Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 12:58 AM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by londonbarcelona View Post
Oh yeah! gamerooms, putting greens, bedrooms, kitchens theater rooms, music rooms, bathrooms, dens, storage, etc. (I just described ours!) Basements are a big deal out here. Our's is like a first floor! We have an attached garage.
I sort of miss basements. We don't really have them in Calfornia. I do have fond memories of ours at home though.

A lot of them are about making out with my boyfriend (now hubby) on the naugahyde sofa that squeaked every time you moved during Chilly Billy....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 01:30 PM

48 posts, read 199,445 times
We weren't familiar with "integral garage" either when we moved here. I also didn't understand why most basements are finished and pretty much the "family rooms" of the home. I had thought that putting money into finishing a basement would not be a wise investment of dollars since you wouldn't get a great return on your dollar when you sold. What we came to find out is this area is different. People want finished basements and use them as additional living space, like another floor. Strange to me, but I suppose that's the Burg for you. And yes, the garage is part of the basement. When looking at homes take note that the rooms above the integral garage will be colder, we are finding that out now. We need to insulate in between.

Old 11-21-2007, 08:58 AM

439 posts, read 1,473,931 times
There is some bad info in this thread. USC is in Allegheny county not Washington. It is the last county before entering Washington. I do not find that I pay any higher taxes than friends of mine that own similarly valued homes in Bethel, Baldwin etc. Taxes in Allegheny county are higher than in the surrounding counties no matter what municipality you live in. I have a feeling that at some point this will change though. I can't imagine these other counties will not [FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']reassess at some point. I think they are using data from the 1970's[/font].

Old 11-26-2007, 01:38 PM

1,360 posts, read 2,949,948 times
'Lots of houses in USC for 250K. Taxes on same would run about $6500. We moved here because we couldn't afford a true 4 bedroom house in Mt. Lebo. :-)

Old 02-08-2008, 12:51 PM

85 posts, read 286,625 times
This is all true.

Upper St. Clair and Mt. Lebanon both have very nice recreation facilites, Peters Twp less so. Peters and USC have newer, larger homes and less traffic than Lebo. Lebo is more urban-feeling, with more shopping. I grew up in USC and my parents still live there and I prefer it over the other two, but it is a matter of taste. Home prices in USC and Peters are about the same. The schools are good in all 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
There is some bad info in this thread. USC is in Allegheny county not Washington. It is the last county before entering Washington. I do not find that I pay any higher taxes than friends of mine that own similarly valued homes in Bethel, Baldwin etc. Taxes in Allegheny county are higher than in the surrounding counties no matter what municipality you live in. I have a feeling that at some point this will change though. I can't imagine these other counties will not [FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']reassess at some point. I think they are using data from the 1970's[/font].

Old 02-11-2008, 09:31 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,883,491 times
Quote:
Upper St. Clair and Mt. Lebanon both have very nice recreation facilites, Peters Twp less so
Peters bulit a new rec facility, gym and meeting rooms, inside track and weight room. And in the last couple of years added more tennis courts. Aslo a new Library was built when the rec center was.
Peters Township -- Peters Township, Pennsylvania

Peters does not a Township pool, but I don't think USC or MT LEbo have one either. Allegheny county has some public pools and the wave pool is in south park. Cannonsburg has a nice city pool and is 5 min form Peters.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:45 AM

85 posts, read 286,625 times
Wow... I didn't know about that new Peters rec facility. Sounds nice.

Upper St. Clair has no public pool. Neither does Mt. Lebo, but the Dormont public pool is right next door. Mt. Lebo also has an ice rink, although this is close to USC, and USC and Peters are also close to the one at Southpointe.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:30 AM

2,039 posts, read 6,321,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
Peters bulit a new rec facility, gym and meeting rooms, inside track and weight room. And in the last couple of years added more tennis courts. Aslo a new Library was built when the rec center was.
Peters Township -- Peters Township, Pennsylvania

Peters does not a Township pool, but I don't think USC or MT LEbo have one either. Allegheny county has some public pools and the wave pool is in south park. Cannonsburg has a nice city pool and is 5 min form Peters.
The funny thing is, I wasn't crazy about Peter's until I actually moved there. Now, well, the people have definately won me over! I swear, I have the nicest neighbors I have ever had. Amazing! Peter's has everything I need and the way of life there cannot be beat.
Middle to Upper class families, outstanding houses, lots of activities, normal schools (not massive which is nice) and just an all around comforting feeling.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:03 AM

269 posts, read 1,010,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyman View Post
Wow... I didn't know about that new Peters rec facility. Sounds nice.

Upper St. Clair has no public pool. Neither does Mt. Lebo, but the Dormont public pool is right next door. Mt. Lebo also has an ice rink, although this is close to USC, and USC and Peters are also close to the one at Southpointe.

???Mt Lebanon does have a pool. It is outdoors though. It is huge and has a few cool slides, and a bunch of diving boards.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:31 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,321,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by right-here-i-say View Post
???Mt Lebanon does have a pool. It is outdoors though. It is huge and has a few cool slides, and a bunch of diving boards.
SOuth Park has a lot to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh