Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2015, 06:17 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,258,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I wish at least Market Square had NO CARS allowed. It would be so much nicer.
Quite possibly, but eliminate automobiles there could pose other problems for access by people who need to go there.

Old 07-05-2015, 08:31 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Quite possibly, but eliminate automobiles there could pose other problems for access by people who need to go there.
As a delivery driver I could see making very limited exceptions for commercial vehicles that need to make deliveries to businesses within Market Square, as well as for perhaps paratransit shuttles picking up physically-disabled residents in/around the affected area. Otherwise, though, the vast majority of vehicular traffic at Market Square at any given time is extraneous and unnecessary.

As a quasi-caterer I can safely say that sometimes I'm lifting a 30-lb.-50-lb. catering bag in each hand, and making me park even further away from a client site and hoofing it just isn't feasible. I also see many UPS/FedEx drivers with dollies loaded to the gills with heavy packages. People like us would still need to be accommodated.

Old 07-05-2015, 10:37 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Saw this on Facebook today:
https://www.facebook.com/FreshCoatCranberryTownship

See top photos. This is for all of you who think Cranberry is some "new" suburb. Historic buildings can be found in the most unlikely of places.

Old 07-05-2015, 10:45 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,204,248 times
There's a lot of older beautiful homes and buildings around here. One would have to actually leave the city and visit the area to know it, however.

Old 07-05-2015, 11:37 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,981,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Saw this on Facebook today:
https://www.facebook.com/FreshCoatCranberryTownship

See top photos. This is for all of you who think Cranberry is some "new" suburb. Historic buildings can be found in the most unlikely of places.
This would be like me pointing to the URA buildings at Antrim and McClure. A few buildings that aren't in character with the neighborhood doesn't change the fact that Cranberry is by and large modern stereotypical American suburbia/exurbia. No different than how Brighton Heights is by and large a stereotypical early 20th century American neighborhood.

Unless there's a "historic downtown" section of cranberry that I'm not aware of?

Old 07-05-2015, 12:05 PM

We don't want a historic downtown muphere...and many prefer modern, stereotypical, clean, safe, etc... suburbia. We're not limited to where we go. If we want or wanted that we/we'd live/drive 25 minutes south...and thinking there aren't many old homes in the area only proves one has spent little to zero time, here.

I forgot about Harmony. http://harmonymuseum.org
Nice to be so close to pretty much anything one wants.

Last edited by erieguy; 07-05-2015 at 12:55 PM..

Old 07-05-2015, 03:06 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
^^Agreed! Cranberry has been a northern suburb since I was a kid back in the 50s. I wish Tallysmom were here; she knows a great deal about history.

Old 07-05-2015, 03:46 PM

Yup, people act like it just appeared since many left da 'burgh for greener pastures.

Old 07-05-2015, 06:53 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
^^Agreed! Cranberry has been a northern suburb since I was a kid back in the 50s. I wish Tallysmom were here; she knows a great deal about history.
The population of Cranberry in 1960 was 3,596.

Not even worth building a road to.

Please stop with this silliness. Peters Twp is the same. Yes people lived there. Yes there are some old buidings. But Cranberry, Peters and pretty much everything else outside the inner ring was freaking RURAL - even Upper St Clair was mostly farms.

Nobody's suggesting someone filled in a swamp and built it all new or designed some white conservative panacea like the hideous Celebration, FL development. But to call pre-1980s Cranberry a "suburb" is stretching things.

I personally don't give a rat's ass. However, and this applies to any burb anywhere - my thinking is that if you're within the natural orbit of an urban center that provides culture, sports, jobs, etc. and is the raison d'etre why your burb is prosperous in the first place, then you owe something to help maintain that urban center. That's perfectly logical. Even tourists pay hotel and car rental taxes.

Old 07-05-2015, 07:31 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
I personally don't give a rat's ass. However, and this applies to any burb anywhere - my thinking is that if you're within the natural orbit of an urban center that provides culture, sports, jobs, etc. and is the raison d'etre why your burb is prosperous in the first place, then you owe something to help maintain that urban center. That's perfectly logical. Even tourists pay hotel and car rental taxes.
Indeed. I mean, you can look at the Detroit suburbs as a grand experiment that was undertaken to see if a suburban area could still thrive after the essential total abandonment of the core city by the suburbs. We can see how well that turned out for the metropolitan area at large. Thriving suburbs need a healthy core city. And any healthy core city will naturally develop thriving suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh