Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 12:00 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Would city residents be likely to be complicit with the OP's hopes of raising livestock and poultry?
The City relaxed rules on urban agriculture this year. For a $74 dollar permit, if you have a property of at least 2,000 square feet you can have up to five chickens/ducks, two dehorned miniature goats, and two beehives. More animals may be allowed on larger properties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 12:27 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,692,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippy View Post
Have you considered the area surrounding Greensburg? The city of Greensburg has lots of mom-and-pops and cultural amenities, while Hempfield Township, which surrounds Greensburg, has every chain and big box store one would expect in the suburbs. You don't need to go far from Greensburg before you hit rural farmland.

Here are some things that may interest you two:

Downtown Greensburg PA - Shop, Dine, Unwind

The White Rabbit Cafe & Pastisserie - Home

American Adventure Sports: https://m.facebook.com/ameradsports?...2Fameradsports

SummerSounds 2015 - Greensburg's Free Concerts in the Park

Westmorland Museum of American Art: https://www.wmuseumaa.org

28 West Second Gallery: https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=55969991126

Nature's Way Market.

Sarver Hill Farm & CSA

All Saints Brewing Company

Greensburg Community Development Corporation | GCDC | thinkGREENSBURG | Grensburg, PA

Westmoreland Heritage :: Home

If you plan to have children someday, there are also tons of programs and organizations in the area for children.
Too much time has passed for me to edit this post. I just wanted to add that the Downtown Greensburg site launched fairly recently, and they still have a lot of work to do in terms of adding businesses, particularly restaurants. I don't want to give the wrong impression that Greensburg only has four dining establishments, as that is not the case.

Sorry for the mobile links; for those of you on PCs, here are the desktop versions:

American Adventure Sports: https://www.facebook.com/ameradsports

American Adventure Sports also has their own website: American Adventure Sports Cycling Shop

28 West Gallery and Studio Space: https://www.facebook.com/pages/28-We...ce/55969991126

Old 07-28-2015, 12:29 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,592,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
The City relaxed rules on urban agriculture this year. For a $74 dollar permit, if you have a property of at least 2,000 square feet you can have up to five chickens/ducks, two dehorned miniature goats, and two beehives. More animals may be allowed on larger properties.

That is relaxed from the last time I checked. Where does one buy dehorned goats? Asking for a friend.

Old 07-28-2015, 03:42 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,257,754 times
The city of Pittsburgh proper, not to mention the suburbs close and not so close, has plenty of "backwoodsy" kinds of places surprisingly close to the city and within the city limits.

Places like the back of Mt Oliver off of Parkwood Rd., the back of Wittman St. in Westwood, following Lakewood St in Elliott toward the Corliss tunnel, there are plenty of isolated places for you to raise chickens or zucchinis within a very short drive to town.

Old 07-28-2015, 06:37 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,889,927 times
Zelienople and Jackson Township are getting way too expensive. You will need to pay a good price for land. Zelie/Harmony won't allow animals. It's way too upscale now. Rentals aren't cheap either. It will be very tough to find a 2br house for $800. You will be lucky to find a 2br apt for that amount.

You have to understand that the "yoga, meditation, art/culture, outdoor activities, and travel among other things" types have moved in and gentrified the area (downtown Harmony actually has a yoga/gallery). Try Beaver County. You might also look at Ligonier and Armstrong County.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:36 PM

310 posts, read 371,474 times
My suggestion would be out in oakdale, imperial etc. My sister in law lives out past burgettstown But it's a good hour with no traffic (&annoying in traffic on 376) u could always try new swickley township. Very rural but close to cranberry for your restaurants & shopping. I'm Not sure how easy rentals can be found in these areas though. My sister found her rented house by stopping at a gas station in the town & picking up a local "pennysaver"

Old 07-31-2015, 12:32 PM

27 posts, read 28,336 times
I'm kind of in the same boat. We want rural, but are pretty progressive/liberal types, and it feels like it's hard to find a place that's both. Right now we are in the city and want to move...have wanted to move since we started living here basically. We are not city people.

You're also going to have trouble finding a place like that to rent. Before we bought this house, I lived in an apartment that was actually on a farm in Clinton. But that is probably a one of a kind deal. We do like the area out there though and are strongly considering it when we move again.

Old 07-31-2015, 04:50 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,945,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunyaWolf View Post
I'm kind of in the same boat. We want rural, but are pretty progressive/liberal types, and it feels like it's hard to find a place that's both. Right now we are in the city and want to move...have wanted to move since we started living here basically. We are not city people.
That seems like an understatement. I can't really think of anywhere outside of the Pittsburgh city limits I would call "progressive/liberal". PA is notorious for being Pittsburgh and Philly with Alabama in between, and that really begins as soon as you leave Allegheny County.

Maybe Sewickley? Overall, the town went for Obama in 2012. But I don't know how much "rural" they have in that area. I guess it depends on your definition...

Any other ideas?

Old 07-31-2015, 06:09 PM

395 posts, read 488,316 times
I think the area surrounding Greensburg and the area past Robinson are good suggestions. I wouldn't recommend going too much further past Imperial and Oakdale though.

Old 07-31-2015, 06:49 PM

20 posts, read 21,291 times
If me and my husband ever move to Pittsburgh... Will you be our friend? lol

I'm looking for exactly what you are.. So I'm bookmarking this page for future reference!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh