Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 03:07 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,934,720 times

Advertisements

So if you would make the argument for Mt. Lebanon, would you then include all the areas that have grocery sections in their dollar stores?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 03:07 PM

831 posts, read 873,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
Neither Oakmont nor Verona really have a grocery store in reasonable walking distance from their CBDs, so would also be eliminated as "walkable"...
Your'e right about Oakmont, but Verona has a pretty large Giant Eagle within walking distance of a lot of Verona.

Old 07-21-2015, 03:12 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,896,695 times
I would say that having a full service grocery store is not a good indicator of a walkable area. Small local groceries are just a thing of the past. Granted, it would be nice if there could be a movement towards having small local grocery stores, that offer more than just high end and pre-made food, but also don't look a bargain bin. The competition and costs (and lack of profit) are real inhibitors to more of those in our neighborhood business districts. I think if someone can figure out a model that works and is sustainable, I really think it would be warmly welcomed in many of these areas.

Also, are we defaulting to the typical American when calculating walkability? If so, then most Americans struggle to climb a set of stairs, so anything hillier than Kansas is off the table.

Old 07-21-2015, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclifton View Post
Your'e right about Oakmont, but Verona has a pretty large Giant Eagle within walking distance of a lot of Verona.
Have you actually walked down there? Try walking from the center of Verona (or their very small business district) to that Giant Eagle and back with a bunch of groceries. It's not set up to be very accessible by foot. It is literally on the periphery of the far southern end of town/

Old 07-21-2015, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
I would say that having a full service grocery store is not a good indicator of a walkable area. Small local groceries are just a thing of the past. Granted, it would be nice if there could be a movement towards having small local grocery stores, that offer more than just high end and pre-made food, but also don't look a bargain bin. The competition and costs (and lack of profit) are real inhibitors to more of those in our neighborhood business districts. I think if someone can figure out a model that works and is sustainable, I really think it would be warmly welcomed in many of these areas.

Also, are we defaulting to the typical American when calculating walkability? If so, then most Americans struggle to climb a set of stairs, so anything hillier than Kansas is off the table.
I would agree with that, and the altered definition would expand the number of local walkable communities dramatically.

Old 07-21-2015, 03:16 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,208,797 times
Brentwood has a lot of walkable amenities, with a large shopping center including Giant Eagle just north of the 51&Brownsville intersection.

Just because stores are in a strip mall with easy parking, doesn't mean they aren't walkable for the neighborhood.

Old 07-21-2015, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Brentwood has a lot of walkable amenities, with a large shopping center including Giant Eagle just north of the 51&Brownsville intersection.

Just because stores are in a strip mall with easy parking, doesn't mean they aren't walkable for the neighborhood.
I don't believe anyone mentioned Brentwood either way. I don't understand your point.

Old 07-21-2015, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Have you actually walked down there? Try walking from the center of Verona (or their very small business district) to that Giant Eagle and back with a bunch of groceries. It's not set up to be very accessible by foot. It is literally on the periphery of the far southern end of town/
I haven't, but I go by there a lot. It's less than a 1/2 mile walk from the center of the business district (if you define that as the Trinity Lutheran on ARB) to the doors of the Giant Eagle, with sidewalks, so I'm not sure how it can't be defined as walkable.

Old 07-21-2015, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclifton View Post
I haven't, but I go by there a lot. It's less than a 1/2 mile walk from the center of the business district (if you define that as the Trinity Lutheran on ARB) to the doors of the Giant Eagle, with sidewalks, so I'm not sure how it can't be defined as walkable.
I would certainly defer to the people who live in Verona as to whether or not it is "walkable"... but until then I'll have to disagree with you. I've actually walked around there enough to form my own opinion about it.

Old 07-21-2015, 03:29 PM

Quote:
I would certainly defer to the people who live in Verona as to whether or not it is "walkable"... but until then I'll have to disagree with you. I've actually walked around there enough to form my own opinion about it.
Ok...I admit I haven't lived there (though I have walked around there...but maybe not as much as you).

I just know that I've seen sidewalks and at 1/2 mile I'm not sure what makes it bad (not arguing, just askin)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh