Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 09:11 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,975,035 times

Advertisements

Erieguy, I think we are like 90% in agreement. I guess you just come across fewer people who whine and complain. Either way, it's not a suburbs vs. city thing or a city vs. suburbs thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 09:16 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,954,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charisb View Post
Living in the city, I rarely deal with parking, traffic, or paying for gas because I walk or bus almost everywhere. I just got my car inspected and I drove a total of 2,000 miles last year.
I live the same lifestyle. With all of the new retail options in the city I rarely have to leave the city. I walk, bike, or use public transportation. My mall of choice is South Hills Village do to the convenience of the T. I live in the extreme eastern edge of the city but the Busway and T makes the South Hills location convenient. I do drive to Ikea, Sams Club, and Ross Park Mall as needed.

Old 07-07-2015, 11:24 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,094,276 times
Route Fifty - Pittsburgh

Old 07-07-2015, 11:52 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,814,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
Except when people do choose to go out of their way (like for day trips, vacations, etc.), people rarely ever choose to go visit the suburbs/exurbs. They visit the cities. Or the woods. Or the shore. Or a quaint small town. They don't go to Cranberry, Monroeville, Robinson... of course, unless they are cheap, and they want to sleep next to a strip mall and drive into the city during the day. Cities are the destinations.
I often make Robinson a day trip. It has a nice park with a small waterfall to walk around in, and afterwards it has every modern store that you could possibly think of, much more than a few overpriced hipster specialty boutiques. When I visit cities, my final destination in those places often involve the suburbs. Hotels tend to be cheaper, you don't have to pay for parking, and the surrounding environment generally tends to be safer overnight. Every trip to Pittsburgh should include a stop over in Cranberry.

Old 07-07-2015, 04:26 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,539,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobick View Post
Idiocy.

Old 07-08-2015, 08:03 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,879,034 times
I recently got back from Eastern Europe a couple of days ago & was in a town with a section that was akin to this shared road idea & saw one benefit that could be fitting to pittsburgh.

As here, most of the actual sidewalks in many areas weren't extremely wide. Since the sidewalk & road were not differentiated much, there were a number of cafes that built out large outdoor seating areas onto the sidewalk effectively cutting it off entirely but didn't really matter since walking around it onto the road part was fine.

Here, most places' outdoor seating is limited to a couple of tables on the sidewalk and even then (I know because I've heard them which boggles my mind) it causes some residents to b*tch about anything being on the sidewalk areas. I love outdoor seating & anything that increases such cafes is a big plus for me.

Note, I still don't like the idea of putting the plan in busy artery roads, at least initially & should be first tried out in quieter neighborhood areas.
Attached Thumbnails
Planned Chaos Proposed for Downtown-image.jpg  

Last edited by UKyank; 07-08-2015 at 08:18 AM..

Old 07-08-2015, 03:01 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,944,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
I often make Robinson a day trip. It has a nice park with a small waterfall to walk around in, and afterwards it has every modern store that you could possibly think of, much more than a few overpriced hipster specialty boutiques. When I visit cities, my final destination in those places often involve the suburbs. Hotels tend to be cheaper, you don't have to pay for parking, and the surrounding environment generally tends to be safer overnight. Every trip to Pittsburgh should include a stop over in Cranberry.

This is absolutely hilarious. Why bother travel anywhere at all if you are merely going to stay in an exurb that has all of the same amenities (corporate-chain hotels, restaurants, and stores) as the town you already live in, as well as ever major metropolitan area in the nation? If you want to feel like you are at "home", why not just stay there?

Old 07-08-2015, 04:01 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,890,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I recently got back from Eastern Europe a couple of days ago & was in a town with a section that was akin to this shared road idea & saw one benefit that could be fitting to pittsburgh.

As here, most of the actual sidewalks in many areas weren't extremely wide. Since the sidewalk & road were not differentiated much, there were a number of cafes that built out large outdoor seating areas onto the sidewalk effectively cutting it off entirely but didn't really matter since walking around it onto the road part was fine.

Here, most places' outdoor seating is limited to a couple of tables on the sidewalk and even then (I know because I've heard them which boggles my mind) it causes some residents to b*tch about anything being on the sidewalk areas. I love outdoor seating & anything that increases such cafes is a big plus for me.

Note, I still don't like the idea of putting the plan in busy artery roads, at least initially & should be first tried out in quieter neighborhood areas.
A setting like this is something I envisioned for the rebirth of Broad Street in EL between Centre Ave and Euclid Street.. It looks like it was intended to be a Ped Mall from the beginning, you can see it has the bones.

Old 07-08-2015, 05:45 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,202,032 times
In the same timeframe that Penn Circle was created, they did turn Broad St. between Highland and Whitfield from a street into a pedestrian mall.

Old 07-08-2015, 06:59 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,898,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I recently got back from Eastern Europe.
Where in Poland was this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh