Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2015, 09:41 AM

21 posts, read 34,921 times

Advertisements

I'm back with another Bethel Park question!

I've noticed that one elementary school is ranked 7 on Great Schools while the others are 9 or 10. Anyone know why Benjamin Franklin Elementary is lower than the others? Is there a 'bad' area of Bethel or a reason I should avoid neighborhoods that go to this school? TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2015, 09:49 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,279,170 times
It's all based on average test scores on Great Schools - if you click on the number "7", you get a breakdown of it. Test scores aren't always a good indicator of how good an education your child can get.

Old 07-20-2015, 09:36 PM

539 posts, read 521,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karraeb View Post

I've noticed that one elementary school is ranked 7 on Great Schools while the others are 9 or 10. Anyone know why Benjamin Franklin Elementary is lower than the others? Is there a 'bad' area of Bethel or a reason I should avoid neighborhoods that go to this school? TIA!
Ben Franklin is a great school. Its also bigger than the rest and has a couple lower income neighborhoods around it. Not necessarily poor, but not as well off. For example, its probably the only BP school with more than a few black students. Still a really great school, you cannot go wrong with BP elementary schools IMO

Old 07-20-2015, 09:38 PM

It being larger might lower its score

Old 07-20-2015, 11:04 PM

3,592 posts, read 3,363,721 times
Bethel park is a good school district, I am guessing it was something stupid like the ac was turned off during the test.

Western pa is blessed with great schools, there are probably 10 districts if not more that I would have no problem sending my son to. Bethel park is one of those schools, you are not doing your child a disservice by sending them to one elementary school over the other, I think you would be better locating a residence your child and you will be comfortable and happy in no matter what a test score says. Just remember bethel parks bad areas are alot Better than other towns good areas.

Old 07-21-2015, 07:55 PM

Right around the high school are my favorite neighborhoods, and a lot of them are in BF territory. Just pick a nice neighborhood where your kid can play with other kids and everything will be perfect

Old 07-23-2015, 07:39 AM

68 posts, read 83,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karraeb View Post

I recommend using the PA School Performance website to more accurately evaluate individual school academic performance:

School Performance Profile: Benjamin Franklin El Sch

Old 07-28-2015, 09:35 AM

21 posts, read 34,921 times
Thanks jfds, that links was really helpful and interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh