Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2015, 02:34 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,502,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Yes, but my point is what brick and mortar retail needs in order to survive now (and even moreso in the future) is to present shopping as a unique, pleasurable experience in and of itself. Urban retail has an advantage with this for a number of reasons. People who are out walking when they could be driving are already recreating, for example. More than that, to the extent urban retail continues to have independent boutiques (or at least smaller-scale chains with unique items) it will have a certain appeal that strip malls do not. In addition, it's just a lot easier to impulsively walk into an urban boutique if you happen to be walking by. Reaction times are usually slow enough that people will not pull into a strip mall immediately even if they see something which intrigues them.
Agreed, assuming consumerism survives the coming destruction of jobs at all. But that's another topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 03:11 PM

994 posts, read 896,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Are you expecting the city to pay the bill for your proposed transportation?
It will take a dedicated revenue stream to make a reality.

Did you build the Cranberry roads yourself?

Old 07-14-2015, 04:01 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,210,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post

Instead of providing stainless steel appliances; granite counter tops; marble foyers; media rooms; balconies; etc. why can't any developers build units with white appliances; formica counter tops; linoleum or laminate flooring; etc.? There's an increasing dearth of ~$800/month 1-BR units in this city while we're building more units for those receiving subsidies as well as those who can afford $1,000/month+.

There are plenty of apartments at your price point in Allegheny County, you just can't find them in the "hot" areas.

Since you are "in the middle", I guess that makes you middle class by definition and the natural habitat for MC is the burbs.

If you can't compete for $2000 a month apartments, be content with what you can have.

Be the "simple man" of the Skynard song which was popular before you was born.

Old 07-14-2015, 04:14 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,210,104 times
Quote:
I just wish I was born in a different era. I wish I lived in the 1940s and was able to get all dressed up in my Sunday best with my family to walk around Downtown and shop at so many different stores connected by sidewalks replete with courteous, respectful people who beamed with civic pride for their city.

The 30's and 40's weren't nearly as great as you might think. Prices for things like food were high, the city was crowded, dirty and smoky, a lot of labor unrest and strikes all the time, and a lot of people were just a lot poorer than they are today. A lot of men earned what they could selling newspapers on the corner or shining shoes. Some people did better, but a lot of people were really struggling even after the WWII. Just like a lot of people are struggling today.

Old 07-14-2015, 05:32 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,038,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainDewGuy View Post
It will take a dedicated revenue stream to make a reality.

Did you build the Cranberry roads yourself?
So you're saying the city should pay the bill, and that people who don't want to pay to park or pay for transportation are going to spend enough $$$ to support retail business? Highly doubtful.

Nobody picks us up or drives us around for free on those roads.

Last edited by erieguy; 07-14-2015 at 05:52 PM..

Old 07-14-2015, 06:01 PM

15,633 posts, read 26,132,202 times
Quote:
Fair enough, Goodjules. I understand the Internet has also been a boon for struggling start-ups to make a go of it without the burden of securing a physical location.

I just feel so bummed out about this closure. I've been depressed since I learned about it. I guess there aren't many Macy's fans on here, but I personally love(d) Macy's and will probably no longer patronize them since they'll no longer have a city location. I keep thinking "no more parade"'; "no more Christmas window displays"; "no more gawking at the old wooden escalator". I'll be paying off the last $150 on my credit card with them and will then shift to more mom-and-pop shopping in the city, as well as hitting up the East Liberty Target more often and opening a line of credit with them instead.
I get it -- I try to buy American to keep Americans working.

But understand, Macy's sends your money back to the main office.. wherever that is this week. Buy local from local people. Don't go to Home Depot, go to your local Ace Hardware or True Value. The goods may not be local, but you can be sure the owner and workers live here and your money stays here.

As much as you decry online shopping -- you can find local artisans on etsy. Pretty cool.

The past is over. We can't go back to the old fashioned Main Street. That style of shopping isn't what goes over anymore, unless it's destination style shopping like antiques or quilting... And frankly, as I sit here, in my comfy knit jeans and knit tank top -- I'm pretty sure I don't want to go back to the trussed up girdle and stockings and sensible heel dressed days. With hats and gloves....

Today isn't perfect, but it is pretty good....

And SCR -- third me in -- if Macy's has really thrown you for a loop downward, please see someone...

Old 07-14-2015, 07:40 PM

778 posts, read 835,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I get it -- I try to buy American to keep Americans working.

But understand, Macy's sends your money back to the main office.. wherever that is this week. Buy local from local people. Don't go to Home Depot, go to your local Ace Hardware or True Value. The goods may not be local, but you can be sure the owner and workers live here and your money stays here.

As much as you decry online shopping -- you can find local artisans on etsy. Pretty cool.

The past is over. We can't go back to the old fashioned Main Street. That style of shopping isn't what goes over anymore, unless it's destination style shopping like antiques or quilting... And frankly, as I sit here, in my comfy knit jeans and knit tank top -- I'm pretty sure I don't want to go back to the trussed up girdle and stockings and sensible heel dressed days. With hats and gloves....

Today isn't perfect, but it is pretty good....

And SCR -- third me in -- if Macy's has really thrown you for a loop downward, please see someone...
Also the days in which women did not work and thus had time to make daily shopping trips for every little thing every person in the household needed. I prefer to work and keep my financial autonomy and security, thanks.

How people shop has changed. People want the limitless inventory of a big box or online store. Psychologically there's a lot of evidence that this level of choice actually makes people unhappy in the long run, but businesses aren't here for the betterment of the collective psyche, they're here to give consumers what they want. Without the space to support big boxes, urban areas need to embrace the other model of destination shopping where the shopping is just one part of a larger experience that also includes dining, entertainment, and a whole ambiance that allows shoppers to feel like they're part of something special that can't be had anywhere else. That's what you see at the new urbanist style shopping centers like Southside Works and that little bit of the Waterfront near the movie theater. Those places simulate a town square that was never there, whereas downtown has real actual town squares and plazas.

Old 07-14-2015, 08:14 PM

15,633 posts, read 26,132,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theta_sigma View Post
Also the days in which women did not work and thus had time to make daily shopping trips for every little thing every person in the household needed. I prefer to work and keep my financial autonomy and security, thanks.

How people shop has changed. People want the limitless inventory of a big box or online store. Psychologically there's a lot of evidence that this level of choice actually makes people unhappy in the long run, but businesses aren't here for the betterment of the collective psyche, they're here to give consumers what they want. Without the space to support big boxes, urban areas need to embrace the other model of destination shopping where the shopping is just one part of a larger experience that also includes dining, entertainment, and a whole ambiance that allows shoppers to feel like they're part of something special that can't be had anywhere else. That's what you see at the new urbanist style shopping centers like Southside Works and that little bit of the Waterfront near the movie theater. Those places simulate a town square that was never there, whereas downtown has real actual town squares and plazas.
It wasn't daily, but it was a day. Living in Cranberry, back when there was nothing there, shopping days were planned like D-Day. We'd start at Gimbels in the morning to pick up Daddy's things, have lunch at the Tic Toc in Kauffmans and go to their wonderful fabric department, end up at Joseph Hornes and then Woolworths where I could look at the birds, turtles and embroidery kits.... loved their craft supplies! And maybe a little snack at the lunch counter. Then home in time to make dinner for Daddy, who walked in the door before 6PM and dinner was waiting.

Grocery shopping was once a week because it was a half hour drive to get there....except for milk which was bought at Glen Eden Dairy and eggs from the egg lady on Rochester Rd.

I can't stand shopping on a daily basis. My mother loved it when Cranberry built up, because on her low budget, she could hit the nearly expired meat sales daily to decide what to make for dinner. And heavens -- that woman learned to cook when she got older. We grew up with flavorless hockey puck hamburger patties and instant mashed potatoes.....

Old 07-14-2015, 08:33 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,459,063 times
Sad to see it go, have a lot of Christmas memories there. It's just the sign of the times. Malls are dying, why not Downtown shopping? Maybe the city will morph into Housing, restaurants, and more government offices.

Old 07-14-2015, 08:42 PM

479 posts, read 1,233,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Sad to see it go, have a lot of Christmas memories there. It's just the sign of the times. Malls are dying, why not Downtown shopping? Maybe the city will morph into Housing, restaurants, and more government offices.
Things just aren't the same anywhere these days! It just seems like the trends of most cities is unfortunately towards gentrification.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh