Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 06:32 AM

831 posts, read 878,923 times

Advertisements

Along with reports of the death of malls

Mall's Washed Up? Not Quite Yet - The Daily Beast

Quote:
The notion of dead malls has been connected to a similar idea about the inevitable demise of the suburbs, which appeared possible at the height of the recession, but has since been shown to be largely false. Suburbs may not be booming as in the ’90s, but they are now growing as fast as core cities, and constitute more than 70 percent of all new population and 80 percent of new job growth since 2010.

Surprisingly, the most recent numbers suggest that the outer suburbs and exurbs, once consigned to Hades by the new urbanist crowd, have begun to roar back. Millennials, as they get older, notes Jed Kolko, now seem to be moving to what he calls “the suburbiest” areas farther out on the periphery.

It is in these areas that malls may have their greatest future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 06:43 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Pittsburgh? The daily beast?

Old 06-08-2015, 06:55 AM

2,218 posts, read 1,945,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclifton View Post
Along with reports of the death of malls

Mall's Washed Up? Not Quite Yet - The Daily Beast

If you actually read the article and click on the links (written by a "scholar" from the exclusive Ivory Towers at Chapman Christian College in Orange, CA), you'll notice quite quickly that it's not the malls in the suburbs or exurbs that are doing well, but the high-end ones that are attached to the biggest cities in the US that are thriving. The links also point out that the "last frontier" for high-end shopping is in urban neighborhoods. It took a lot of contortions and plain ignorance of the facts for the author to "make his point".

This is actually the link that the author provides to back up his assertion that 400 malls in the US are doing well... Shopping Malls Are Going Extinct - Business Insider. I don't really see how that props up the author's rosy prognosis or his conclusion that the suburbs/exurbs are thriving along with the malls.

Old 06-08-2015, 07:50 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,882,782 times
I personally hope our city & suburbs both continue to thrive

Old 06-08-2015, 08:04 AM

831 posts, read 878,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
I don't really see how that props up the author's rosy prognosis or his conclusion that the suburbs/exurbs are thriving along with the malls.
How about this one from Time Magazine that uses Census data.

Census: Suburbs Grow, City Growth Slows

Or The Brookings Institute

http://www.brookings.edu/blogs/the-a...rowth-gap-frey

Old 06-08-2015, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclifton View Post
Right. I wasn't arguing about the growth of cities and/or suburbs. I was pointing out that the article was poorly sourced and failed to prove its point regarding malls in the suburbs/exurbs. The posts you've linked to above have nothing to do with malls.

And even the links above clearly set out the fact that city growth is still outpacing suburban growth, so I fail to see what point you are trying to make with them.

Old 06-08-2015, 08:38 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I personally hope our city & suburbs both continue to thrive
I do as well. Goodness, I don't understand this childish city is better or suburb is better crap. Would be great if our region does well all the way out to the furthest of regions. I wish Sharpsburg and Etna would do better. So much potential, but not that much interest.

Old 06-08-2015, 09:33 AM

Just because I'm not impressed by the OP's link doesn't mean I want the suburbs/exurbs to fail. They play a pretty vital role in housing the many who would be miserable neighbors in the city. They keep Pittsburgh from being too congested. I don't believe that growth is necessarily entirely positive, so I have no problem if the "burbanites" stay where they are. I'm glad those people have somewhere they can be happy, even though it's not for me.

Old 06-08-2015, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I do as well. Goodness, I don't understand this childish city is better or suburb is better crap. Would be great if our region does well all the way out to the furthest of regions. I wish Sharpsburg and Etna would do better. So much potential, but not that much interest.
I don't think people in Sharpsburg or Etna are complaining that much about the status quo... affordable home prices and rentals, great proximity to all the amenities of the city, good schools (great as far as Sharpsburg is concerned), clean, safe, quiet, and not congested... rich people's homes not too far away to loot and pillage when the riots start...

Old 06-08-2015, 10:30 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
It's ironic that the Pittsburgh area was once "ground zero" for dead malls, but now has five malls that are either thriving or doing solid business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh