Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 06:32 PM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYO View Post
Plus, I always get weird looks when I say I hate the Steelers.
You would get that (or more!) in any city when saying you HATE the hometown team.
Hate is such a strong word...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2015, 09:17 PM

2,768 posts, read 1,581,715 times
I've traveled all over the world and lived in several places in the US and in Asia, and Pittsburgh has always seemed quite friendly (yes, I am a bit biased, being that i am originally from Pittsburgh).

Anecdotally, My wife is from Taiwan. When we were living on the North Side while I finished grad school at Pitt, her sister visited us and remarked frequently that our neighbors were quite friendly. My SIL had lived in Kansas and Connecticut previously. When I was at Pitt, I knew many of the Chinese and Taiwanese students at both Pitt and CMU and most of them also felt that people in Pittsburgh were quite friendly. That was back in 1986 - 1996 and I don't know what things are like now. But, I would be surprised if things have changed drastically in this regard.

Old 07-20-2015, 09:42 PM

539 posts, read 523,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
I understand that the more transient neighborhoods might be open to transplants, but what makes people believe that others (such as the southern city neighborhoods) are so insular? I get the general vibe that a lot of people are happy to see outsiders moving in, and are glad to welcome them to the neighborhood. After years of the standard being that people left Pittsburgh, it’s always exciting to see new faces and meet people that have decided to make Pittsburgh their home. Overall, I think what matters most is the attitude of the new person.
Obviously its a generalization, but the South Hills neighborhoods are older and often people live around the area their whole life. Their Parents parents may still live in the same area. A lot of high school friends might too. This just makes things more insular. Where the city and the newer suburbs have less people who were born-raised-and live their adult life's in that same place.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:02 PM

119 posts, read 144,866 times
I've only visited Pittsburgh--for a fortnight during the late 90s. Then it seemed very friendly, over all with a touch of suspicion toward outsiders. For example, a bus driver went out of his way to help me find my hotel (i never would have found it with out his instructions); random ppl put me up in their homes; on other hand, a clerk at a down town book store acted like I was scamming her when I used a traveler's check and I had to have her manager 'look it the matter' of the propriety of accepting a traveler's check.

But one must remember it wasn't until very recently that Pittsburgh's (i think last year?) population actually increased. That's decades and decades of ppl leaving, whether to the 'burbs or for sunbelt metros or whatever.

I will say it seemed far more interested in outsiders than my present city of Minneapolis. Like my present city, Pittsburgh does seem very family-centric, which has some obvious pitfalls for new comers.

Like previous posters have said....any interest in local area will go a long way. And hating on the Steelers is probably an easy way to provoke ire. Besides it's low hanging fruit, let it go.

In the end, I hope to relocate there one day. The city really amazed me. The ppl are fine and generally friendly; but it is a somewhat isolated city without as much in migration as other cities.

Old 07-21-2015, 02:26 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,581,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYO View Post
...I always get weird looks when I say I hate the Steelers.
Well, yeah. Nobody likes a jagoff!

Old 07-21-2015, 05:25 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,849 times
I think they are friendly. We have been here three years and while the friends I have made are wonderful, most are from work. Many of the parents of the kids that my sons hang out with are nice and friendly.

But like anywhere, as immigrants, we have different things that we like, we didn't go to school here nor do we have school friends here. We had different tv programs and a different upbringing.

Its always fun to learn and to keep your mind open to other people.

Old 07-21-2015, 05:25 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,644,131 times
As a fairly outgoing newcomer I felt it was easy to fit in and that most people were quite welcoming. I moved here in Dec 2012 and didn't know anyone. I'm also self employed and my kids are grown. I find it is harder to meet people when you don't work in a large office or have school age kids. Co workers and other parents were how I met people in the past. When you're older and self employed you have to make more of an effort to put yourself in social situations.

Old 07-21-2015, 06:00 AM

28 posts, read 36,521 times
People in general are more friendly here but they are not necessarily going to open their social circle to new people. I suggest getting involved in activities, clubs, etc. that are of interest. Maintaining regular contact with a group of like-minded people should make it easier to establish some friendships.

Old 07-21-2015, 12:49 PM

792 posts, read 2,872,635 times
Everyone seems to agree that people are friendly enough to transplants. But people seem to disagree about whether it's easy to get integrated into the community. Is there a lot of the "we have our friends already" thing going on?

Old 07-21-2015, 01:04 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,944,302 times
Well.. I think the answer is pretty clear from the thread- yes and no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh