Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 09:25 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,817,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
One of my favorite things about living in Portland was being able to shop downtown after work. A wonderful downtown area. And as I recall, people didn't b**** about paying to have to park downtown. Pittsburgh is the only city I've lived in where downtown was diminished, if not defeated, by the lack of free parking.
I suspect it has more to do with the lack of hotel rooms and population not just downtown but in the surrounding neighborhoods. The hotels have come back and the downtown population is growing but it's not at a critical mass for retail. If you think about it there's the stadium district, allegheny center, the strip, and former hill district, etc which have all emptied out or been empty. Philadelphia is a seeing retail renaissance but it comes on the heels of years of growing population in both the city center and surrounding neighborhoods and tourism. I'd suspect you'll see more smaller stores like uniqlo before department stores. Seems to be more in line with what people want
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 06:34 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,960,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expdxer View Post
There also appears to be a correlation between a vibrant downtown for shopping and a higher cost of living of a city, such as the West Coast cities, not to mention NYC. That's unfortunate. I live in the D.C. area. Even though I don't have a car, I still go to malls in Virginia since they are transit accessible. I don't find downtown D.C. to be a very appealing shopping environment, except for Friendship Heights (to those familiar with the area.)
I think you'll find that urban retail is linked to population density and mass transit ridership. Chicago has thriving urban retail, and a cost of living that is practically Southern. I think you'll also find a chopping district that is often adjacent to, nut ultimately separate from the central business district. SoHo, not Wall Street. Magnificent Mile, not the Loop. Georgetown, not K Street. Newbury St, not Downtown Boston. Pittsburgh has no such adjacent strip, and while transit ridership, is relatively high, population density isn't (relative to the major urban shopping destinations).

Old 09-08-2015, 01:59 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
I thought this was the Macy's closing thread??

Old 09-08-2015, 08:33 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,893,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I think you'll find that urban retail is linked to population density and mass transit ridership. Chicago has thriving urban retail, and a cost of living that is practically Southern. I think you'll also find a chopping district that is often adjacent to, nut ultimately separate from the central business district. SoHo, not Wall Street. Magnificent Mile, not the Loop. Georgetown, not K Street. Newbury St, not Downtown Boston. Pittsburgh has no such adjacent strip, and while transit ridership, is relatively high, population density isn't (relative to the major urban shopping destinations).
Pittsburgh has thriving retail in its Neighborhoods, another challenge it has that other cities don't ..... Pittsburgh has Shadyside, Squirrel Hill, South Side Works, East Liberty, The Waterfront, L'ville, Bloomfield. All with Stores that would mostly be located in the "Downtown" in other cities, and in those cities, the neighborhoods would travel Downtown to experience the shopping that we experience here in our Neighborhoods.

This is a challenge for Downtown Pittsburgh, in that it must compete with already successful neighborhoods, so how does Downtown get in on that Retail scene without robbing from those same neighborhoods? As much as I want thriving retail downtown (really the last and biggest missing piece of the puzzle), I don't want to take from Walnut Street, Forbes and Murray, the Waterfront, South Side Works, Butler Street, etc.

Old 09-09-2015, 11:10 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,092,810 times
More closings to come.

Old 09-09-2015, 11:28 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,257,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if their Century 3 store was on the list.

Old 09-10-2015, 05:44 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,645,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
This is a challenge for Downtown Pittsburgh, in that it must compete with already successful neighborhoods, so how does Downtown get in on that Retail scene without robbing from those same neighborhoods?
IMHO it will take significantly greater numbers of people living and working downtown. I'm from San Francisco which has bustling retail in its neighborhoods and downtown. It's only 49 square miles and has a population of roughly 850,000. That number goes up daily with commuters who work in the city and out of town visitors. Of course a significant number of people who live in SF commute to Silicon Valley. However, young techies want to live in the city and many of the tech companies now have offices in the city. Population density makes all the difference.

Old 09-10-2015, 07:51 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,893,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodjules View Post
Population density makes all the difference.
That's the thing, Downtown Pittsburgh was NEVER a neighborhood, never seen as residential, it was purely a CBD that closed at 5-6pm M-F, and all activities took place in the neighborhoods which people lived.

As Downtown plays a role as Neighborhood too, it must attract a Retail corridor, otherwise it will never sustain its momentum. Something will ALWAYS be missing to potential Downtown dwellers. Macy's closing really hit a sore spot with the newer residences that just relocated to Downtown as the last piece of significant retail is shuttering.

IF downtown is to sustain its evolution into 'neighborhood' status, it MUST begin to establish a Retail Corridor.

Old 09-10-2015, 10:15 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,200,791 times
Big business wants big $$$. When that business is available a few miles away in Ross or Bethel Park, that's where it and people are going to go to spend $$$. It's more convenient combined with more of a selection. People go to the city for events, to eat, drink, gamble, etc... Be thankful those things are in the city to attract people and $$$.

Last edited by erieguy; 09-10-2015 at 10:28 PM..

Old 09-14-2015, 12:44 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,817,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
That's the thing, Downtown Pittsburgh was NEVER a neighborhood, never seen as residential, it was purely a CBD that closed at 5-6pm M-F, and all activities took place in the neighborhoods which people lived.

As Downtown plays a role as Neighborhood too, it must attract a Retail corridor, otherwise it will never sustain its momentum. Something will ALWAYS be missing to potential Downtown dwellers. Macy's closing really hit a sore spot with the newer residences that just relocated to Downtown as the last piece of significant retail is shuttering.

IF downtown is to sustain its evolution into 'neighborhood' status, it MUST begin to establish a Retail Corridor.
downtown has not recovered from the removal of 8000 residents to build a hockey arena. no doubt the renewal projects at allegheny center and highways gutting the northside had similar affects. OTOH, people have to come first before retail, that's the way it works.as people move in (or visit, or work there) new things open. there are a lot more place to go at night than there were ten years ago (downtown) and people continue to move downtown it's just going to take some time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh