writing on the wall is for the future of Penn Hills.

The school district right now is abysmal. They are in debt hundreds of millions and are floating bonds to build new schools? Ridiculous….. According to my teacher friends that teach in the school district, about 70% of the students receive a free or reduced lunch, which gives you an idea about the socio-economic status of these kids’ families. That is REALLY BAD. Also, according to last year’s school district statistics, 18% of the students are classified under Special Ed. With the school district being in shambles, families that would live in Penn Hills long term would not want to move there. I would never send my kid to Penn Hills School District, and I graduated from there! Without these families, businesses will not thrive. Without the businesses, the tax burden falls on to the homeowners to support the municipality. Nobody will move there, pay high taxes, and not get anything out of their neighborhood.

A lot of the housing in Penn Hills is spotty. You have several neighborhoods with the same small cookie-cutter homes all down the street. The infrastructure is older now and all these homes need renovation – but there really is no incentive to remodel and update as you cannot get the money out of your home when it comes time to sell, so a lot of people start neglecting their homes. With having the same identical home up and down the street, there is only so much you can invest into it before you start losing money on it. It’s sort of like owning a townhouse. Also, the overall population of Penn Hills is poorer than what it used to be, so people don’t have the money to invest into their homes anymore.

The black population of Penn Hills is increasing and the schools are now majority black which is scaring a lot of white people out of the municipality. Penn Hills has always had a black population and black neighborhoods, but the problem today compared to 20-30 years ago is that the black neighborhoods are dangerous and there’s a lot of crime spilling over from Homewood and East Hills. Shootings, gangs, drugs, armed robberies, cars stolen, etc. in these areas in the past were virtually non-existent – even though those neighborhoods were always black. Now it’s rampant and it’s spread to many other areas throughout the municipality. It’s a socio-economic thing – not a race thing like a lot of people want to label it.

One of the things that bothers me the most about Penn Hills is that it is no longer a convenient area to live in. You have to do all of your shopping outside of the municipality as all of the community’s stores have gone out of business. No longer are there any corner pharmacies, grocery stores, etc. All have been replaced with cigarette outlets, bars, or other low class establishments, or have been closed for good. Penn Hills by no means is any Homewood or East Hills. You are perfectly fine driving through all parts of Penn Hills during the day, but I would not want to be driving around, or walking the streets of Lincoln Park or Long Vue Manor at night.

I keep hoping that positive change will come to Penn Hills, but realistically, I do not see that happening at all. What is sad for me about Penn Hills is every commercial establishment that I frequented while growing up in Penn Hills is gone and there’s nothing to identify with anymore. Now that the high school is going to be demolished, and the house that I grew up in is now abandoned, it’s like my old neighborhood has been entirely erased.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:40 AM

10,746 posts, read 6,680,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennHillsNative80 View Post
One of the things that bothers me the most about Penn Hills is that it is no longer a convenient area to live in. You have to do all of your shopping outside of the municipality as all of the community’s stores have gone out of business. No longer are there any corner pharmacies, grocery stores, etc. All have been replaced with cigarette outlets, bars, or other low class establishments, or have been closed for good. Penn Hills by no means is any Homewood or East Hills. You are perfectly fine driving through all parts of Penn Hills during the day, but I would not want to be driving around, or walking the streets of Lincoln Park or Long Vue Manor at night.
Isn't Shop and Save still there off Universal? Giant Eagle on Rodi? Tons of restaurants. Community Market on Hulton? Seems to me there are plenty of shopping areas.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:47 AM

275 posts, read 360,761 times
There are plenty of places to shop in Penn Hills. It is a very large community. I agree it is going thru changes, but so are many other communities, like monroeville. The challenge is to maintain a standard and often that falls on the school districts to hold the line on behavior and academics. Also, for local government to enforce coes, and local police patrol and not just respond to crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh