Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 10:42 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,594,008 times

Advertisements

The link below is the best way to catch a bus and a very good way to visualize where the buses are. Note that it is real time, so if you want to see what service looks like in an area at night, just to that area at that time and watch.

It also makes it much more pleasant to ride the more crowded routes at rush hour. If you see a packed bus at your stop, you can see if there's another behind it by two blocks that might be easier to ride.

Pittsburgh Buses Live Map

(I think maybe some buses are still not displayed, so you don't want to abandon the time tables completely.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2015, 10:43 AM

831 posts, read 878,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeebus View Post
Thanks for the suggestions, guys! This is great stuff. Just one thing, though - I've already looked into the East Liberty area and it seems to have a lot of crime? Is this true?

I'm looking to rent, btw. Single female. So safety is important to me as someone who will be walking and taking the bus everywhere.
If you're concerned with crime, steer clear of East Liberty.

Oakmont is nice....very low crime, extremely walk-able, and lots of bus stops.

Old 07-17-2015, 10:44 AM

2,218 posts, read 1,945,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
You will be limited with a 1br at $1000 though it is doable. Don't expect a lot. Biking is getting more popular but realize that it can only be done at the most, 6 months out of the year. Also, Pittsburgh is as overcast as Portland. So expect rain.
I'm not a biker, but this doesn't seem right to me. Why would you only be able to bike 6 months out of the year? I'm certain that many do it for much longer here. I would think that mid-late December through most of March would be tough... but unless you are some delicate flower, you should be able bike the rest of the year.

Old 07-17-2015, 10:51 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,962,857 times
For all the complaints about Pittsburgh's mass transit (it leaves a lot to be desired) I don't think there a comparably-sized city in the country with a better system.

As others have said, your best choices are in the East End. I live effectively carless (I put roughly 1000 miles/year on my car) in Shadyside.

Old 07-17-2015, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclifton View Post
Oakmont is nice....very low crime, extremely walk-able, and lots of bus stops.
Lots of stops don't do you much good if there aren't lots of buses. Oakmont has very poor or non-existent service in the evening or the middle of the day. The 78 and the P78 don't even run on the weekends. If you live in Oakmont without a car, you're only leaving Oakmont during working hours.

Old 07-17-2015, 10:56 AM

5 posts, read 6,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Lots of stops don't do you much good if there aren't lots of buses. Oakmont has very poor or non-existent service in the evening or the middle of the day. The 78 and the P78 don't even run on the weekends. If you live in Oakmont without a car, you're only leaving Oakmont during working hours.
This is exactly the kind of information I was hoping to find on neighborhoods, so thank you! Crossing Oakmont off the list.

Old 07-17-2015, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/apa/5095178024.html this is one reason that I recommend along the t, rents are more stable, crime is low, schools are good, and you can get to everything.

To be clear to the OP, along the T would be referring to the light rail system. Towns and neighborhoods such as Mt. Lebanon, Dormont, Beechview, etc.

http://www.portauthority.org/paac/apps/maps/TLines.pdf

Old 07-17-2015, 11:07 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,891,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
I'm not a biker, but this doesn't seem right to me. Why would you only be able to bike 6 months out of the year? I'm certain that many do it for much longer here. I would think that mid-late December through most of March would be tough... but unless you are some delicate flower, you should be able bike the rest of the year.
Winter, rain, and temps. Unless she doesn't mind.

Old 07-17-2015, 11:11 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,965,362 times
You might be interested in a building called Walnut on Highland. It's a 13-story building recently rehabbed into apartments and seems to be very popular. It's on S. Highland Ave. in East Liberty, right across the street from East Liberty Presbyterian Church, which is the major landmark in the neighborhood. It's one block from the East Liberty busway station, two blocks from Whole Foods, a block and a half from Target, and convenient to at least a dozen restaurants within walking distance. The local bus lines run along Center Ave., Penn Ave., Highland Ave., and there's a lot of service seven days a week.

East Liberty used to be a neighborhood that was in decline, but it's really turned around in the last 15 years. It's seeing a lot of development (there is a mixed-use apartment/retail development going in with another 365 apartments across Centre from the Highland building) and crime has declined by 50%.

Old 07-17-2015, 11:12 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,962,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
Those are the hardest months, bar none, but early Summer is no walk in the park either, unless you don't mind biking in the rain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh