Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 04:23 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,258,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
I would look for a house within walking distance to the t, you are a short ride to south hills village and a lot of other amenities.
There are 4 stops on the T that serve ML residences, Arlington, Poplar, ML, and Dormont.

Depending on how far you are willing to walk, you would be looking at areas within walking distance to the Uptown and ML Blvd shopping districts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 03:06 PM

13 posts, read 14,095 times
Thank you everyone!!!

Old 06-19-2015, 03:15 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Virginia Manor Shopping Center is worse for foot traffic. The only access is from Cochran Road. It is possible to walk along the business side of Cochran, but you would be walking close to traffic or through the parking lots of fast food restaurants and other businesses. I always avoided running on Cochran north of the intersection at Parker.
I was going to say--sure, there's a Giant Eagle and a Starbucks and a Marshall's and a Panera and a Chipotle in the Greentree/Cochran corridor, but you'd have to have a death wish if you were going to walk from one strip mall to the next.

Old 06-19-2015, 06:42 PM

13 posts, read 14,095 times
are you able to walk to the Galleria mall or is like the virginia manor shopping center?

Old 06-19-2015, 09:01 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Is Mt. Lebanon your only choice, here? Will you have access to a car? Are you planning on taking public transportation? Parts of it are very walkable, but I'm not positive that you'll be able to get to everything you could possibly need without a car.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:28 PM

189 posts, read 166,148 times
Yes, you can walk to the Galleria as there are sidewalks all the way although it is on some very busy streets. However, you should know it's a very small mall with a few shops and restaurants.

I'm wondering the same things as Fleetie...

As noted in the many posts above, there are several small business districts in Mt Lebanon. I don't think any ONE of them will meet all of someone's needs. For example, the Galleria is great if you want to catch a movie, smoke a cigar, drink Starbucks and buy a pair of Frye boots. Not so great if you need groceries and deodorant. Uptown is wonderful if you want sushi, baked goods, independent coffee shops and a local bar. However, there is minimal clothes shopping and no gym or movie theatre. Mt. Lebanon Blvd shops are where you can buy liquor, shop at Hallmark, do some grocery shopping and pick up a prescription. But not see a movie or buy clothes. And so on...

If you really need to be in walking distance for basic needs, I'd look between the Mt Lebo Blvd and Uptown areas. Then you could walk to both, and not be too far from the Galleria, either. Use googlemaps to plot out all the commercial areas and T stops, then you'll be able to hone in on the most convenient streets. You'll find a wide range of home prices in these areas.

Last edited by MamieRose; 06-19-2015 at 09:37 PM..

Old 06-20-2015, 06:20 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,661,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by em3576 View Post
are you able to walk to the Galleria mall or is like the virginia manor shopping center?
It is possible to walk down Washington Road to the Galleria. Just be aware that it is a narrow sidewalk with telephone poles in the middle of the sidewalk. When I ran at night in this area, I never ran that far south on Washington because of the poor sidewalks.

There is also a narrow sidewalk along Gilkeson Road to get to the Galleria. Another option is a path through Iroquois Park, which is off of Iroquois Drive. You could actually take this route from Washington Road by making a right at Sunnyhill Drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh